cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017+ Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Filter

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I stumbled across an interesting video where the owner describes his field fix and spare fittings he now carries.

2017 and newer Powerstroke Fuel Filter

For those that owner these newer Fords, is the fuel filter and housing one integrated unit that require removing those three fuel lines to replace the filter?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
50 REPLIES 50

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
harmanrk wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

When you buy the kit, it comes with both filters (You may be able to buy them individually, but I did not see that as an option when I ordered mine), so I don't know why you would not replace them together.

When I bought mine they came in kits as well but I don't change fuel filters unless i feel there is some reason to. So on one truck I changed the primary when I had a problem with the fuel gelling. Changing the primary was enough to get me going again. The other truck had its primary filter changed after putting DEF into the fuel tank. I disconnected the fuel line at the under hood filter and pumped all the fuel out of the truck through the low pressure side. After emptying the tank I changed the primary filter just to be sure I had gotten all the DEF out of the system. So far I haven't come across any need to change the fuel filter on my latest truck..... it only has about 25000 miles on it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Lynnmor wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
the under hood filter is the same as on my 14, one of the eaisest fuel filters I have changed in a newer vehical. no special tools needed and very easy to get off. the only issue I have come up with is it hanging up in the bracket at times.

Steve

I believe that a 2014 has two fuel lines attached to the filter and the 2017 has three, with the added fuel line being the tiny fragile one.

I will have to check, you might be right. I need to do my filters again in a couple weeks.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
harmanrk wrote:

That said, I have the replacement filter in front of me, and it certainly appears that all three lines are sturdy. Yes, one is half the diameter as the others, but the plastic is nearly the same thickness.

Did you actual watch the video?

It is not the fitting in the filter that is the issue, it is with the quick disconnect fitting on the return hose that attaches to the filter.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

Remind me never to buy a used vehicle from you!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

harmanrk
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

When you buy the kit, it comes with both filters (You may be able to buy them individually, but I did not see that as an option when I ordered mine), so I don't know why you would not replace them together.

That said, I have the replacement filter in front of me, and it certainly appears that all three lines are sturdy. Yes, one is half the diameter as the others, but the plastic is nearly the same thickness.
2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
the under hood filter is the same as on my 14, one of the eaisest fuel filters I have changed in a newer vehical. no special tools needed and very easy to get off. the only issue I have come up with is it hanging up in the bracket at times.

Steve

I believe that a 2014 has two fuel lines attached to the filter and the 2017 has three, with the added fuel line being the tiny fragile one.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

Well, then don't get mad when people take your words as yelling or disrespectful. Just saying, you might get a little further with people if you didn't talk to them that way. You can do what you want, but they can do what they want in return as well. I will just continue to return disrespect with disrespect. Makes no difference to me.

I have used caps for emphasis for a word or phase for years. No one ever called me out on it. You need to get OVER yourself and realize that CUMMINS12V98 has just as much right to be here as you do! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo, are you opposed to changing from the top and if so why? I assume you would like to give the turbo spin, check boost clamps and look for hose wear as I pictured.

Not at all, first change didnโ€™t have a stool to get tall enough to work over the fender. The through the wheel well was the best option at the time.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Well, then don't get mad when people take your words as yelling or disrespectful."

As I said not one person in the 16,155 posts I have made here has accused me of yelling.

Disrespect? Yea alright!

Please BLOCK me!!! Was that yelling? YOU decide.

I'm out.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo, are you opposed to changing from the top and if so why? I assume you would like to give the turbo spin, check boost clamps and look for hose wear as I pictured.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Sorry I was NOT yelling, your interpretation NOT mine. I clearly stated what I meant, guess that was not good enough.

Funny you just now make this comment as this is how "I" convey what I am trying to say. Been doing so ever since joining this and other forums I belong to, NEVER have I been accused of yelling.

Well, then don't get mad when people take your words as yelling or disrespectful. Just saying, you might get a little further with people if you didn't talk to them that way. You can do what you want, but they can do what they want in return as well. I will just continue to return disrespect with disrespect. Makes no difference to me.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
After having done it a couple of times - I find the CTD filter change using the fender cut out access very easy 15 minutes max. A filter cap is a must to keep from making a mess. Easier in opinion than the older CTDs and having to do it from the bottom.

Well on our 2016 I worked through the wheel well, on the one change so far (purchased used 12/31/2018), a little oil spilled, but not bad, may get a cap.
DD 2004 pull the filter to turbo hose, easy pesy two screw clamps, chance to check turbo for play. Filter out the top.
Same on the previous 2001, turbo hose off and out the top.
Bad was 89 F250 7.5L (AKA 460) when you removed the filter oil ran on to the cross member.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"WHY ARE YOU YELLING CERTAIN WORDS AT ME? "

Seriously??? I emphasize a couple words and I am YELLING???

Didn't think you were the sensitive type. :B

That is what capital letters mean when you type them, yelling. It is a bit rude to do hence the reason why respectable(and normal) people don't do it unless they are mad or purposely being disrespectful to someone. Maybe that is why so many people here are at odds with you.

Sorry I was NOT yelling, your interpretation NOT mine. I clearly stated what I meant, guess that was not good enough.

Funny you just now make this comment as this is how "I" convey what I am trying to say. Been doing so ever since joining this and other forums I belong to, NEVER have I been accused of yelling.

Anything else you want to complain about?