cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First TT purchase ?? about Dealer discounts & any advice

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
TIA for any advice. I plan to purchase a TT soon. I have looked at our only local dealer (CW) and their discounts are incredible. Is that typical? We are looking in the 24' range and the "sales price" is usually around $10,000 off the sticker price.For example, most of the ones we have been looking at are approximately $26k-$28k on sale for $16k-$18k. Since we haven't looked before we don't know if thats something they always do or is it just a really good time to buy. I don't want to rush into the purchase just to "get the good deal" but would also hate to be paying full price on one if we wait and miss the sale.

Also, a few other questions if you don't mind:

1. Are any of the brands known to be cheaply made and are any known to be higher quality?

2. What length and weight limit would you consider for a 2013 F150 FX4?

3. Thoughts on buying 1-2yr old versus new from dealer? Would like it to be very newish, but could do without all of the extra dealer fees and would appreciate any savings.

4. Any other buying tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
CW? Run away. Just run

Depends on the CW. So far, ours in Hendersonville, NC has done very well for us and our extended family.
That said, I still try to buy stuff for the camper from locally owned businesses.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CW? Run away. Just run
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for a TT that is head an shoulders above the rest, at the same price, there are none.

Like buying a Ford, Chevy, Ram or a host of others; each has its features and followers but in the end they all do what they are designed to do.

My advice is to rent a TT similar to what you want to buy for for a week or so. You will learn a lot before you spend the big bucks. Buy a used unit.

That is what we did.

Also, keep in mind that millions of folks use and are quite pleased with the so called "garbage" being built. The industry builds what the public will buy.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry double post
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re on Facebook and haven’t already, check out the FB page "RV Pricing and Values" before deciding and buying. Be sure and read the Pinned Post before asking questions! David may be able to help you save some $$$.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
For a first ever RV buy used. Start small and used. The cheaper the better.

This is BY FAR the best advice !

After a couple of trips start making a list of things you would want in your next TT, assuming you don't want to just chuck the whole idea !

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The simple answer to question #1...

All of them and no!
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“What length and weight limit would you consider for a 2013 F150 FX4?L

Gee, whiz. With a payload of? Max trailer weight of?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

somfas
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice everyone!! I will definitely plan to look at some dealers in other cities nearby. Also, I have been on RV Trader and have really been able to pick out some features I want in a TT. Used definitely seems like a decent option if I can find what I want close enough to us. Thanks again!!

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
That price is probably good only if you finance thru them.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
There are online web sites that will tell you MSRP and dealer invoice prices. CW is not known for selling RVs at significant discounts, sometimes locking you into an expensive financing deal or adding other initially hidden charges.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Also check closely on your finance terms if you will be taking out a loan. Decades ago a type of loan became popular with unscrupulous banks and lenders. It charges all the interest for a loan up front and causes a massive hit to anyone looking to close out a loan before it goes full term. They were made illegal for terms under 84 months to protect the public from being charged thousands in interest.
Some RV dealers are putting these programs back into play. They will hand you a loan package over the 84 month thresh hold and apply that method. A unit you may have thought you bought for $14k a year later could have a balance owed of nearly $20k. If they are pushing long loan terms, read carefully.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
The towing and payload capacity of a 2013 F150 FX4 will depended on how it is configured and equipped. I saw payload numbers from 1,570 lbs up to 2,810 lbs and maximum towing numbers from 7.500 lbs to 9,700 lbs depending on equipment and configuration. You need to KNOW what those numbers are before getting to far into looking for a trailer unless you're also considering getting a new tow vehicle.

If you are handy and willing to work on things electric, mechanical and plumbing then you might want to considered a used unit. A travel trailer is part house and part vehicle so if you're confident in your ability to inspect/find issues in these realms and willing to fix what you don't initially find then you can save a lot of money buying used.

If not, and you're going to buy new, then try to settle on a unit your tow vehicle can handle with a margin of comfort, check out dealers within a reasonable driving distance that have it and get as many reviews as you can about the dealer and their service as possible.

You're going to hear all kinds of stuff about the quality of this or that brand or model. Take those into consideration but in my opinion the dealer plays a huge role in the perception of quality, is an important link in the quality assurance process (catching issues before the customer every sees them) and will play a major role in whether or not you are satisfied with your purchase.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
All good advice. Get a grasp on what your truck can tow and not just what the max towing capacity is, that number is useless. Really think about how you you are going to use it. Shower vs tub, outdoor kitchen, access to bathroom when slides closed, storage, outside storage access. Ask around, RV folks are not short on opinions or what they like and dislike. Walk the campground and if you see something you like stop and ask. 15 minutes later you will have first hand experience on that model and any other topics that come up.

Look on the internet for the cheapest price and go in lower. CW will up-sell a bunch of stuff, you dont need any of it.
If you get a good deal on the front end selling a 5 years down the road is not gonna kill you.