cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 Expedition - Rear spring upgrade

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter's family of 6 tows their 28' Jayco with a 2018 Expeditiontion Max. With the family and additional cargo the rear end drops quite a bit. The rear suspension is "coil over shock" so air springs or standard "helper springs" can't be used.

Is it safe to load the weight distribution bars/springs and big the rear up to the unloaded height even with a full load in the vehicle ?
10 REPLIES 10

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Independent rear suspension (IRS) and adding helper springs introduces different moments & loading vs a live axle.

Also, the lower link is at an angle. As would be the pivot point at the pumpkin attachment area to handle the cantilever moment, the tire/pavement has both forward and reverse.

The stoutness between a live axle and IRS has the Live axle's ability higher.

With that, adding a higher rate coil spring, a better approach vs any of the aux springs that place their contact point on that lower link.

Suggest looking into the highest WD Bars to get more weight off of the TV's rear and WD'd to the TV's front...of course within the TT's tongue 'actual' weight.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I'd donate $20 and an hour my my time to take some measurements and adjust the WDH at a CAT scale before any suspension upgrades.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Likely the only thing you can upgrade is installing the Sumo spring cushion deal.
But no one knows how much weight and how the vehicle/hitch is setup except you and yours.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:

Does her Expedition have the Max Trailer tow package

Yes

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
The legal class that the Expedition and the F150 are in require them to have crumple zones in the rear of the frames just in front of the bumper. I freely admit that I don't know what the factory logic is but they don't recommend using the weight distributing hitch on those vehicles to move a lot of weight forward. I suspect that the stresses on the crumple zone have a lot to do with that.

For the 2018 Expedition Ford recommends measuring how much the front of the truck rises when the trailer tongue is dropped on the hitch. Then, adjust the bars to reduce that rise by 1/2. This is independent of any weight in the vehicle.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't think the weight distribution hitch should be used to level the Expedition for the loads placed in the Expedition. Same for any pick-up truck. Compensate for trailer hitch weight only.

If you can shift some items to the trailer for transit it will help.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Sumo spring rubber in the rear would help, as would E rated tires. I would adjust the weight distribution bars to the point where you get a level ride when hitched up and loaded.

blt2ski
Replacing the coil springs is another option, assuming brakes and axel can handle the additional weight too!
Not sure where you are at, but usually in most major cities, there is a spring shop that can replace you current leaf/coil springs with a higher capacity amount, or one that is stiffer as you compress the setup. I've done this on a few trucks int he past with great success.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Generally thatโ€™s the point of a wdh, yes. Not necessarily all the way back to unloaded height.
Given the RV mentality or propensity to use a wdh even when not needed, your situation is actually what they were made for.
Are you suggesting they donโ€™t have a wdh or that they get a heavier one?
Ignorantly transferring more weight than should be, to counteract a suspension that is grossly overloaded seems like a bad idea, but within reason, you nailed it. Good wdh should keep em rolling !
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want to bring the rear end up to the unloaded height? Springs are supposed to to compress with load. Kinda how they work.

Follow the owners manual. You setup the WD bars based on partial front-axle ride-height restoration.

If they are filling all the seats and towing that 28' trailer, they might be overloading the rear tires... Adding ride-height won't fix that.

Does her Expedition have the Max Trailer tow package? This comes with better shocks. It won't change the ride-height but it'll feel more controlled with a heavy load.

That all said... SuperSprings makes a coil Sumo-spring for the Expedition.
https://www.superspringsinternational.com/shop/css-1168/
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST