cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC Issues

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Getting the TT ready for a trip for the past week, and today, the AC started acting funny. I've got a 30 amp connection and it has been operating normally since I uncovered it last weekend.

I set it to 74 and it seems to start out very cold, but then after awhile, the air gets warmer. If I turn the thermostat up to 80, it doesn't shut off. It doesn't seem to be producing as much condensation runoff either. I got on top to be sure there wasn't a clogged tray - mine doesn't seem to have one unless it is underneath the cover.

It is a Dometic with the stock thermostat. Any suggestions to troubleshoot would be much appreciated.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
12 REPLIES 12

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Thanks for the update, at least is was an easy fix. But then again if you had an icing problem the first thing we would have told you is to set the fan on high and leave it there. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's almost like you just can't win with these things.
๐Ÿ™‚
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
So what is the temp inside? Outside? Do you have the fan set to "AUTO" or "ON"?

I don't think dirty coils will cause it to not shut off.

Sounds to me that the A/C compressor is shutting down (cool air) and then fan continues to run (warm air) which could be due to FAN setting NOT in AUTO
You guys were right. I went out this morning, and sure enough, the fan was set to HI. It has settings of LOW and AU as well. Not sure how it got set to HI, but I'm betting that some little hands were involved...

Thanks again.

Thanks for letting us know you found the problem

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:

Sounds to me that the A/C compressor is shutting down (cool air) and then fan continues to run (warm air) which could be due to FAN setting NOT in AUTO
You guys were right. I went out this morning, and sure enough, the fan was set to HI. It has settings of LOW and AU as well. Not sure how it got set to HI, but I'm betting that some little hands were involved...

Thanks again.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check and make sure the fan under the roof top cover is working. The clamp that holds the fan on mine broke and it would start to cool, then the compressor would shut off but the circulation fan would continue to run.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
hohenwald48 wrote:

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would start by removing the outside cover and cleaning the condenser coil. Remove the inside cover and clean the evaporator coil as best as you can. Don't bend over any of the tin fins.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After running it for awhile, I checked the coils from the inside. They were not frozen. I set the temp back up to 80 and it wouldn't shut off

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Sounds like it might be freezing up. Remove the grill on the inside and look at the coils and see if they are a block of ice.

Low run off could simply be low outside humidity.

Evaporator freeze up X 2 All the classic symptoms.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never had the cover off the AC unit - I was talking about my ADCO cover. I'll go and see if I can see the coils from inside now.

Edit: The coils looked fine. They were not wet, so I turned it back on and shut the dump valve to make it go through the ducts.

It really isn't that humid today.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it might be freezing up. Remove the grill on the inside and look at the coils and see if they are a block of ice.

Low run off could simply be low outside humidity.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
When is the last time you had the cover off?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton