cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A bad day camping - accident on 91 S in VT

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
I was driving on Route 91S today in VT, near Exit 7 (near Charlestown, NH) and came up on the aftermath of a very recent accident. A newish Suburban or similar vehicle towing a travel trailer had hit the guard rail and the travel trailer had separated from the frame on impact. The truck was stuffed into the right hand guard rail, the trailer frame still attached and across the right hand lane on it's wheels, but the entire trailer was sitting on upright about 30 feet further down the road. The amazing thing was that it sheared off the frame completely intact and the frame was absolutely bare. I don't know if anyone was hurt or killed. The accident was on a steep downhill grade just after a hill. As you came over the hill, it was raining rather heavily on the other side (scattered heavy showers). I am guessing the driver was speeding and then found himself heading downhill in a sudden downpour, which somehow caused him to lose control. I think that people who tow trailers often get complacent about the amount of weight they are actually dragging around and what it can do if they don't exercise proper care. I did not see a blow out on any of the tires (which were very exposed), but I could not take the time to notice if they had a WDH or anything like that - so I am only speculating on the possible causes of the accident. Someone else with yellow lights on their truck had stopped to help, and I hit my flashers, slowed down, and slowly went around, but could not take my own eyes off the road to rubberneck. If this is anyone here on the board, I hope that no one was injured!
8 REPLIES 8

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they may have been speeding. But based on the weather conditions, there is also the possibility that the driver suddenly came upon traffic that slowed or stopped abruptly ahead of him/her.

I've experienced that situation when it starts raining and people randomly and irrationally slam on their brakes right in front of you. Years ago I was traveling 70 MPH in the left lane of the interstate when out of nowhere the lane just came to a complete stop. I did not have enough room to stop in time so I veered off into the grass median and went for a wild ride until I could come to a stop. That experience scared the **** out of me.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

cameronpatentla
Explorer
Explorer
msgtord wrote:
"I am guessing the driver was speeding and then found himself heading downhill in a sudden downpour, which somehow caused him to lose control."

Why voice an opinion on what you "think" happened, when you didn't even stop to inquire if anyone needed aid?

Perhaps your post did not turn out the way you meant or you are having a bad day, but your response to the OP came across as a little snarky. Don't get me wrong-sometimes snark needs to be responded to with snark, but I think the OP was being genuinely helpful and did provide information that could save one of our RV'ers life. I'm new, but generally members of our RV community treat others the way they want to be treated. Cheers, Mike

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another one:

http://etv10news.com/vehicle-hauling-a-trailer-on-highway-10-rolls-over/

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
did not stop since there was already others stopped to render aid, direct traffic, etc. - and it was not an easy place to stop and pull over.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I saw something similar many years ago. The TT starting swaying back and forth wildly and finally came completely off the frame like you describe. It was an amazing sight watching it peel off the frame.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
"I am guessing the driver was speeding and then found himself heading downhill in a sudden downpour, which somehow caused him to lose control."

Why voice an opinion on what you "think" happened, when you didn't even stop to inquire if anyone needed aid?
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
In this case, conditions on the other side of the hill were much worse than on the this side of the hill...sunny to downpour in literally a few seconds at highway speeds. I have to think that was a factor.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Very sad. I agree with you in that any guess as to the cause is purely speculation but that people can become complacent towing a trailer. You see this in many posts from the recent video of the truck pulling a trailer passing a semi at a high rate of speed to others bragging they cZn tow a trailer at 80 mph and not even know it is there to others condoning going over the weight rating for their TV or hitch.