Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eaz-Lift Weight Distribution Set Up

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone-

I bought a Eaz-Lift weight distribution hitch last fall when we purchased our 2015 Jayco 28DSBH. When I bought the camper, the dealer set the hitch up to my tow vehicle. Since then I have traded trucks and used a YouTube video as a guide to set my new truck up. I have since taken a couple of trips, the trailer doesn't sway or bounce all that much. When on level ground, the front level indicator on the coach shows the trailer nearly level. Now, here is my question:

When I hook up my chains, I go down three links. There is some tension on the chains but nothing like what it was with my old truck. I try to go to the fourth link which I can easily hook the link to the bracket however, the tension of the chain as I lift up on the bracket arm causes the chain to slip off. This causes me to back to the third link on the chain.

I do use the electric jack to raise the front of the coach but it only gives me so much. When I look at the rig from a distance, it seems fairly level and level indicator confirms that. If I don't have alot of tension on the chains when I raise the bars, does this mean I am not correctly set up?

Were taking off in three weeks for a 2500 mile trip and I want to make sure I have everything hooked up correctly.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
10 REPLIES 10

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Great info everyone. I will double check it with the instructions you all mention. Many thanks!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:
Eaz-Lift weight distribution hitch..... I have traded trucks ....When on level ground, the front level indicator on the coach shows the trailer nearly level.

When I hook up my chains, I go down three links. There is some tension on the chains but nothing like what it was with my old truck. I try to go to the fourth link which I can easily hook the link to the bracket however, the tension of the chain as I lift up on the bracket arm causes the chain to slip off. This causes me to back to the third link on the chain.

First, don't trust the level indicator. When setting up a WD hitch you need too measure the trailer frame to the ground and ensure the frame is parallel. Getting the trailer 'level' can mislead you. Making the trailer 'level' does nothing for spring bar chain tension, it is only to get the hitch head height set properly so the trailer is not nose up or down while towing.

Setting up any hitch takes these steps:
1) Measure trailer frame to the ground and adjust jack until the frame is parallel to the ground.
2) Measure from the ground to the top of the hitch coupler.
3) Insert hitch into truck receiver. Measure from the top of the hitch ball to the ground. You're good if the height matches the trailer coupler height within 1/2" inch or so. If not you'll need to move the head tip or down on the shank. The bolt hole spacing on the shank is in 1 1/4" increments.
4) As mentioned, measure the front wheel wells of the truck without the trailer connected.
5) Connect the trailer without WD bars. Use enough links until the WD bars are parallel to the trailer frame. and measure the wheel wells again.
6) If the wheel wells return to unloaded height you're all set. If the wheel wells are higher, you need to adjust the hitch head. You'll need to dismantle the hitch and put more washers between the button bolt and the head to give it more initial tilt. Hook up to the trailer again and re-measure the wheel wells. Repeat until you have it all set.

Tilting the hitch head back will cause the ends of the spring bars to point further down. When you snatch up the chains using the same number of links to make the bars parallel it causes more force to transfer through the truck frame and put more pressure on the front wheels. This is when you know you're getting good distribution.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
If that's the case, something isn't set up right. Or there's WAY too much tongue weight. LOL
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
"I felt like I went up pretty high with it last time I tried hooking it up. I can try to raise it higher if that is what it takes."

hohenwald48 wrote:
bgradert wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I'm confused why it would come off if it is indeed hooked? FYI, I use the trailer jack to raise mine high enough to remove all tension when hooking up which may eliminate this issue for you as well.

There are two grooves in the "hook" that your chain attaches too. Once I apply pressure to the chain, the chain wants to slip off the "hook".

You need to raise it higher using the tongue jack.

I've heard of folks who claim they have to raise it so much the rear wheels of the TV come off the ground.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
If the third link is needed to get the front of the truck back down to where it's needed, then jack it up. I used to carry a black just for that reason. Less jacking.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

TNrob
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to eazlift website you can download very good instructions. It involves getting your trailer level, measure the tongue height, set you ball height equal or up to 3/4" higher than tongue, MEASURE FRONT AND REAR BUMPER HEIGHT, connect truck to trailer, raise hitch about 3" above level, grab all of the chain you can get, lower hitch.

Now measure you rear and front bumper again. You should be no more than about 1/2" lower in rear, and no more than 1/2" higher in front (if memory serves). My truck squatted 1/4" in the rear and +/- zero in the front.

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
I felt like I went up pretty high with it last time I tried hooking it up. I can try to raise it higher if that is what it takes.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
bgradert wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I'm confused why it would come off if it is indeed hooked? FYI, I use the trailer jack to raise mine high enough to remove all tension when hooking up which may eliminate this issue for you as well.

There are two grooves in the "hook" that your chain attaches too. Once I apply pressure to the chain, the chain wants to slip off the "hook".

You need to raise it higher using the tongue jack.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)