ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Ups Power, Torque, Hauling Capabilities for 2017 Super Duty Pickups
July 18, 2016
SHARING TOOLS | PrintSubscribe
Photo: Ford
Photo: Ford
Ford Motorโ€™s 2017 F-Series Super Duty pickups with aluminum bodies have higher engine output ratings and more towing and hauling capability than ever, while โ€œsmartโ€ technologies make backing and monitoring trailers easier, the company announced Monday.

"Military-grade" aluminum alloy and high-strength steel help reduce weight by up to 350 pounds, depending on cab configuration, compared to earlier models, the announcement said. More robust components throughout the chassis also enable the higher hauling capacities.

The 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 turbo diesel boosts horsepower to 440 and torque to a class-leading 925 lb-ft for all F-250 to F-450 pickups, and the 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine's torque goes to 430 lb-ft with 385 hp. said Doug Scott, Fordโ€™s truck marketing manager.

ADVERTISEMENT
โ€œThis is the best heavy-duty truck weโ€™ve ever made,โ€ he said. โ€œWe listened to our customers and created the toughest, smartest and most capable Super Duty ever.โ€

Foundational improvements for 2017 Super Duty pickups include fully boxed frame rails and redesigned crossmembers that are more than 95% high-strength steel, and are up to 24 times stiffer than the previous frame to support increased towing and hauling. The new aluminum-alloy body is more dent and ding resistant than the previous steel body.

Fordโ€™s F-450 Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4 now has a maximum gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 pounds โ€“ 1,290 pounds more than its nearest competitor, a regular cab two-door pickup, Scott said. Maximum fifth-wheel towing is increased to 27,500 โ€“ 2,500 pounds better than the nearest competitor.

Maximum conventional towing is increased to 21,000 pounds โ€“ 1,000 pounds better than the nearest competitorsโ€™ trucks and without the need for a weight-distributing hitch. Maximum conventional towing for an F-250 with the new trailer tow package, and F-350 single-rear wheel pickup, are increased to 18,000 pounds.

Maximum gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer now tops out at a class-leading 41,800 pounds. That is more than half the maximum weight of an 18-wheel tractor-trailer combination on most federal highways, he said.

Super Duty also offers adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support for heavy trailers, allowing drivers to traverse steep mountain grades while maintaining speed, even with a gooseneck trailer weighing 32,500 pounds.

A center high-mounted stop lamp camera provides visibility into the cargo box, which is especially helpful when hooking up gooseneck and fifth-wheel trailers. An Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System uses four digital, high-definition cameras to give the driver a 360-degree birdโ€™s-eye view surrounding Super Duty.

Trailer Reverse Guidance provides visual cues and tips to help ease backing up a trailer. A first-ever factory-available trailer camera can be custom-placed on a trailer to improve visibility backing up.

A Blind Spot Information System, or BLIS, with trailer tow includes the length of the trailer up to 33 feet long; BLIS uses radar sensors in the tail lamps to monitor areas that may not otherwise be visible to the driver. Tire pressures can be monitored from inside the cab while stopped or moving.

Maximum payload of the 2017 Super Duty F-350 is 7,630 pounds, which Scott said is more than any competitor. The F-250โ€™s maximum payload is 4,200 pounds, or 600 pounds over its nearest competitor.

Diesel and gasoline engines use a TorqShift six-speed SelectShift automatic transmission. The F-250 pickup with 6.2-liter gasoline V-8 gets a new TorqShift-G six-speed automatic for improved fuel economy and capability.

The Super Duty series goes on sale this fall.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
11 REPLIES 11

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
Me Again wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Also the 6.2 gas engine got a bump in torque to 430ft/lbs.

Surprised they didn't at least bleed 1 more out of it to best the 6.4 Hemi @ 430. Obviously, Ford is aware of Ram's # and it's a funny chess move to just pull even ๐Ÿ™‚

Only if you truly believe that it is a race. GM does not seem to think so, nor do they buyers.

I think the whole thing is pretty silly, however there are those that think it is a really BIG deal and base there purchase on being the biggest, fastest or having best manufacturers numbers, and are welling to over look things like reliability and outstanding warranties. Chris
X2
I believe that is the way the more mature segment of truck buyers see it.

My comment is not in reference to any poster here, rather of the general public.

I agree but at the same time, look at this forum. How many threads get shut down because guys go back and forth over the performance of their trucks and fighting about whose is the better and stronger.

Its not only silly but I'm quite sure many of them are just old out of shape guys who live vicariously through their trucks. They equate their big strong truck with their own manhood. :S

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Surprised they didn't at least bleed 1 more out of it to best the 6.4 Hemi @ 430. Obviously, Ford is aware of Ram's # and it's a funny chess move to just pull even ๐Ÿ™‚

Only if you truly believe that it is a race. GM does not seem to think so, nor do they buyers.

I think the whole thing is pretty silly, however there are those that think it is a really BIG deal and base there purchase on being the biggest, fastest or having best manufacturers numbers, and are welling to over look things like reliability and outstanding warranties. Chris
X2
I believe that is the way the more mature segment of truck buyers see it.

My comment is not in reference to any poster here, rather of the general public.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I think the whole thing is pretty silly, however there are those that think it is a really BIG deal and base their purchase on being the biggest, fastest or having best manufacturers numbers, and are welling to over look things like reliability and outstanding warranties. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Threebigfords wrote:
Interesting that they didn't actually increase the HP on the 6.7 diesels, just the torque.

I wonder if this is a similar hedge against the competition as when they first introduced the 6.7 in 2011 below 400hp and then almost immediately offered a reflash to 400hp in response to Chevy pushing the Dmax to 397hp?

I bet with the weight reduction, they probably felt comfortable that the 2017's would still feel quicker/ pull harder than the competition even without big power gains.

Well at least those of us that bought the last of the 2015/16's due to styling won't feel like we got left too far behind in the power department. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Although I still would have liked to see 500/1000!

I don't believe the full deck of cards have been displayed. Kind of like the next gen 3.5 Eco Boost HP numbers were originally reported as being the same and then later both HP and Torque numbers went up.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that they didn't actually increase the HP on the 6.7 diesels, just the torque.

I wonder if this is a similar hedge against the competition as when they first introduced the 6.7 in 2011 below 400hp and then almost immediately offered a reflash to 400hp in response to Chevy pushing the Dmax to 397hp?

I bet with the weight reduction, they probably felt comfortable that the 2017's would still feel quicker/ pull harder than the competition even without big power gains.

Well at least those of us that bought the last of the 2015/16's due to styling won't feel like we got left too far behind in the power department. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Although I still would have liked to see 500/1000!
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very impressive numbers and so the bar has been raised.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
With those big weights in tow, they really need to use a transmission with an hydraulic fan retarder on the back of it. The Allison MD3060CR would be a great choice.

Also, at those weights, they need to include a trailer air brake control system.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
It is impressive numbers. I am happy with my 900 ft. lbs. of torque. It will be interesting what Ram does in 2019... ๐Ÿ™‚
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
And, from memory, that is still the best HP; just for all you "HP is how the work gets done" fans!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
440/925 is nothing to sneeze at, but it isn't the 500/1000 that people were speculating.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010