cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abt ball hitch towing

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
I was stinking abt doing a 5th wheel with a 2014 2500 Ram truck.

However, I don't want to give up my bed use with a canopy on it. Hence, that throws me to towing via the trailer hitch.

I don't need a super long super huge TT. Just say 30' or so.

Is this possible and which light weight TT would you guys and gals recommend?

Tanks

Rick
11 REPLIES 11

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother with the 1500 Ram. They are weak on payload for either TT or 5er.

A travel trailer can tow very well with a quality weight distributing hitch. With a late model 3/4 ton you can safely/comfortably tow nearly any non-park model TT. If you get a gas powered say 6.4L, get the numerically higher axle ratio, 4.10 I believe is what Ram offers. If you get the diesel, get the 1-ton single rear wheel and any axle ratio will do.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
yes its a diesel, the TT is a starcraft launch 24rls which has a dry weight of 4800 pounds, but is still a huge box when it comes to fighting the wind
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
stinking?

Yeah,....a little levity goes along way 😉

RR

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Camp & TX - Yep I'm on board with the diesel.

Tanks

RR

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:
we have a 2014 ram 2500 srw and tow a light weight 29 foot TT with no problems at all. Barely know the TT is there. Uphill, down hill, the cruise control stay pegged at 65 mph doing an average of 14 mpg

HR - I assume your talking diesel engine. I've never had one but now that the sound and smells and improvements are solved/added, I'm gonna get a diesel.

What TT do you tow via the ball hitch. I know nothing abt them except I want them one that is self contained with the largest LP tank ever created? Ha

RR

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
stinking?
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
If money is not an issue then defiantly go with a Diesel you will never regret it.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't purchased yet, I really like the diesel for towing. If you only tow ocassionally and not real far a good gasser may work better overall. I know there are several gas engines that do an admirable job towing, but I really like the effortless performance of the diesel.

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2014 ram 2500 srw and tow a light weight 29 foot TT with no problems at all. Barely know the TT is there. Uphill, down hill, the cruise control stay pegged at 65 mph doing an average of 14 mpg
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Sabluka
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
I presume you are talking about the receiver hitch and not the bumper. With that truck and a weight distribution hitch with some sort of sway control 30' is definitely doable. What engine do you have?

Camp - I havent bght the truck yet but $ is no issue. I was stinking abt a 3500 then after research I see the 2500 or even a 1500 with HD tow package and a diesel might handle it.

I had a 1988 GMC 3500 Crew 4x4 with the 454 in AK and loved it. I made a mistake and sold it when I left Ak in 2013. Thinkin abt buying it back.

I have been traveling since Oct 2013 in a 30' Minnie Winnie and thinkin my stays wld be so much more enjoyable in a TT or 5er. Just more room for me and the pups.

Oh, I tow a 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited Trail rated with Quadra Trac II that will tow 7.2k lbs itself. I cld use it but when I get back to bldg I cld use a truck.

IOW, I cld sell the MW and tow with the Jeep till I lite. Then buy whatever truck I want....or, buy the truck now and sell the MW and Jeep.

Just mulling it all over and wanting input from the sages here.

Rick

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I presume you are talking about the receiver hitch and not the bumper. With that truck and a weight distribution hitch with some sort of sway control 30' is definitely doable. What engine do you have?