cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on Tie Downs for F450 and 5K TC

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to get my truck set up prior to picking up my TC as it's a days ride there and another back. After reading here it sounds like TorkLifts are a good choice for tie downs. Is there anything else I should consider?

The issue is my truck is a 2004 F450 with an after market bed and running boards. Plus it has air bags and therefore the tube on the class 5 hitch is not OEM and it does not have open ends which I understand is where they normally attach the rear tie downs. TorkLift gave me stock numbers but the vendors I have called so far do not have the exact # for the front. What they have is for 2005-2008 F450 which may work but I'm not sure.

So, does anyone with a Older F350 or 450 happen to still have the stock # of their TorkLifts?

Also, does anyone know a good source to order these. Camping World wants $849 for the four installed. I watched a You Tube video from Torklift and the install seems pretty straight forward so I think they are very high!

Finally, are Fast Guns the best choice to anchor the TC. I found 25"-43" S/S on Amazon for $228 a pair. I'm assuming they would work front and back. How does that sound?

Thanks Guys,

2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
6 REPLIES 6

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Talk to Torklift to be sure there are no problems with your truck. Also decide in advance whether you plan to tow a heavy trailer as a Superhitch or the like can impact the rear tie-downs.

Installation time varies with the truck and tie-downs. With the Torklift tie-downs I bought for my 2011 GM truck I had to do a removal of the front tie-downs and trim off some metal to get a good fit and I had to do the same with one of the rear tie downs to keep them from rubbing against the brake and fuel lines. Cutting, grinding, and repainting the tie-downs added considerably to the installation time. I was very glad I was not paying a shop's hourly rate to have the work done.

Bedlam
Isn't your F450 is a chassis cab model with 34" frame rails? I do not believe the chassis cabs vary much between the F450 and F550 over the years. Pickup models changed as Ford tried to improve the F450 ride (which decreased the capacity) and changed again for 2015 when they went back to 19.5" wheels.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

broncobran68
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer just lowered their prices on torklift stuff. I paid 357 for fast guns and locks with free shipping.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my SS fast guns (all 4) for $200.00 I think) on EBAY. I have had the happy jack system before. I prefer torklift by a wide margin. The fast guns are amazingly fast and easy to use. I also bought the locks for my fast guns easy to use and secures things nicely. It took me a couple of hours to install the frame mounts. When I bough my current truck camper from a private party and loaded it on my truck, he said that is the fastest he had ever seen the camper loaded. He had helped his parents load it for the past ten years!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Something to keep in mind...you mentioned the SS Fast guns. Those are shiny, polished ones. Thieves like shiny things that look valuable, and those particular ones do look valuable. For this reason, I purposely went wiit the dull, black model. Something to consider. Also, if you have the time to shop around, you *should* be able to find 4 new FG's for no more than $400. Get the locks to go with them. $50 investment that is well spent.

The tie-downs can vary greatly in price new or used. I wouldn't pay $850. I found a used set, front and rear, on Craigslist for $175 and installed them myself. And yes, they are fairly easy to install. The front driver side on Fords can be tricky, but doable. If you can get the part numbers figured out, you'll be happy with a Torklift setup. I know I am. I thinks it's the best, but there are others that know a lot more than me on the subject. Good luck.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think 850 is really high for mounts only. I installed mine in a couple of hours. I'd check with hitch installers if you aren't doing it. Model numbers for different years are on the Torklift website. They make mounts for non-eom hitches including their own.

I like my fast guns, but I don't know what is a good price.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member