cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adhesive for steel solar brackets to aluminum roofs

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple recommendations from long ago, but is there a de-facto standard product for this solution? I've got two 100w Renogy panels I'm planning to install in the next week and would rather not drill into the roof to mound the Z-brackets. Is it still recommended to throw some Dicor sealant on top of the contact part of the brackets as well? Thanks.
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread
20 REPLIES 20

2manydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Installed 4 of the same Renogy 100 W panels that you have on our AF 811 last year, although not the same roof type, ours being TPO membrane there are similar considerations to take into account those being the covering not bonded to the substrate and uplift from traveling speeds and the occasional big blows. I would not be concerned with roof penetrations with the use of liberally applied RV sealant. Screws and lots of them are going to be your friend in the fact that your panels are not going to leave your roof! Granted the thin ply that is under does not provide great fastening it does give a certain degree of mechanical bonding which is what I wanted to achieve.
I did not feel comfortable with standard Z tabs giving enough holding strength, made our own with aluminum angle, 2 inch and 1 1/2 respectively the main feet being 4 inches long with 3 screws # 10 1 inch in each with 6 feel for each panel. Search Jack Meyer and Handy Bob for great solar install info. I "Love" my solar!

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
All very helpful! Indeed with the aluminum roof it's just stretched over the frame, and is loose. The sail thought opened my eyes on this that I may very well want to screw these in, as I will be traveling at up to 80mph, but I have no idea to know where the frame cross members are... I need to see if I can track down a blueprint somehow. And a wiring diagram to make sure I'm not drilling into a loom of wiring... argh. It's never easy, is it?
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on one screw. I have seen the tape come off many things. Just the friction of the surfaces being compressed will add a huge margin of shear strength.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I would fasten solar panels to a aluminum roof without fasten them down with screws. Aluminum roofs are not glues down and are only fastened on the sides. I feel if you don't fasten them down with screws you are asking for them to act like a sail and try pulling the aluminum off the roof.

The only roof systems that I would glue a panel to is a fiberglass roof.

This is IMO
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I've used urethane adhesive (Sikaflex is one brand) with proper preparation of the bond surfaces for panels up to 200W and had no problems despite thousands of miles of washboarded roads.
Make sure the adhesive thickness is correct (thinner is rarely better) and the surface area of the bond is large enough and it will never come apart - if you ever need to get it off the roof, you will have to cut through the bond with a sharp knife.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Sentinelist wrote:
I've seen a couple recommendations from long ago, but is there a de-facto standard product for this solution? I've got two 100w Renogy panels I'm planning to install in the next week and would rather not drill into the roof to mound the Z-brackets. Is it still recommended to throw some Dicor sealant on top of the contact part of the brackets as well? Thanks.

Very High Bond (VHB) tape from AM Solar. Yes, cover the bracket bottom with Dicor. This ensures that no water gets to the tape and loosens it up. The VHB tape works great, but I still don't trust it 100%. For this reason I would also use a single screw to mount the bracket to the roof. Extra insurance against high winds.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.