138 REPLIES 138

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
otrfun wrote:
brulaz wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I'll be interested when they increase fuel capacity and add an exhaust brake.
That and increase the payload over 1700#.
Maybe the lower trim King Cabs will approach 2000#.
If you're looking at 4x4's, only the current crop of lower-trim level big-bore 3/4 tons will have an exhaust brake and 2000++ lbs. of payload. FYI, payload on some of the fully-loaded, high-trim level, 4x4, big-bore 3/4 ton diesels drop below 2000 lbs.

According to tlftrucks.com's review, the Nissan XD Cummins 4x2 Crew Cab has 2093 lbs. of payload.
Right, but the payload rating on the 3/4 diesels is pretty meaningless. I'd like to see the axle rating on the new Titan as that's likely a better indicator of how it compares to the big diesels.

There are some things I don't like about this newTitan but it's going to fill a niche for some people.
Yes, for some the 3/4 ton payload ratings are meaningless. For others, not so meaningless.

Sorta like speed limits.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
. . . Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don
IMO, Toyota is still taking a wait and see attitude on a 1/2 ton, diesel powered Tundra. They took two huge steps back from all the hoopla and rumors they generated two years ago about a possible introduction of a Cummins powered Tundra in 2016.

I believe Toyota is still very gun-shy from all the marketing issues that resulted after the introduction of the 2007 Tundra. The subsequent downturn in sales in 2008 and beyond impacted the Tundra more so than the Big 3, 1/2 tons. Although they've dominated most facets of the car market at one time or another, the 1/2 ton truck segment has been a slippery slope for Toyota.

Anyhow, get the impression they've already got all the necessary R&D completed for a 1/2 ton diesel rollout in 2017--when the new 2017 CAFE standards take affect. It goes without saying they're closely watching sales of the Ecodiesel and future sales of the Nissan XD Cummins. IMO, even the slightest negative trend in the sales of these two trucks would give pause to Toyota and cause them to rethink any 1/2 ton diesel plans---even at the 11th hour.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
brulaz wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
If you're looking at 4x4's, only the current crop of lower-trim level big-bore 3/4 tons will have an exhaust brake and 2000++ lbs. of payload. FYI, payload on some of the fully-loaded, high-trim level, 4x4, big-bore 3/4 ton diesels drop below 2000 lbs.

According to tlftrucks.com's review, the Nissan XD Cummins 4x2 Crew Cab has 2093 lbs. of payload.

Right, but the payload rating on the 3/4 diesels is pretty meaningless. I'd like to see the axle rating on the new Titan as that's likely a better indicator of how it compares to the big diesels.

There are some things I don't like about this newTitan but it's going to fill a niche for some people.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Hope I don't regret buying the EcoD. But then again, I am not towing anything big.

I bet Dodge/RAM is asking themselves the same question.

I bet we aren't, we have a lock on the 6.7 as the only manufacture that can use that engine up to the 650/6500 series trucks. So we didn't need a V8 diesel. Ram went for fuel mileage for the 1500 diesel letting the consumer decide what is important to them. Want to tow a larger RV get the 2500, want to tow a mid sized RV or most any boat get the 1500 with the Eco-Diesel.

My 2004 Ram 5.9 was rated at 305/555 this V8 is rated at 315/555 so it is going to be a great towing engine and still make good fuel mileage. Not the same as the Eco-Diesel but should fall in around the Eco-Boost numbers. Looks like a good fit for Nissan and Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don

Rumours of a Tundra Diesel using this engine, but I think that and so do Cummins, that this engine will have more applications in a Motorhome, replacing the V10 Petrol engine. They keep on mentioning it as a replacement for a " V10" in their various PR releases

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Hope I don't regret buying the EcoD. But then again, I am not towing anything big.

I bet Dodge/RAM is asking themselves the same question.

I bet we aren't, we have a lock on the 6.7 as the only manufacture that can use that engine up to the 650/6500 series trucks. So we didn't need a V8 diesel. Ram went for fuel mileage for the 1500 diesel letting the consumer decide what is important to them. Want to tow a larger RV get the 2500, want to tow a mid sized RV or most any boat get the 1500 with the Eco-Diesel.

My 2004 Ram 5.9 was rated at 305/555 this V8 is rated at 315/555 so it is going to be a great towing engine and still make good fuel mileage. Not the same as the Eco-Diesel but should fall in around the Eco-Boost numbers. Looks like a good fit for Nissan and Toyota. Does anyone know if Toyota is still building a diesel pick up or did they scrap it? Have not heard anything about it.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
brulaz wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
brulaz wrote:
The news embargo is over and both FastLane Trucks and PickupTrucks.com have posted reviews:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/11/2016-nissan-titan-xd-first-drive.html

Apparently no exhaust brake.

Looks more and more like a heavy, luxury, diesel half-ton.
Nice reviews. Appears this truck has NVH characteristics comparable to a luxury sedan. Little surprised there was no comment about fuel economy. Maybe I missed it.

If you're a prospective or current 1/2 tonner that wants to "step-up" to "real" diesel grunt, experience the above average MPG's a diesel typically provides, and have at your disposal extremely competitive 1/2 ton tow/payload numbers, the Nissan Cummins appears to be an attractive option.

I can see this truck being popular for those wanting to tow TT's with GVWR's of 8k-10k. Sure, many 1/2 ton gassers have the power/ratings to pull 8k-10k, however, some feel they exhibit too much NVH (and less than stellar fuel economy) while doing so.

According to tlftruck.com: "Nissanโ€™s research says that nearly 150,000 truck buyers every year find a light duty truck not enough, and a 3/4 ton heavy duty truck too much."

As long as the 5.0 V8 Cummins proves as reliable as the 6.7 Cummins AND provides 20% better MPG's (vs 1/2 ton gassers) as Nissan advertises, IMO it'll do extremely well competing in the most popular $45k-$55k 1/2 ton segment.

It'll be interesting to see how much this truck eats into the 3/4 ton segment. IMO, if you're one that needs/wants a 3/4 ton, either by the "numbers" or on some emotional level, the Nissan Cummins is probably not your best choice.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
The news embargo is over and both FastLane Trucks and PickupTrucks.com have posted reviews:

Nice review, might be a good truck. Not a heavy duty model for sure, but I may pick it over any half ton on the market.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
otrfun wrote:
There's a very good reason why you'll never see a diesel engine in an Indy 500 race car.
Well, Not Quite True ๐Ÿ˜‰
Neat story! Who woulda known! I certainly didn't.

Interesting to note the Cummins diesel was allowed a huge displacement advantage over the gas engines for that particular race. Cummins didn't bring the car back the following year because they fully expected Indy to change the displacement rule to balance the playing field.

Don Cummins wasn't disappointed. Cummins got a lot of free publicity and a huge sales boost by taking advantage of that displacement loophole and winning the pole position. All said and done that was their true end goal. He was happy.

If that turbo inlet hadn't clogged, who knows, the Cummins diesel mighta won ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the link, thomasmnile!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Growing up in the Midwest, I was a big fan of Indy as a kid. Never attended a race, but always listened on the radio; was so much better then because you had to use your imagination while listening to Sid Collins and others calling the race. Better than TV I thought............

Those were the days; darn I sound like an old fart!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
That was it.

Thanks again for the article. I had no idea that the Cummins brand that is going into this new truck has such a racing history. It will be interesting to see if this Titan will be a hit or not. Time will tell.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
otrfun wrote:
There's a very good reason why you'll never see a diesel engine in an Indy 500 race car.

Well, Not Quite True ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ya beat me to it! Mr Clessie Cummins was quite a guy!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD