cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on travel trailer brakes

tentenroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to travel trailer towing, and need some advice on setting up the trailer brakes. I have a brake module under the truck dash that gives me a variety of brake settings. How do I know when I have the brakes setting properly? What are trailer brakes supposed to feel like?
7 REPLIES 7

tentenroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice. Will get to work on it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
When a brake controller is correctly set. You should NOT actually "feel" the trailer brakes come on with the brakes pedal. The TV, and trailer should just stop as one.

Generally to setup a Brake controller. You find a large lot. Get up to 25 MPH, and pull the manual lever all the way to it's stop. You want the trailer brakes to "ALMOST" lock up, but not quite. If they are too strong, adjust, and do it again, same if they are too weak.

You do NOT want the trailer brakes to jerk the TV, or push the TV using the brake pedal. As I said. The TV, and TT should smoothly stop as one.

X2

Of course this is assuming trailer brakes have been properly adjusted.
Most trailer brakes have to be manually adjusted. Even new trailer brakes should be checked

Jack up one wheel at a time.
On backside of drum is a slot (bottom with rubber plug)
Inside is a star wheel..
Rotate tire by hand and adjust star wheel until brake shoes are tight against drum stopping you from being able to rotate tire (use a wide flat blade screw driver....usually the star wheel tightens by moving it upward-----insert screw driver at an angle with handle high, engage star wheel then move handle down)
Then back off star wheel until you can just rotate wheel (should hear/feel drag of brake shoes)

After checking/adjusting brakes.....go set up controller as above
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

Assume electric trailer brakes with electric Brake Controller used for your TV/TT combo.

Many different areas to check / adjust to ensure smooth braking operation. They are:

- Trailer bakes must be within mechanical specs. If haven't done in the last 12 months (which is standard mtce schedule), remove brake hubs and measure remaining brake pad thickness, magnet thickness and inner brake drum contact areas. All inner brake hub inner contents must be better then minimum specs. And, must all look the same as well. re: Don't want one hub dramatically scared and others with same smooth wearing surface. All hubs must be within same wear state - to ensure mechanical balance.

- Trailer brake pads must be adjusted the same as well. Using cold drums and flat screw driver, adjust the brake pad contact point. Then, back off 10 clicks. Lots of You-Tube videos on how to mechanically adjust the trailer brake pads. Again, all hubs must be adjusted the same or one hub endures more stress (usage) than the others. And, braking becomes unbalanced.

- The wiring from each wheel hub to the Tow Vehicle's hitch must be checked and ensure all is good. For every trailer I owned, I puposely remove the factory "weak design" linear wiring and UPGRADE with much better STAR wiring design. Before and after results are amazing. If planning to keep your TT for 3+ years, I'd replace with STAR wiring design (using thick 10 gauge 12V wiring). re:
- click here for poor "factory" linear design -
- click here for much better STAR design -
Note: IMO, factory minimum should be STAR design. That's how much better and "balanced" current flow it is (compared to low cost / linear minimum code factory design).

- Brake Controller needs to be inertia (motion sensor) based - like the Prodigy Px models. If you have a "timed" technology brake controller, definitely remove, trash it and replace with inertia type - like Prodigy brands. IMO, "timed" brake controllers should be illegal and pulled from all Tow Vehicles. IMO, Time technology is trash!

- Brake Controller must be set for each unique trailer. And, some BC's must be set for empty and loaded trailer load as well. For example, my empty utility trailer needs 3.5 setting. But my 3,000 lbs loaded utility trailer needs 5.5 setting. Loaded at 2,000 lbs needs an "in the middle" number. When pulling my boat, I use a 5.0 boost setting on my Brake Controller. Your Brake Controller and/or "average loaded" trailer will need its own unique adjusted number as well.

As a suggestion, start from the top list items (re: hub's inner mechanics) and work your way down the list. If one item is off (for example, one brake pad is improperly set or too worn out compared to others), then one's trailer brakes will always feel funny. Everything must be balanced.

And rememberโ€ฆ. When setting brakes with "inertia" technology Brake Controllers, best to test doing 25+ mph. If testing at lower speeds (or if wheel hub is lifted on a jack), the BC's internal inertia triggers aren't very accurate (or won't work at all). Best to test braking "smoothness" feeling going 25+ mph down a smooth road. And, remember to test with "average" loaded trailer. Testing with empty trailer (before going on that long trip) doesn't create most accurate BC setting number for loaded trailer towing either.

Hope this helpsโ€ฆ

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
With normal driving and stopping you should not feel the trailer if your brake controller is set up correctly.

You never want the trailer brakes locking. When this happens the braking effort of the trailer is greatly reduced and there is danger of a jack knife if you are in an emergency situation and can not let of the brakes.

If we know what brake controller you have more help in setting it up can be had.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Try not to lock up the brakes as you can patch a tire.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When a brake controller is correctly set. You should NOT actually "feel" the trailer brakes come on with the brakes pedal. The TV, and trailer should just stop as one.

Generally to setup a Brake controller. You find a large lot. Get up to 25 MPH, and pull the manual lever all the way to it's stop. You want the trailer brakes to "ALMOST" lock up, but not quite. If they are too strong, adjust, and do it again, same if they are too weak.

You do NOT want the trailer brakes to jerk the TV, or push the TV using the brake pedal. As I said. The TV, and TT should smoothly stop as one.

I can't feel my TT brakes come on. How do I know they are helping? I have heard the trailer tire crying under hard braking. Not locking, but crying, just before lock.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You might start by sharing the brand and model of brake controller.

In short, you should feel the brakes but the tires should not lock and skid.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900