cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7-Gallon Water Jug With Pump - REVISITED

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I read Brad's old post about a 12v pump for 7-gal jugs. Nice info.

7-Gallon Water Jug With Pump

I can't find the same or a similar bilge pump he mentions (Attwood A500, model 4240) anywhere.

Any suggestions on a similar pump with 3/4" pipe thread fittings to fit a 7-gal Aqua-Tainer jug?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
24 REPLIES 24

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom_Anderson wrote:
I use a siphon hose. I set the jug on my kitchen counter, then run the siphon hose out the window to the fresh water fill outside. Much easier, in my opinion.

That's a very good idea -- minimum hassle. It won't work for me, though, because I can't lift heavy loads anymore. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I use a siphon hose. I set the jug on my kitchen counter, then run the siphon hose out the window to the fresh water fill outside. Much easier, in my opinion.

Bedlam
I use a 12VDC transfer pump to keep my TC filled, but I have two 42 gallon fresh tanks in my enclosed trailer to tap from. I also use the pump directly to a hose to wash off road toys before stowing them back inside.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the link, that's not a bilge pump, it's an aerator pump for filling livewells for keeping fish alive. The difference being a bilge pump operates while submerged in water. A aerator pump has a threaded pipe for an intake. In the link picture, the threaded pipe goes through the cap. You can find aerator pumps at Walmart, Cabelas, BassPro or any marine store.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all.

The light bulb went on and I rediscovered a Flojet 12v pump in my "resource pile" that I'd purchased long ago for spraying calcium chloride solution on the gravel road for dust control. Never did that and the pump is unused.

I'll be using that pump for moving water from the 7-gallon jugs to the TC water tank.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Dewclaw
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Harbor Freight 12V water pump that has standard hose bib threads on the input and output. The input has a plastic elbow that is fastened to a length of plastic pipe long enough to reach the bottom of my 7 gallon water jugs. The output connects to my 25 foot water hose. 12V for the pump is via a 7 pole plug that plugs into the camper pigtail in the pickup and a push-on/push-off switch is mounted on the pump.

So, when we are in hunting camp and need water we put the 7 gallon jugs in the back of the truck, go to town and fill the jugs in place in the truck. When we get back to camp I pump the water directly from the jugs in the pickup bed to the camper. No lifting required.
2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
IMO the lower GPM rate, the better. Too much flow just splashes everywhere and wastes water. This summer I washed dishes and hands using a collapsible 5 gallon water container. The spigot is so small, the water dribbles out pretty slowly. I was surprised to find that I only needed about half the container (2.5 gallons for 2 weeks of camping. (Drinking water was in the cooler, btw.) When using the 12V pump on my previous trailer, I'd blow through 10 gallons in 3 days.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Though most any pump will function - Atwood A500 no longer made-try T500 or modle 4640-7.
500 or 800 GPH available with 3/4" (I believe-verify size, on the 1200GPH is larger)

edit: correct gpm to gph
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Looks awesome ! Good job !
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
yes, I did that too. works great when boondocking. I put an on/off switch in line and ran the wires to the TT battery. it sure beats trying to lift all that water and trying to pour it into a funnel. the bilge pumps just work so well for this job