Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Trailer to be left on property

BenWheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a temporary (maybe 2-3 years) solution for overnight stays at our property in East Texas. At some point the plan is to build a cabin or small house.

What is the wisdom of purchasing a travel trailer (used) and leaving it on property for that long? I'm not talking about theft, safety, etc. Specifically, out in the elements with only once or twice per month stays on weekends. Let's assume I buy one that's had an independent pre-purchase inspection and is in solid shape from day one. Is a TT something you can plop down and use in this fashion, and have it last a few years, without it being sheltered? I see them all the time sitting across the landscape, but then again they often look derelict.

Some more info - looking for something in the 28-32 ft class, sleeps 6+ if possible. Will pay someone to tow it down there and there it will stay until we build something permanent. Will haul waste to the local dump station or have a porta potty service come by every once in a while. Looking mostly at those 4-10 years old.

Thanks in advance. I'm new to this but wanting/needing to get a solution in place for summer.

Thanks,
Bill
10 REPLIES 10

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
If you have any slope, level the camper, set the drains to the slope, run a 12" deep trench, install perforated 4" on 3/4" minus cover with porous membrane and refill. Before any jump in to criticize, this could be range and patties aren't buried. Gravel is good for a base. I would go with a 1" minus and top with ground limestone. This will give a pretty firm base and a smooth top. If you don't need A/C you can get by with the genny, A/C will break the bank. Power near the pond will be appreciated in the future even if you locate to a different area. Think, lights, pavilion for picnics aerator for fish during high heat or freezing weather. Once you have a meter base you can drag the power on your own poles wherever you wish. BTDT

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Run your power to location for trailer put in a central service main breakers and meter, power can then be run from there to anywhere on the property at a later date.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Build a roof over it. Jack it up, stablize the frame and take the wheels off. Add skirting under neath. A pad would be nice, at least compacted earth and gravel.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
go for it,sounds like a plan. I would try and make it critter proof as possible.

BenWheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone.

RE: Power, I was going to run a generator for the weekends when needed (again, temporarily) but maybe short-sighted thinking. The electric company will bring the service in about 100 ft I believe, but the rest is on me. That part is expected, but problem is I don't know where I will ultimately need the power routed. Could be a couple thousand feet in another direction. The land is around 80 acres and we're still scouting a permanent place for a cabin/small house. In the meantime, the trailer would go next to a 1.5 acre pond we dug last summer. The permanent structure might not go there ultimately.

I like the idea of a pad, or at least a nice gravel parking spot.

The septic system is something I've got to get... but again, not sure where the ultimate location will need to be for the tank.

As far as maintenance goes, I'll be there to keep it cleaned up every couple weekends at least...by that I mean make sure things are tight and locked, sprayed off, etc. ...but the cost of a carport definitely pushes things up a bunch if it's a decent one. Unless it's one of those Harbor Freight jobs but I think that'd blow away sooner than later! Potential for severe weather is a fact of life in this part, starting now through about October.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
afidel wrote:
Personally I'd throw a cheap carport over it, keep the sun off which would reduce cooling energy, wear on the roof, and the chance of leaks.

I agree with this.

Plus a cement pad or good gravel parking spot.

I agree with both of these replies..
I'd even go as far as pour a pad for it and put in the septic system, and power,

you'll need it someday anyway.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

trailer_newbe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can’t say if financially that is your best option, but certainly 2-3 years will be fine. You’ll want at least a 30 amp circuit, water hook up and tied to a septic or sewer system.

Lots of people are permanent campers, which is basically the same thing
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Personally I'd throw a cheap carport over it, keep the sun off which would reduce cooling energy, wear on the roof, and the chance of leaks.

I agree with this.

Plus a cement pad or good gravel parking spot.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Why not? People leave trailers at seasonal campsites sometimes for many years. And they don't always end up looking derelict. Like you house or car you still need to do maintenance. The derelict ones you see are not cared for.

One thing you'll want to do is check local ordinances for doing this.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH