cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Ducting and Vents Flagstaff 25KS

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded in our Kodiak 200QB for the Flagstaff 25KS and over all we are pretty happy with the new camper.

On the AC unit and Ducting it is real obvious that there is a duct in the foam roof insulation with two tracks that run from the front to the back.

What I don't understand is in the nice large bathroom the 25KS has they did not install any AC registers???

I took the fantastic Fan inside cover molding out and you can feel cold AC Air (When AC is on) coming from the sides. So I know that there is ducting in there.

So I bought two of these: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GOPT0G/

And I plan on cutting a hole in the ceiling and installing AC registers in the bathroom.

When I went back to the dealer I noticed that all the Flagstaff Micro Lites were like this no AC registers in the bathrooms?

Is there a reason that these Flagstaff were built like this and has anyone else noticed this?
8 REPLIES 8

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this also in the Forest River Forums and got this reply...

I agree, I saw the same scenario last week when I took mine apart. Both AC chase pre formed in styrofoam run all the way back to the bathroom. You can really add one each side. It's cool air going nowhere. Thanks for the post. I now may do the same. By the way, I took mine apart, because I heard a mouse "traveling" up there in the chase. He gained access above the black tank there is about 1/2" space between the top of tank, and the bottom of exterior floor. He then traveled up the vent pipe chase verticle between the bathroom wall and bnk wall. The vent pipe fortunate for him passed thru the AC chase before going thru the roof. So this is how he gained access. All fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
kendive wrote:

I took the fantastic Fan inside cover molding out and you can feel cold AC Air (When AC is on) coming from the sides. So I know that there is ducting in there.

If you took the fan trim ring out and you feel cold air anywhere other than coming out of a ceiling register, then the AC plenum and/or registers, like 90% of the other trailers on the road, wasn't taped correctly at the factory. Go to Home Depot, get a roll of foil duct tape and seal up those leaks or you will forever be posting on here asking why your air conditioner won't cool your trailer. That cold air isn't doing you any good in the ceiling.

"If you took the fan trim ring out and you feel cold air anywhere other than coming out of a ceiling register"

Like I said there is no AC registers back there so the air that I think is being ducted back there has no where else to go but out the sides of the of that area and I can feel it when that fantastic fan trim is off.

No problems cooling the new camper. I have had the AC running at the house while doing some mods to the Flagstaff 25KS and it cools great in the Florida heat.

I installed my Franks Electronics autoformer and mounted in the camper and setup the bypass already...

I guess I could get my hands on a thermal ir camera and it will really tell me where there is cold air up there and where it stops. I have experience with them also for my job.

And yes I can leave the bathroom door open and open the back main vent on the AC Unit and direct air back to the bathroom, but I feel I should not need to do that.

I may call forest river and ask also. I would not think they would come up with a good answer. I feel that it was to save money.

On the slide I found a missing track seal that runs up and down on the camper side of the slide system inside the camper. I have a good dealer and I told them and they just cut me some and I told them I would put it on myself. It was a pain to reach in there and get it on the track and feel better that it is there.

To me the flagstaff quality is lower that the Kodiak 200QB and Aerolite 30BHSL campers we have owned in the past, but we really liked this floor plan of the 25KS. We also lost some storage space because of the Murphy Bed but to me it was worth it. So far we are happy and I did not have to write a check for too much on the difference with the trade got a very good deal. The Kodiak 200QB was a 2011 and we bought the 2014 Flagstaff new off the lot.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
kendive wrote:

If you took the fan trim ring out and you feel cold air anywhere other than coming out of a ceiling register, then the AC plenum and/or registers, like 90% of the other trailers on the road, wasn't taped correctly at the factory. Go to Home Depot, get a roll of foil duct tape and seal up those leaks or you will forever be posting on here asking why your air conditioner won't cool your trailer. That cold air isn't doing you any good in the ceiling.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB makes a good point. Unless one knows for sure that there is a foam-duct outlet in the bathroom ceiling and where it is, cutting a hole in said ceiling might be ill-advised.

My Flagstaff also has no bathroom duct but there is a gap above the hallway door that the FF can pull cool air through. But for be that is not good enough to cool the bathroom, especially given the fact that there is a nice skylight over the shower letting the Texas sun blast through and warm up the bathroom. So what I do is leave the sliding door between the bedroom and bathroom open, and direct one of the bedroom ducts into the bathroom - works great.

BTW - maybe one of the reasons Flagstaff might have not put a duct there is that people somehow like their bathrooms warmer than the rest of the room - maybe because they have their clothes off more in bathrooms than anywhere else. 😉
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure that FLAGSTAFF has designed their air conditioner ducts to provide a positive specified air flow pressure so that all vents operate proper to give somewhat equal air flow when being used.

When running RG CABLEs inside of my air conditioner ceilings foam ducts I mentioned in the above post I don't recall seeing a passage way that extended off the main ducts going into the bathroom in my Flagstaff model trailer. My central home entertainment center is located on the front wall of the bathroom wall where cabinets are installed. I had to bust thru the foam in the ceiling in that area to route RG cables and such. When finished I re-sealed the passage way I created with expanding foam insulation spray to keep from distributing any air flow specifications that may have been originally planned.

You might want to check with the manufacturer about creating a new off-shoot of their air conditioner duct lines with all of this in mind..

May not be an issue but something you may want to consider before adding an additional off-shoot to the present air flow specifications.

One wonders why it wasn't done in their original design... I didn't add up the YAHs and NAYs but sounds like the FLAGSTAFF line and ROCKWOOD line of trailers (same company models) don't have A/C vents in their bathrooms. My FLAGSTAFF 8528RESS is a 2005 year model...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the Rockwood bathroom....was the same in our ROO HTT. We have the FF in there and turn it on to pull moisture out, which also pulls cool air in through the areas above and below the door. Modesty is not a big issue with just the 2 of us and if we want more cool air, just open the door. Also have A/C vents just outside the bathroom in the living area and also the bedroom.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

kendive
Explorer
Explorer
Yea on the Kodiak the bathroom was very small and still had a AC Vent in there.

The Flagstaff 25KS has a very large bathroom and there is not one AC Vent in there. Our door going to the bathroom also has very large gaps on the top and bottom, but still not good enough.

I will be installing the AC Vents myself and I will post pics.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the flagstaff as well. Have never noticed it didn't have AC vent in the bathroom... Mine does have the exhaust fan arrangement which comes on when you turn the light on before entering.

My bathroom door has a good one-inch opening at the top of the door as well...

I have run all kinds of RG and VIDEO cabling from one end of the trailer to the other using the a/c foam ducts. Easy install by just pulling down the installed ceiling a/c ducts and fishing the cables along the inside from vent to vent.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS