cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 Amp Plug Diagram

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A while back, I was having a 30 amp plug installed at my home, and someone posted a great wiring diagram. I've tried searching for it in my posts but can't find it - even with the advanced search, searching the archives.

The reason is that I need to give it to a friend who just bought a used 2018 TT and now that it is home, he is having trouble with the AC. I went to the inspection with him and it was working fine.

The previous owner of his home had a nice RV parking spot set up with a plug. My friend said that he couldn't plug in because the receptacle was wrong - so he went and bought the correct one for a 30 amp RV plug and installed it himself.

So during his first driveway camping adventure, he stated that the AC started making funny noises and dripping cold water and not cooling so great, which sounds like the coil was freezing up.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that the voltage/wiring is wrong. I told him to have it checked out, but having that diagram would be helpful.

Am I on the right track as to what the issue could be?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
13 REPLIES 13

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
After your response to SoundGuy I almost didn't post this but your friend needs more help than you can give him.
RV electric
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Take it off low fan and auto put it to hi on and let it run those issues will go away

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Before messing with the power source wiring, I'd get up on the roof, pull the A/C shroud, and clean the fins, as well as making sure the drip tray is clean.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
First thing to look at is the breaker box to make sure it has a single pole 30A breaker.
Test outlet for voltage.
If none of this makes sense, a certified electrician is in order.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Having a EMS will help with the power problem. If it's not correct it will not work. Better than finding out after the fact.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fins shouldn't freeze up if the fan is running enough air over them. Fin freeze up is generally due to something restricting the air flow over the fins. Blower motor getting weak and not turning fast enough, blower motor running backwards (yes I have seen that first hand), filter not clean enough, something obstructing the ducts, etc.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest danger with "30 amp" receptacles in a house is that they may be wired 230v rather than 120v. 3 wire 230v receptacles are commonly used to connect hot water heaters or clothes dryers. So be sure the receptacle wiring is only to a single pole breaker!
Currently Between RVs

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Doubtful source wiring is the cause of his A/C issue - it's either right or it's wrong and if the latter then the A/C not working will be the least of his problems. 😞 Power any rig incorrectly and there's sure to be problems, not just with the A/C but just about anything electrical. Amazing how so many will fool with electricity when they clearly don't know what they're doing. :E :h

2012Coleman wrote:
No Sh!t Sherlock. Thanks Cpt. Obvious....

Which exactly illustrates my point - if this isn't obvious to your friend then he'd be doing himself a huge favour by not fooling with this himself and instead getting someone involved who does know what they're doing. That would appear to not be yourself. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
edbehnke wrote:
google is always good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=installing+a+30+amp+service+in+home+for+rv&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Making links clickable is good, too...

Link
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
The previous owner of his home had a nice RV parking spot set up with a plug. My friend said that he couldn't plug in because the receptacle was wrong - so he went and bought the correct one for a 30 amp RV plug and installed it himself.

So during his first driveway camping adventure, he stated that the AC started making funny noises and dripping cold water and not cooling so great, which sounds like the coil was freezing up.

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that the voltage/wiring is wrong. I told him to have it checked out, but having that diagram would be helpful.

Doubtful source wiring is the cause of his A/C issue - it's either right or it's wrong and if the latter then the A/C not working will be the least of his problems. 😞 Power any rig incorrectly and there's sure to be problems, not just with the A/C but just about anything electrical. Amazing how so many will fool with electricity when they clearly don't know what they're doing. :E :h
No Sh!t Sherlock. Thanks Cpt. Obvious....

DS - I'll send the pic to him - thanks.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Air conditioners are suppose to drip, and if the humidity is high, yes, they can drip a lot.

Weird noises from the air conditioner could be a result of LOW voltage.

Freezing up means the air conditioner is simply set too cold initially and will run constantly, non stop (compressor). The compressor needs to cycle on and off which gives the fins a chance to thaw with ambient heat. If the humidity is very high and the air conditioner runs non-stop, they can ice up. Simple solution is to set the thermostat so the air conditioner just turns on. Let it cycle till it turns itself off. Wait a few minutes and then lower the thermostat till it kicks on again. Wait for it to shut off, then lower the the thermostat a pinch again. Repeat this, giving the compressor and the fins a chance to "thaw". I had this happen only once in my previous camper, and it happened once in our house. Ever since, I've been a little less aggressive when initially turning on the air conditioners. See if that helps.

However, if it's icing up, you won't have dripping.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
google is always good.

https://www.google.com/search?q=installing+a+30+amp+service+in+home+for+rv&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015