Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F450 shooting flames :0

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Story as posted on Social Media:
My brand new 2017 F450 King Ranch!! (On fire) Didn't even own it for 10 hours and Ford Canada said its not there problem!!!

Video:
LINK & LINK 2

Not sure on the background or what the issue is, but clearly there's a problem!!!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
45 REPLIES 45

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Ford says it was caused by "an improper repair after production."

To me that sounds like a fix that was made in the repair department at the assembly plant, prior to delivery to the dealer.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I'm still scratching my head at page 1.

NOWHERE in that letter does Ford refuse to do anything about the issue. In fact they expressly said they would fix it under warranty.

The owner is just reacting irrationally. Rather than have this turn into yet another skewed media circus, Ford smartly reversed course and bought back the truck.

The term "death trap" was probably bandied about. News flash: EVERY vehicle on the road is a DEATH TRAP. Better just stay home and hide under the covers.

I agree. The letter does not reconcile with the story. Could you imagine if every warranty repair necessitated a buy back? The air bag recalls alone would be a huge buy back.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm still scratching my head at page 1.

NOWHERE in that letter does Ford refuse to do anything about the issue. In fact they expressly said they would fix it under warranty.

The owner is just reacting irrationally. Rather than have this turn into yet another skewed media circus, Ford smartly reversed course and bought back the truck.

The term "death trap" was probably bandied about. News flash: EVERY vehicle on the road is a DEATH TRAP. Better just stay home and hide under the covers.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I wonder if they would let me borrow that truck , I need to burn the weeds off my fence row

Smores?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if they would let me borrow that truck , I need to burn the weeds off my fence row

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
boshog wrote:
garyp4951 wrote:
boshog wrote:
It is obvious fuel is getting into the exhaust system but where is the fuel coming from? The engine sounds normal so not likely a stuck injector, I'm thinking someone put diesel in the DEF tank, is this a possibility?

Congratulations on the correct answer.:)

Thanks but I think I was wrong.

Yet another story said it was from an improper repair. I think the oil line to the turbo somehow feed engine oil into the exhaust system.

Here is the link, it was posted earlier here.
F450 flame thrower

Yeah, not diesel in the DEF tank. Fords not going to tell anyone what the real findings were, they are just going to blow sunshine up everyones you know what.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
There wasn't anything wrong with the truck. She got the Braveheart Edition (shoots fire instead of lightning, but they had trouble working out the electronics for that).
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
This isn't anything new, the 6.4 did this also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEYVjXh1RPM
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/news/08sdrecall/08sdrecall.html

"Ford safety spokesman Dan Jarvis told PickupTruck.com today that, "The video is definitely one of the three trucks we described last week (see below, in the original story). It was sent to us by one of our dealers in Canada, where two of the trucks in the recall were located, and it illustrates why we took action so quickly. We wanted to alleviate any potential safety concerns about this issue right away.

They must not feel that way any more?

NOTE, I posted this before I found out that Ford or the dealer did in deed step up and bought the truck back. Funny though Bird Freak thinks just because someone posted this that doesn't own a Ford, they must be bashing! :R
I find it funny you believe you know what I think when you can't even comprehend what I said. I never said anyone was bashing. I said he likes to stir the pot like you do.:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
ib516 wrote:
If anyone is referring to me as a Ram Fanboy, you'd be wrong.

I'm shopping for a new Toyota (or maybe a GM Canyon/Colorado), not a RAM. I might shop for a Ford too if they bring back the Ranger like the rumors say. I just thought it was an interesting tow vehicle story.

But, you're welcome to whatever opinion of me you want to have. 🙂

If they are talking about me, I have no more Mopars in my garage or driveway! They are all Fords! That's not to say I won't own another one. Just the way it worked out. If when the time comes I want to replace the X it will be a MegaCab!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to YouTube "The reason behind Ford's 2008 Super Duty Truck recall" flame thrower exhaust.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
boshog wrote:
It is obvious fuel is getting into the exhaust system but where is the fuel coming from? The engine sounds normal so not likely a stuck injector, I'm thinking someone put diesel in the DEF tank, is this a possibility?

Congratulations on the correct answer.:)

Thanks but I think I was wrong.

Yet another story said it was from an improper repair. I think the oil line to the turbo somehow feed engine oil into the exhaust system.

Here is the link, it was posted earlier here.
F450 flame thrower

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:

I'm shopping for a new Toyota (or maybe a GM Canyon/Colorado), not a RAM. I might shop for a Ford too if they bring back the Ranger like the rumors say. I just thought it was an interesting tow vehicle story.

a single man arrived at our winter park with a brand new Colorado duramax and a very small TT for a 6 months stay to test if he likes to rv. He loves the truck but now knows the TT is toooo small. He had to stay in Boise for 3 days because the injector in the exhaust had a problem. I want to see the engine but he didn't bite when I hinted but it will happen. good luck on your new truck decision.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

NOTE, I posted this before I found out that Ford or the dealer did in deed step up and bought the truck back. Funny though Bird Freak thinks just because someone posted this that doesn't own a Ford, they must be bashing! :R

And one guy complaining does not even own a diesel.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV