cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A different video of a tire failure problem

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a video of a tire failure that I have not seen before. I have nothing else to do right now so I thought that I would post it on here to see if anyone wanted to comment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJ6dQsEqj0
24 REPLIES 24

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
When it comes to a lack of information and lack of knowledge, the boat industry just about puts the RV industry to shame. There's a whole bunch of credit card captains out there. Just ask the Coast Guard lol.

Roger Marble (Tireman9) is a good guy, very helpful, knowledgeable, and an expert in the industry. The people who run this site felt that he violated some self promotion / commercial rules when it came to his blog. Lots of people still disagree with this. He was banned and his posts deleted. That's a shame because he was really making a good effort to get expert info out to the people. He still out there fighting the good fight on his blog and he keeps it update regularly with all kinds of tire related topics. Very good info.

I agree that Roger Marble is a jewel among our activities when it comes to sharing information regarding tires.
Another that has helped me come to a better understanding is Barry Smith. If you do a search for Barry's Tire Tech, you can find his blog.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
When it comes to a lack of information and lack of knowledge, the boat industry just about puts the RV industry to shame. There's a whole bunch of credit card captains out there. Just ask the Coast Guard lol.

Roger Marble (Tireman9) is a good guy, very helpful, knowledgeable, and an expert in the industry. The people who run this site felt that he violated some self promotion / commercial rules when it came to his blog. Lots of people still disagree with this. He was banned and his posts deleted. That's a shame because he was really making a good effort to get expert info out to the people. He still out there fighting the good fight on his blog and he keeps it update regularly with all kinds of tire related topics. Very good info.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The TT industry is like no other. What is sad is that when you buy a TT, NOBODY tells you that there is a speed rating on the tires and that there are other things you need to be aware of with ST tires (overload & under-inflation). A dealer never says anything, factory says nothing and there's no sticker above the tires. Isn't until someone has a blowout that they *might* find out if they go onto an RV forum - where it's often simply the cheap Chinese tires that are blamed...

We got the optional LRD Goodyear tires offered by our TT manufacturer when we ordered it. For fun, I asked the sales guy at the dealer why anyone would order those and his answer was "I dunno". Not surprised.

There are some tire experts out there that try and make the world a safer and better place for RV owners like Roger and his RV tire safety blog. Unfortunately, he got banned from the forum (no problem on other forums tho.)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Well all I can say is time has past us old fuddy duddies by.

True, but remember what tires were when we started driving? They were bias ply tires made from natural rubber, most likely, and, if you were as broke as I was when young, they sometimes looked like baloney skins. Also, there was a lot less Interstate or well improved road.

It all added up to needing the skill of changing a tire and no one thought it was a bad thing. If anyone was caught with a flat and no means to change it, they were roundly scolded and labeled as an idiot.

Today, people can't be inconvenienced with such things. An example: A friend of mine bought property in FL, mainly to dodge taxes. He moved his Wife and kids down there so there would be no question about residency. He stayed in MN during the week to operate his business. He got a call, one week, from his Missus who was stuck on the freeway with her new Jaguar, stalled. He explained to her that there was little he could do from 1500 mi. away and to call AAA. The tow driver eventually arrived and found she had run the car out of gas. It never occurred to her that she would have to add gas into the car. :? :R
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
A few things I noticed.
Overloaded F150
No grease on the ball
6 lug axles very possibly "D" rated tires which are borderline on that size trailer.
And way too much fun!

Quite likely. My old TT came originally with C load range tires. At 50PSI the sidewalls always looked squishy. I think those were rated for something like 1700lbs per tire for a total of 6800. But wait, the TT had a GVWR of 7,600lbs :E Yep, they were planning on the 800 pound difference being on the tongue.

My wheels were rated for 65PSI so I went up to load range D tires that were rated at 2500lbs per tire. Never had another squishy side wall after that.

Oh, and not having all tools necessary to change a flat is just bad planning.

KJ
I DO think that a TT should come with basic tire changing tools, just like automobiles do. I was surprised to find that my first new TT did not have this as basic equipment.... The spare was an option that I paid for, one would think that it would come with a rudimentry way to put it on.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Robert_B
Explorer
Explorer
Video reminds me of the movie "Vacation".

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
A few things I noticed.
Overloaded F150
No grease on the ball
6 lug axles very possibly "D" rated tires which are borderline on that size trailer.
And way too much fun!

Quite likely. My old TT came originally with C load range tires. At 50PSI the sidewalls always looked squishy. I think those were rated for something like 1700lbs per tire for a total of 6800. But wait, the TT had a GVWR of 7,600lbs :E Yep, they were planning on the 800 pound difference being on the tongue.

My wheels were rated for 65PSI so I went up to load range D tires that were rated at 2500lbs per tire. Never had another squishy side wall after that.

Oh, and not having all tools necessary to change a flat is just bad planning.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Well all I can say is time has past us old fuddy duddies by.

Some new cars do not come with a spare tire and if you order one there is only room for a donut. It appears folks do not get enough flat tires to worry about it and when they do they call road service or use the fix-a-flat that comes with the car.

I have had three flats while towing, two on the TV and one on the TT. They were all road hazard punctures and fortunately I was at the campsite when I changed them. Never lost a tire.

I change them myself, because I don't have the patience to wait for road service and it takes about twenty minutes. Others it seems are fine with letting others do it instead.

But then I still use maps to back up my GPS because I may want to take an alternate route. The GPS figures it out eventually.

It is a mind set, I will do what I can when I can. Others find it far easier to let the pros do it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Soundtrack on the video - Broke for Free, The Gold Lining.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I kick myself for not hitting the road and traveling when I had the opportunity between 2012 and 2014 when I wasn't working, but had other sources of income.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Here is a video of a tire failure that I have not seen before. I have nothing else to do right now so I thought that I would post it on here to see if anyone wanted to comment on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQJ6dQsEqj0
looks very familiar.
With five various size trailers on the road and 26 tires on the ground on those trailers the pic looks like most blow outs, from impact damage or partial tread separation, and ran awhile till the tread begins coming off.....usually around the hole.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
We now live in a society where that approach is typical.

An example is, people that can only navigate to a destination if they have GPS to guide them. Many can't read a paper map. Most have no idea what a topo map is showing them.

While it is drifting away from the subject of tire failure, I certainly can agree with you about the maps (charts if you are an aviator or sailor). I obtained my private pilot license in 1978 and had to learn aeronautical charts (mostly sectionals, and also WAC charts) and have no difficulty with a printed map. Possibly this is why I am seeing such large stacks of printed state maps at welcome stations. Its not that the state budget increased for printing maps, its that fewer and fewer people take them, because they just don't know what they are.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
What was he expecting the dealer to do for him? Sure, they'll talk to you. But when you have a flat on the side of the road and inadequate tools, you call Roadside Assistance and pay what ever the cost happens to be.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
So who is the dummy here, the guy with the tools doing the work, or the guy standing back playing with cameras?

I saw the same thing a few years ago. At a turnpike wayside, a truck with a huge travel trailer parked right beside me. Turned out that he was in the same organization as me going to our Campout. He went into the diner and I walked around his new trailer and found a China Bomb had detonated. He was in disbelief when I told him. He needed my jack and wrench to change it. No, the low information RV folks will get no free labor from me unless they are disabled.