cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 ford super duty trucks

JOHNL
Explorer
Explorer
Has Ford Motor Co went crazy with the height of their new trucks? I have a fifth wheel camper and 2013 Ford F350 duly. Wanted to buy new truck but cannot due to its height. I have independent suspension which is to hard to change so I guess Ford threw me under the bus with their new height.
26 REPLIES 26

llr
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure about the bed rail heights but the 2017 ford 250/350 was about 2 inches higher overall then the chevy/doge 2500/3500, enough to not fit in a standard height garage

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
This trend has been going on for some time. My old Tundra was high too. I'm 6"2" and need a small step ladder to get up on the tailgate of my 2016 CTD in my sig. Part of that is due to the 60 year old legs and knees.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
One reason (of many) I went 3500 rather than 2500 is due to the fact the SRW 3500 sits exactly 2in lower in the rear than the 2500. Coils vs leaf springs I guess. The over the top height of these new trucks doesn't make sense to me either.

It's the macho look.....:h

I suppose. But for those of us that actually use the trucks for their intended purpose it sure is inconvenient.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
Not to start a truck war. I had read about this issue with the new trucks. I lucked out with my Silverado 3500 but it was close. When hitched up everything is level and my height is 13'6" with 6" bed rail clearance. It's a shame all the manufactures feel a need to lift them up so high. And yes I had to put nerf bars on mine (also six feet tall) to be able to comfortably get into and out of it.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not only do they keep making trucks taller, they keep making fivers taller as well. At some point it is no longer an option to raise the fifth wheel.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Greene728 wrote:
One reason (of many) I went 3500 rather than 2500 is due to the fact the SRW 3500 sits exactly 2in lower in the rear than the 2500. Coils vs leaf springs I guess. The over the top height of these new trucks doesn't make sense to me either.

It's the macho look.....:h
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
What I did not like was the height of the bed walls. By the time I got the trailer high enough to give me good clearance, I experienced "chucking" going down the highway. With only four inches of clearance it rode fine but that was too close for me.,

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
They all suck! I even had to put a step on my 4x2 06 to get into my #%^& truck and I'm 6'!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

JOHNL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Mobile Suite which is 13'4" already and I independent suspension which I can't flip easily. Ford told me it's a small segment of their business (pulling campers) Evidently they haven't checked campground in this country.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the Ford is any taller than the Ram. The GMs might be a little shorter but only marginally. I think the dually versions of all of them are lower than the SRW, or at least they appear to be visually. Maybe they're not but just look shorter because they're wider.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
They're all the same. Only real solution is to raise the 5th wheel. Lots of options for that.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley