cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for a newbie

AbeFroman77
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a heartland wilderness 3250 BS that i tow with a 2011 F150 3.5 EcoBoost with 3.73 gears. I'm using a 10k rated equalizer WD hitch but wonder if I bought too much trailer for the truck. My Ford dealer said my truck is rated to pull the camper, but i still get the "porpoising" after setting up the hitch per manufacturer specs and making sure the weight is distributed properly on the camper. The truck seems to have plenty of power to pull the 7,600 lb (dry) trailer. We have about 400-500 lbs. we add to that.

Also, I took the advice from someone at Etrailer and ordered Timbren springs for my rear end. Maybe this will help once i get it installed.

So the question.....do i just need to get used to the feeling, will Timbren springs help, or did I bite off too much with my first camper?
13 REPLIES 13

AbeFroman77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback and advice!!!

I've installed the Timberen springs and figured out that the spring arm socket nuts were really loose which was giving me little to no sway control. I can feel the difference of with the springs and was at a top of the spring/axle gap recommendation (1.5"). I may pop the spacer in there to see if it helps.

Regardless, I think my initial thought that i have a lot of trailer for the truck guess is right. It can be done but safety is paramount. I think I'll downsize to a shorter/lighter trailer in the spring when I have a better chance of selling this one. Until then, we're going to do some short 2-3 hour trips to some of the great state parks here in MO.

Thanks again!!!

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
Keep a close eye on transmission temps, even with a trans cooler. I speak from experience. For a while I towed a similar load with a 150.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You're probably at the top of your limit, but it's definitely doable. There's plenty that tow in the same ballpark with that truck. Timbrens will help take a lot of the bounce out of the back end. I have the Firestone versions and they work well.

Have a look at your tires. As a first step, if you aren't already doing it, you could try to air your tires up to the sidewall max when towing. This can give you a more stable ride than the pressures that are listed on the door placard. If the P metrics are just not up to task then you could move up to a P-XL or a LT-E. I'm at the same weights and P-XL works for me.

Putting Bilsteins at all four corners could also help control the suspension movement. I've put them on my truck and they've made a night and day difference loaded and unloaded. They're worth the cost. Although my OEM shocks were decent on my Dodge, the Bilsteins did a much better job.

Lastly, make sure you run your truck across the scales to verify that you're running fairly even weights on your axles. All the suspension enhancements in the world won't help you if your problem is that you're not carrying your weights properly.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Since you mentioned porpoising, and following the WDH instructions, I'm going to say you have too much tension on your spring bars. Take up 1 chain link less and give it a test. I think you've totally leveled your truck with the WDH, and that is too much. The instructions typically overstate the leveling stuff.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

AbeFroman77
Explorer
Explorer
THANK YOU everyone for the insight!! Your experience is really helpful. I'm leaning heavily to going with a smaller trailer based on the feedback to this post and previous other threads on the topic.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
After blowing 1 x transmission and trailer accident, I'm now a firm believer of having more (much more) Tow Vehicle than needed. If it were me, I'd get larger Tow Vehicle or smaller trailer. As mentioned by others, it isn't about towing using calculated math numbers. Its about safe towing.... For example, might be "within spec" using math numbers but add hills and wind resistance and its a major accident (or problem) waiting to happen.... If wondering, normal wind resistance blew my previous tow vehicle's transmission...

2DHoop
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Sausage King of...Missouri

Would it be possible to either borrow or rent a different truck (bigger) and compare the towing experience?

I have a similar weight and hitch setup and have no ill effects so far when towing. Our trucks are different, so maybe this compare will help decide if the issue is with the truck's abilities.

Note: I had the dealer setup the Equal-i-zer® Hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Its too much trailer. Spring will help, but I doubt it will help enough. Most conceder 6k dry the limit for half ton trucks. Better hope you don't have to trailer it home on a windy day.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You probably have 1,000 pounds of tongue weight on the truck. What is the payload capacity of the truck and what else is being carried?

A trailer of that size that has a cargo capacity of less than 1,000 pounds will almost always be overloaded after LPG, batteries, water, food, clothing, and misc. gear is loaded. Filling the fresh water alone will add over 400 pounds.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be within the trucks "tow rating"... But the "tow rating" does not account for how well it's gonna tow for you..

#7600 dry is way more than I'd want to tow with my Max Tow F150, but that's just me... 🙂

I'd tow a trailer with a GVWR of #7500 with my truck.. But I've towed trailers of all sizes and weights with a variety of vehicles since the mid 80's so I know what I like to tow and what I don't like to tow..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The only way you'll know if you're within the trucks weight limits is to load it up like you're going camping and get it weighed.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
What tires are you running? If they're P's you need to get E's.

You may need to upgrade the shocks, I went with Blistein's.

That's how I solved my issues with a TC.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any suspension enhancement will help, but yes, that is more trailer than most would want to tow with a half ton. The loaded hitch weight will use up much of your payload. Also weight adds up quickly. If you fill your water tank, and water heater, that is 500 plus pounds already. Battery, propane, people, and gear?

Lots to consider, hope all goes well, but a 3/4, or 1 ton would make your experience much better/safer.

Jerry