cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice here is so good, need some on solar

mnih
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t resist going back to the well with another question. Picking up a new Bigfoot this week, wondering if I should have the dealer install a standard solar package or wait until I’m in Quartzsite next week. Or any solar dealers between here (Denver) and there you might recommend. Thanks in advance.
2019 F-350, XL CC LB 6.2 DRW
2019 Bigfoot 25C10.4
26 REPLIES 26

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What he just said.
Especially the part about knowing how it’s gonna be fastened to your roof.
There’s no way I’d drill more holes into the roof of a fiberglass Bigfoot or Northern Lite.
Or any camper, really. If I add more panels to mine they will be adhesive-mounted.

This isn’t rocket surgery. You mount the panel on the roof and run the wires to the controller and batteries.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
No matter who you have install your solar make sure they know what the heck they are doing. Do they have a legitimate business and license? Are they bonded? How long have they been in business? Do they have a long list of references?

I have heard more than one horror story from people having their solar installed by hacks.

One example

On your specific camper one line of concern is how the panels will be mounted. With your fiberglass roof some people are hesitant to use mechanical fasteners. Does the installer have specific experience and recommendations on panel mounting on a BF/NL? How will they run cables? What products do they use to seal the roof?

A basic solar install, especially if it is kit form from a reputable supplier isn't a hard project for a decent installer. One poster above recommended AM Solar. I have also heard good things about them. They will also have a variety of panel sizes to choose from to match the unique profile of your roof. They will understand cable sizing, fusing and connectors. They can run you through the pros and cons of PWM vs. MPPT charge controllers.

I would go a route like AM Solar over some desert Pete personally. The extra money spent on a real pro will be worth it for the piece of mind.

Also the more you personally invest your time into understanding the system the better.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Search the archives here. I think some people have good luck with panels from Home Depot and they have good sales sometimes. There are also a lot of videos on youtube that describe a basic install which isn’t really that bad. Of course, if you don’t have any time, I can see paying someone, too.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
I had AMSolar install the system on my motor home. Top notch workmanship. I heartily recommend them.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the Q you may be waiting in line.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stand corrected... No sales tax on anything Solar sounds good to me, never heard that before. The sales tax on everything else in Quartzsite remains something north of 10 percent. This has been an ongoing complaint from the vendors and shoppers for years.

:C

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Quartzsite may have some deals but know that the sales tax there is something north of 10 percent. This makes the Q a great place to shop... to buy, not so much.

BIG TIME WRONG Unless something changed from last season, Arizona does not charge sales tax on anything solar.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't buy at the dealer.

This series of articles may help:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quartzsite may have some deals but know that the sales tax there is something north of 10 percent. This makes the Q a great place to shop... to buy, not so much.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
www.amsolar.com
Bob

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had my dealer install mine. I'm handy, but having all the stuff on hand and we'll integrated I opted for the dealer. The price was fair and part of my total purchase and if there were any issues down the road the dealer would stand behind his work. But my dealer is exceptional so that was also part of the equation. Truck Camper Warehouse in NH.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
mnih wrote:
I can’t resist going back to the well with another question. Picking up a new Bigfoot this week, wondering if I should have the dealer install a standard solar package or wait until I’m in Quartzsite next week. Or any solar dealers between here (Denver) and there you might recommend. Thanks in advance.

My quess is you will likely get a better installation, and probably cheaper, in Quartzsite.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad