cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice reference Jayco SLX 212QBW

Trashman336
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are thinking about a Jayco SLX 212QBW but wanted some advice from all you knowledgeable individuals. This is going to be our first trailer and was wonder if the SLX's have a good reputation.

We were originally looking at a new 2014 Dutchman Kodiak 221 RBS but notice a significant design flaw. The reason it's still hasn't sold is because of the design flaw. The media wall was directly at the end of the bed and I had difficulty laying on the bed flat because of the media wall. I was totally bummed because it was a great looking trailer.

All advice is welcomed.

Thank you

Trash man
12 REPLIES 12

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
We went camping last weekend in our 212QBW and had a great time. Went to Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs. No issues with the trailer (except I had to replace the P-trap under the kitchen sink).

Didn't miss LED lights under the awing. Didn't miss the medicine cabinet. Stuff like this we can add ourselves at some point if we want.

I did add a wifi camera to the back of the trailer and tank heaters for the holding tanks. Both mods worked great. Overall we're very happy with our choice.
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our 2017 Jayflight SLX 212QBW on Saturday, and on the way home (3 1/2 hour drive to our dealer), stopped for the night at one of our Provincial Parks that stays open after Oct 31st. Plus, the weather here in Ontario was around 65 degrees. We traded in our 195RB Jayflight SLX, not that we did not like it, but the things we wanted were in the next size up. When you go from the 195 to the 212, you gain not only length, but an extra 12" width, plus 8" of interior height. It was nice to be able to use it for the one night before putting it away. Gave us the chance to check things over, see the added bonus' etc. When you step up to the 8' wide models, you get more than the 7'. .... almost to the point where you question why everyone thinks the SLX has many down falls compared to the regular Jayflights. Ya, i'm sure the Jayflight has a few more cabinets, a bigger fridge .... but i'm telling you, this is my 5th jayflight ... and this one is as good as the others i have owned. The 195 and lower ride on a pop-up platform, because they are light weight and they can, the 212 and above are on the same I beam frame as its brother. The roof is plywood, not particle board, and is the true domed roof. No , it does not have led liht strips under the awning, but oh well .... what it does have, and this is a first for me and my many Jayco's, it has a light for the step! The wife was thrilled. Another plus on this model, the window at the rear of the trailer opens.... talk about ventilation. Many trailers i see have the solid rear window, this one slides. Just can't wait to get to open it up and enjoy the great outdoors ..... next spring:)
2017 Jayflight 26BH Elite

Ken_O
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a '17 21QB Flight not SLX. I traded in a '12 19RD, which I was happy with, but hated the bed, very hard to make it with only about three foot of one side open to work with.

I looked at the SLX line, and it would have worked, except for one big exception, the FWT capacity. I do an annual week boondock, and need the 90 gallons I get with the Flight. Its one of the main reasons I stayed with Jayco, not many have that big of tanks on a smaller trailer.

Everyone has different requirements, I know campers that have never put water in the tanks, they only go to places with water hookups. And the same goes with electricity, I think some don't know that the trailers are equipped to be used without it. I could go on....

I was surprised how much more advanced the '17 was over the '12. LED lights, which I did myself in the old one, solar hookups, larger fridge, etc. But, the main thing was the bed was open on three sides!

Good luck on whatever you go with.
Silverado 250HD '07 Duramax
2017 Jayflight 21QB

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our third Jayco in over 22 years. We looked until our eyeballs hurt. Wound up back in a Jayco. No new car bugs in the 7 months we've owned this one.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly considered the SLX 264BHW before I bought my Springdale, but I got a lot more "bang for the buck" with what I ended up getting. The SLX was nice, but was missing some key features that I really wanted, like the LED light strip on the awning for example. There were some other not so nice touches, like all of the windows not opening for ventilation, no medicine cabinet (only a mirror), small entry grab handle, significantly less cabinets, and lower ground clearance. So far, I haven't had any buyer's remorse by going with the Springdale and not the Jay Flight.
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Main difference i saw, which is a big deal for me, is that the slx does not use plywood for the roof. It uses osb for the roof and i don't like that. Slx also does not have a roof ladder, has way less fresh tank capacity, no black tank flush,etc. A lot of differences really for not much more $ if your buying new. But that's me. We were seriously looking at them earlier this year, but decided to keep our old trailer with a one piece aluminum roof for now.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
We are picking up our '17 212QBW on Saturday, going to do a stop over for the night before hibernation...... looking forward to it.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 2016 212QBW. The PO paid around $22k for it (saw the receipt) and used it twice. We got it for $12,500. While there are some differences between it and our previous Jayflight, it so far looks like a quality TT. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the more expensive trailers, but that's to be expected. I already added a wifi camera to it and am working on adding heated tank pads and insulation.

Overall we don't feel like it was a downgrade at all (other than length/weight).
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"

rickm
Explorer
Explorer
FYI on this post, beyond what some might think, the SLX is not a bad choice for the price concience consumer. Yes, they have to cut some corners to keep weight/price down. Now, if you read the brochure, you will find that the 212 and larger models ride on the same I beam frame as the Jayflight, same 5/8" plywood on the floor, same Magnum Truss Roof System same branded appliances, same cabinetry, same 2 year warranty .... what they lack is the flash and flare of the Jayflight. Yes, they do replace cabinets with shelves in some areas, but at the end of the day, it does the job, and quite well. Now, as for price, not sure how it is in the US, but up here in Canada, there is quite a huge difference in pricing between the two. This summer at the Provincial Park we were at, Jayco was well represented, as it is a very popular brand here, and many of those Jaycos were Jayflight SLX's. To anyone who is interested in a SLX, i have owned both, i would highly recommend either line ... buy what you can afford. BTW, as for the 195RB and down, only 7' wide, yes rides on the smaller frame, still has the quality brand appliances as their bigger brothers,just in an affordable package!

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with Mike up.... I have a Jay flight and when I have looked at the SLX or Swift, they just come up lacking. I really think you would soon wish you had the extras of the regular JayFlight and wish you had made a different choice, as the costs appear so close.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
we think Jayco makes good trailers, and have been really happy with ours. We did do a number of improvements on ours: bigger medicine cabinet above the toilet, lengthened the 75" bed to 80 inches, slide out drawers in pantry, slide out drawer in outside storage, solar panels and some other minor changes.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Trashman336 wrote:
My wife and I are thinking about a Jayco SLX 212QBW but wanted some advice from all you knowledgeable individuals. This is going to be our first trailer and was wonder if the SLX's have a good reputation.

We were originally looking at a new 2014 Dutchman Kodiak 221 RBS but notice a significant design flaw. The reason it's still hasn't sold is because of the design flaw. The media wall was directly at the end of the bed and I had difficulty laying on the bed flat because of the media wall. I was totally bummed because it was a great looking trailer.

All advice is welcomed.

Thank you

Trash man

That media wall design flaw, is actually typical with many models. The wall was right at the end of the 75" bed mattress in our previous Jay Flight 19BH. Since most people don't sleep stretched out, the industry must not think it's a big deal. I dealt with it in my previous Jay Flight 19BH and didn't find it a problem at all. Is is nice though to allow your feet to overhang if you do want to stretch out though. One of the benefits of our new Jay Flight 26BH.

I personally would not buy a Jay Flight SLX. They are the cheapest build of all Jay Flights since 2004. Not in design but cut backs to save money. The lack of dresser cabinets for a shelf is a deal killer for me right there. The lower end A/C unit is another. The cheaper made frame that's not I-class cambered structural steel I-beams as in the standard Jay Flights is questionable IMO. The SLX uses a smaller 4-inch cambered steel box tube frame which accounts for it's lower GVWR. There's many others that aren't readily apparent until you go through with a fine tooth comb comparing to a standard Jay Flight. Read the brochure on page 12 to see the differences.

For not much extra weight or money, it's just smarter IMO to go with a Jay Flight. The weight is usually only around 200 - 300 lbs more with a Jay Flight and maybe $2000 more as well.

If you plan on keeping it a while, the standard Jay Flight is the only way to go. If you don't, for resale, the standard Jay Flight again. Not many people want shelves instead of dressers or low end appliances.

If you can get it for a deal and can live with it's lack of features, then grab by all means.

For me, the Jay Flight 23RB or a 23MB would be the smarter choice. We had the less featured 2008 Jay Flight 19BH, but still much more than any Swift or SLX Jay Flight, and loved it.

That's why we went up to a 26BH. The same floorplan but with the added front queen bedroom. Plus the 26BH has a lot of the luxury G2 Jay Flight features as they combined the 2 models when the G2 models were discontinued in 2011.

Good luck
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.