25 REPLIES 25

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's too bad that great Cummins engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. At 90 plus thousand miles and after a lot of maintenance my Dodge is falling apart around the Cummins and this is a 2010 "New" body style.

B.O.

What were/are the problems? Did RAM fix them?

98 RAM bought because of the Cummins figured the truck would fall apart, 400K and still rock solid.

50k on 2011 Dually no issues except crappy General POS tires.

Ditto,
Our 2001 2500 with 274,000 miles is still solid. Drives great with normal maintance.
To the what if the trailer brakes frail? Well new Cummins have the best EB of the big three, I seldom use my service brakes during normal towing,
Really hate to tell you but a semi loaded to 105,000# the two or three axle brakes are not going to much good either!!!

Check the trailer brakes before you leave. If they die I have an awesome EB and service brakes!

Wow... Check the Goat Kool-Aid too before you leave.

I got to say the 05 farm/ranch truck we had (Notice past tense) was falling apart too. The 4x4 not engaging and the cracked manifold was the last straw.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's too bad that great Cummins engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. At 90 plus thousand miles and after a lot of maintenance my Dodge is falling apart around the Cummins and this is a 2010 "New" body style.

B.O.

98 RAM bought because of the Cummins figured the truck would fall apart, 400K and still rock solid.

Ditto,
Our 2001 2500 with 274,000 miles is still solid. Drives great with normal maintance.
To the what if the trailer brakes frail? Well new Cummins have the best EB of the big three, I seldom use my service brakes during normal towing,
Really hate to tell you but a semi loaded to 105,000# the two or three axle brakes are not going to much good either!!!

Check the trailer brakes before you leave. If they die I have an awesome EB and service brakes!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

Ditto,
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
wilber1 wrote:
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The inline 6 will not be able to beat the horsepower of a V8 because the cylinders are larger diameter, and stroke is longer. So the V8 is always able to turn more RPM's and make more horsepower, because HP is torque X RPM.

So even a slightly smaller torque figure X 1,000 more RPM = a lot more horsepower!

That said, the Ford 7.3 Powerstoke in the hands of the right tuner, it can make 1,000 foot pounds of torque, and well into the 500 HP range, well above what the transmission can handle!

Sure Ram can claim it is "Safe" to tow a combined 37,000 GCVWR, but what happens when the brakes fail on the towed trailer? Can it have any chance of stopping such a load on a slight downgrade? What happens when you get off the freeway and find that the trailer wiring harness fell out of it's plug? Or the fuse for the electric brakes tripped, and you should have some braking in a few seconds when it resets?

That is to much of a chance for me. . .

Fred.

I agree the higher reving V8 has more peak HP potential but the six's larger bore and longer stroke will make for more low RPM torque and HP. There are pros and cons to both.

What happens if the trailer brakes fail when towing near GCWR? Not a good thing with any truck. A manufacturer may say you can tow X and they are probably right but what you decide to tow is entirely on you. Maybe it's intended for believers in the 80% rule. I don't.
I have yet to see the mythical "80% Rule" written anywhere by anyone of any authority. Just a lot of bull in my opinion..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gemstone wrote:
"Tailpipe rotting off at muffler"... BO....getting outta the rust belt might fix that. 217K on my '05 and still the original exhaust system.

Regards
Gemstone
My truck has spent every Winter either in Texas or Arizona. Maybe Chrysler should stop using that cheap plain steel exhaust pipe. No rust to be found anywhere under my truck except the exhaust.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
The inline 6 will not be able to beat the horsepower of a V8 because the cylinders are larger diameter, and stroke is longer. So the V8 is always able to turn more RPM's and make more horsepower, because HP is torque X RPM.

So even a slightly smaller torque figure X 1,000 more RPM = a lot more horsepower!

That said, the Ford 7.3 Powerstoke in the hands of the right tuner, it can make 1,000 foot pounds of torque, and well into the 500 HP range, well above what the transmission can handle!

Sure Ram can claim it is "Safe" to tow a combined 37,000 GCVWR, but what happens when the brakes fail on the towed trailer? Can it have any chance of stopping such a load on a slight downgrade? What happens when you get off the freeway and find that the trailer wiring harness fell out of it's plug? Or the fuse for the electric brakes tripped, and you should have some braking in a few seconds when it resets?

Fred.

I agree the higher reving V8 has more peak HP potential but the six's larger bore and longer stroke will make for more low RPM torque and HP. There are pros and cons to both.

What happens if the trailer brakes fail when towing near GCWR? Not a good thing with any truck. A manufacturer may say you can tow X and they are probably right but what you decide to tow is entirely on you. Maybe it's intended for believers in the 80% rule. I don't.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
"the Ford 7.3 Powerstoke in the hands of the right tuner, it can make 1,000 foot pounds of torque, and well into the 500 HP range"

With an off the shelf tuner, you could take the new Cummins up to 200 more pounds of torque and add 135 HP....right in line with the Ford PS. Give 'em a couple of months to engineer for the 2015.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

Gemstone
Explorer
Explorer
"Tailpipe rotting off at muffler"... BO....getting outta the rust belt might fix that. 217K on my '05 and still the original exhaust system.

Regards
Gemstone
'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

They fixed some of it but I'm getting tired of going to the dealer. Oil leak, front crank seal, Oil leak bad crimps on P.S. hose my dollar, Both front axle u-joints went bad, Oil leak transmission, Transmission oil pan coating was coming off, replace pan, Rear axle pinion seal leak, Recall front steering linkage, only took seven months to get the parts, Tailpipe rotting off at muffler, my dollar. Funny the tailpipe on my old 99 Suburban is still the original. Where will this end?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
It's too bad that great Cummins engine comes wrapped in a Dodge. At 90 plus thousand miles and after a lot of maintenance my Dodge is falling apart around the Cummins and this is a 2010 "New" body style.B.O.

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 and other than 1st year emissions issues that have been solved the truck has been flawless over its current 80,000 miles mostly towing.

Can't say the same with friends Ford or Chevy's although their problems are mostly minor.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Current Dodge tow ratings list maximum at 30,000lbs. Is it safe to continually add more power, increase tow ratings more and more every year without increasing the wheelbase, width, weight etc. of tow vehicle? At what point is it too much for a conventional light truck and need for a much bigger tow vehicle or semi rig?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com