cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot water bypass shutoff value

Deano_1
Explorer
Explorer
I broke the stem off the valve and need to replace it. Anyone seen a fitting like this one? Other than cutting the line, I don't know how to remove this. There doesn't look like the fitting be can be removed without cutting it out. I have a new plastic fitting but I want to save as much of the line as possible.

Thanks,

Deano
8 REPLIES 8

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
PEX type tube and compression ring. Easy way is to get SHARK BITE or equivalent fittings and go from to CPVC or even copper. Make sure the Sark Bite fittings are FOR PEX! The ones for pex have a piece that fits inside the PEX tubing to keep it from compressing inside the shark bite fitting. Lowes carries the correct one and I bet Home depot will as well.

If you decide to go with PEX again you will have to buy a PEX installation tool and a PEX ring removal tool to be sure you remove the old ring without damaging the tubing. The 2 tools are going to set you back around $75.00 at Lowes.

My local plumbing, heating, electric shop allowed me to "borrow" their crimping tool for my similar repair. Actually - what they did was they had me buy the crimping tool, keeping it unopened, they let me take "their" tool, and then they refunded my purchase when I brought "their" tool back. Nice!

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Easy fix, cut off old clamps, very carefully with Dreml, new clamps with Valve, just got through replacing on on mine a few weeks ago. I have a pex cutter, extra tubing, clamps and crimper now in my stuff.
Mark

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
And it might look tempting to try and use a standard hose clamp, speaking from experience, you will not get it to seal, it will leak. Either sharkbite or pex clamps (crimping tool needed) will seal the tube.
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
PEX type tube and compression ring. Easy way is to get SHARK BITE or equivalent fittings and go from to CPVC or even copper. Make sure the Sark Bite fittings are FOR PEX! The ones for pex have a piece that fits inside the PEX tubing to keep it from compressing inside the shark bite fitting. Lowes carries the correct one and I bet Home depot will as well.

If you decide to go with PEX again you will have to buy a PEX installation tool and a PEX ring removal tool to be sure you remove the old ring without damaging the tubing. The 2 tools are going to set you back around $75.00 at Lowes.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes those are 'crimped' fittings....common method for installations (Apollo Steel crimps)

Sometimes you can get them to loosen enough to slide down PEX Tubing by 'squeezing' the crimped portion (plier jaws on top and bottom of that section that is compressed)

OR cut them off

Using a Dremel Tool with cut off wheel cut diagonally across crimp being careful not to cut thru crimp-----just score it (or a fine tooth hack saw etc)

Then twist off using pliers.

OR

Buy a 1/2" Sharkbite Shut Off Valve (Home Depot) ----Gatorbite/Lowes
and cut PEX into right at end of old valve

Snap new Sharkbite Valve in place----done

I just cut PEX and then redo cause outside of PEX usually get scored/gouged from messing with the crimp
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
No cutting required, the strap clamp pops off with a screwdriver