cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Ford F-350 Crew Cab LWB Dually 6.7 Mileage

Texas_Roadrunn1
Explorer
Explorer
Our 6.7 liter truck mileage has dropped from the 14-16 mpg range on the highway to around 12-13 mpg when not towing. Truck has about 35,000 miles on it. We have seen mileage in town as low as 10.5 mpg. We have a K&N air filter which has been recently cleaned and we have added Power Service Diesel Kleen Injector Cleaner and Performance Improver to our last tank of fuel without any improvement. Has anyone had similar experience with the Ford 6.7 liter diesel. If so, what was your resolution? Our dealer doesn't seem to want to confront the issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
34 REPLIES 34

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a big heavy F-350 with the 7.3. It gets 20-23.8 mpg empty.
My uncle Alaska Bob was a diesel mechanic for decades. He taught me the importance of getting air in and out of a diesel engine. After market air intakes (not just a different filter) and a new larger 4 inch exhaust system make a big difference.

The head pipe on my stock exhaust was 3 inch in diameter except there was a 90 degree bend that flattened the pipe. Replacing it with an after market 4 inch pipe that is totally round changed the performance of the truck.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
Texas Roadrunner wrote:
Our 6.7 liter truck mileage has dropped from the 14-16 mpg range on the highway to around 12-13 mpg when not towing. Truck has about 35,000 miles on it. We have seen mileage in town as low as 10.5 mpg. We have a K&N air filter which has been recently cleaned and we have added Power Service Diesel Kleen Injector Cleaner and Performance Improver to our last tank of fuel without any improvement. Has anyone had similar experience with the Ford 6.7 liter diesel. If so, what was your resolution? Our dealer doesn't seem to want to confront the issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

My brother has a 2012 F350 SRW and his lifetime average is around 13.5 mpg which is inline with most averages on fuelly (LINK). We also live in the San Antonio area as well and he only tows his 10k travel trailer down to Rockport a few times a year. I remember him complaining of his mileage dropping after a few years of owning it as well and I believe it is still the same way.

Although many things decrease your fuel mileage during the winter like winter blends fuel that was already stated and even the cold air itself. Air becomes more dense as it gets colder and if I recall correctly from one of the fuel economy studies at Cummins, aerodynamic drag increases by 2% for every 10F drop in air temperature. Going from 80F fall weather to 20F like what we have had the past few weeks in the San Antonio region would make for a 12% increase in drag which is inline with the amount of fuel mileage you dropped.

My trucks fuel economy increased a little at around 60k miles and has been steady ever since to my current 137k miles.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
^^^^^. 36k on the engine?

36k bumper to bumper warranty and 100k on engine. For F650/F750 it's 250k on the engine.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Texas Roadrunner wrote:

My brother has a 2012 F350 SRW and his lifetime average is around 13.5 mpg which is inline with most averages on fuelly (LINK). We also live in the San Antonio area as well and he only tows his 10k travel trailer down to Rockport a few times a year. I remember him complaining of his mileage dropping after a few years of owning it as well and I believe it is still the same way.

Although many things decrease your fuel mileage during the winter like winter blends fuel that was already stated and even the cold air itself. Air becomes more dense as it gets colder and if I recall correctly from one of the fuel economy studies at Cummins, aerodynamic drag increases by 2% for every 10F drop in air temperature. Going from 80F fall weather to 20F like what we have had the past few weeks in the San Antonio region would make for a 12% increase in drag which is inline with the amount of fuel mileage you dropped.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^. 36k on the engine?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Reinstall your filter to original, then have the shop reflash your ECM. Your 36,000 warranty is about up so he will make money very soon.
My Thought Your Tow

hondapro
Explorer
Explorer
Throw away the K&N replace it with the stock Motorcraft filter.The winter blend fuel is affecting tour fuel economy
Steve
2023 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
2022 Keystone Sprinter 32BH
B&W Companion

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
The 6.7 Power Stroke pulls major air volume thru the air filter. Be very careful of any aftermarket air filter.

I also agree with the ones who state winter blend fuel affecting fuel economy.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
we had an K&N filter on our 8.1 chev and it didn't let the dogs out but let the dirt in. Very surprised what we saw in the intake tube.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
I agree with the others, probably winter blend fuel. I would lose that K&N as well. They have their place but never on a turbo diesel.

I have ran the AFE big cone type oiled filter on my 98 12V for 300k no issues. The difference my truck has NO SENSORS.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

I had the K & N on my old Ford V-10 and it had its place there
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with the others, probably winter blend fuel. I would lose that K&N as well. They have their place but never on a turbo diesel.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something ain't right. Diesels need air flow in and air flow out. Check your fuel filter, exhaust system, and sensors.

I really like the AIRE air intake and have a 4 inch exhaust. With a simple tuner your mileage can be increased. It sounds like something else is going on that should be easy to find with a computer.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Winter blend fuel (x3 or 4) in your area due to recent colder than normal temps, esp in TX.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I think the mileage you are reporting is REALITY. It's a BIG/HEAVY truck it aint going to get great mileage. Yes winter fuel does matter.