cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding factory accessories

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
For towing purposes I was so excited when backup cameras became available on trucks, as well as built-in brake controllers. But it's frustrating as most trucks I see on the lots are missing one or the other, or the towing mirrors. A couple questions/comments:

I've confirmed that you can add manual towing mirrors to the new F150 but not the power ones. Lame on Ford's part, especially since only a very small percentage are equipped with them from the factory.

How about the Ram? Last I checked you could but that was a long time ago.

Lame also on Ford's part that the backup camera is not even available as an option on the Superduty XL, and not standard on the XLT. Can you add the factory one? It's part of the logo piece in the middle of the tailgate, so probably not.

Can you add factory brake controllers to most trucks? I'm pretty sure you can on the Rams; what about the Fords?
Craig
33 REPLIES 33

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
TexasRangerRzR wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Order and wait. For the price you are going to pay for a new truck...get EXACTLY what you want.

Our last 3 vehicles (car and 2 trucks) we ordered. While not on the lot and while we couldn't have it right away, we got vehicles equipped exactly how we wanted them.
....and ordering was no more expensive after we did our negotiating than it was if we took whatever leftover they had on the lot.

Agreed 🙂

Exactly.....
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check the amperage at each brake on the trailer you are having the problem with. If it was the trucks brake controller it would be the same on every trailer.

How to check your trailer brakes

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I have the tailgate camera. I wanted to add the cargo camera.

The brake issue must be only some of the 16s, because mine will lock the brakes on my toy hauler on heavy electric. I have to use light electric with my horse trailer.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read on the numerous RAM sites, adding a brake controller is very easy as the connector is under the dash. As a matter of fact there is a known issue with some of the '16's that the IBC is not sending enough voltage to the trailer to effectively engage the trailer brakes. No fix yet so some have resorted to adding their own aftermarket controller.
As far as the tailgate camera, one can buy the OE camera and harness for around $300. There is a good YouTube video showing how to connect it all up. But you'll need a dealer visit to have the camera activated. I think I read also on the third brake light camera that you need to add an additional harnes for the camera.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Found the post. This is an archive.org link, as the person who created the original has deleted the pictures.

DIY: 2013 Ram add OEM Backup Camera
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
That tailgate camera makes life soooo much easier.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
For the RAM, the connector is there but the video cable is missing from the harness. Search the Google, some enterprising person documented their struggle to add an OEM tailgate camera, it wasn't easy. This was on a ram truck forum. Maybe Ford does it differently.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I can find out if the pigtail is included with the tailgate harness for you if you want. My gut thinks yes but you never know anymore. What you can do is remove the third brake light and see if there is an extra pigtail on the harness. Would make since to include it from a cost stand point, less harnesses to stock and less chance to miss build a truck.

Don

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
So if I had the backup camera already with UConnect 8.4a and wanted to add the cargo camera, would that one be plug and play as well? Is the harness there?
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Yep just order what you want than you will have the truck of your dreams.

As a side note all Rams (and the others) have a mirror module that must be changed out when swapping out mirrors. If say you have a 1500 Ram with the power folding non tow mirrors you can upgrade to the HD power fold tow mirrors by just buying the mirrors. The truck already has the folding mirror sales code and module in it. This would be the same for any HD with non tow power folding mirrors.

I ordered my 1500 truck with the tow mirrors (non power folding on 1500) so in order for me to get the HD power fold tow mirrors I would have to buy both the mirrors and module than have the dealer add the power fold mirror sales code to my truck. The wiring is all there just needs the sales code.

Most dealers will tell you it can't be done do to the cost involved in replacing the parts and programming the truck. I just had the DTRL turned on, on my truck. It took the dealer calling in the service Engineer to get it done because the sales code was not showing up under my trucks vin. Took them 3 hours to get the DTRL on! The cost to me was zero do to the fact the dealer likes me, however if it wasn't for that I would have been charged three hours of shop time @ $95 per hour!

Don

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I didn't realize the dealer had to enable things nowadays, but it doesn't surprise me. I think I'll keep looking for a truck that has what I want, or order one.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
dinwiddi wrote:
I learned long ago, when you order a vehicle it is more personal and when you begin to complain dear wife reminds one "remember you got exactly what you wanted" and that tends to end the discussion.

🙂
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
Order the truck the way you want it. That's what I did with my current truck and probably will with the next one. I don't want a bunch of luxury fluff in my truck, just useful things.

Are you still able to apply all incentives to a custom ordered truck? The $8000+ worth of incentives right now on the Ram 2500 are all "must take delivery from existing dealer stock." Is there a way around that?

This is the big issue. I would love to order a truck, but I think you will be subject to whatever incentives are in effect at the time you take delivery. They may get better as the year goes on but who knows. And some dealers will give you a better price on one on their lot.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
My mirrors fold automatically when I'm not careful pulling into my garage. Otherwise they're manual. :B

As far as I know you can add factory brake controllers to any truck. Just as an FYI you can also add a factory backup camera to a Ram and have a dealer enable it and it'll work like it came from the factory that way. I've considered adding one to my truck but it's less important with a fifth wheel since I can see what I'm doing by looking over my shoulder, so I don't know if I'll do it or not. I suppose with kids I should do it just from a safety standpoint.

Yeah, my mirrors folded automatically once. 🙂
Craig