Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aftermarket wheels

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
Gentlemen,

I have a 2016 Ford F350 Lariat LB DRW and a 2008 Lance Max981 camper.

Suspension and current wheels and tires are all stock (Alcoa wheels). I want to switch out the wheels and tires for some aftermarket 20" Fuel's or Vision's. The ones I like require no spacers. The Fuel's are rated at 2500 lbs. and the Vision's are rated at 4300. I would be mounting some Toyo Open Country tires on them.

Clearly the Vision wheels will handle the weight. What do you think about the Fuel's? Also, I sometimes pull a 3500 lbs. boat behind the setup. All my truck gear is Torklift. Camper probably right at about 4000 lbs.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/7210/VisionHDTruck/Trailer/401%20Rival?finishID=591

http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel/11115/fuel%2Ddually%2Dwheels%2Dtriton%2Ddually%2Drear/?finishID=329&lugs=8
2016 Ford F350 6.7 PSD CC LARIAT DRW

Tork Lift tie downs/FastGuns/SuperHitch

Vision 401 Rival wheels, Toyo ATIII tires

2007 LanceMax 981 Fully loaded
35 REPLIES 35

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
docjay wrote:
I’ve been considering the 19.5 x 6.75 Vision Heavy Haulers because by my understanding they are narrow enough not to extend beyond the fenders.

They line up fine. No spacers needed.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
I see guys with lifted trucks running aftermarket, lug-centric, cast wheels and big ol tires with an Arctic Fox and I think to myself...Yeah, it looks cool, but there's no way that high centered mass lumbering down a hwy would remain upright should a wheel failure occur. I just don't get it. Yet lots of fellow TC'ers seem to applaud it.

Ha, I think they’re in heavy competition for the Darwin Award - lol

3 tons

docjay
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve been considering the 19.5 x 6.75 Vision Heavy Haulers because by my understanding they are narrow enough not to extend beyond the fenders.

docjay
Explorer
Explorer
milleda31 wrote:
I decided on the Vision 401 Rivals due to the 3750 lbs. rating. They will be here this coming week so I will update the thread then.

In the meantime, I did reach out directly to Vision with questions. The wheels and tires I ordered should be flush with the fenders. I went with Toyo AT3 tires. Replacing all six.

Let us know how they work out. I have been trying to decide on aftermarket wheels for my 2019 F350 DRW. I believe the Rivals are 20x8.5” so I thInk the wheels/tires will extend outside the fender flares. Won’t that make it impossible to clear the camper jacks? If the offsets allow for the tires to be within the fenders then by my understanding the rear tires may contact each other under load. I think this would require a spacer between the wheels which will again put the tires extending beyond the fenders.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
HaHa True. More money than brains down here.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
joeshmoe wrote:
I see guys with lifted trucks running aftermarket, lug-centric, cast wheels and big ol tires with an Arctic Fox and I think to myself...Yeah, it looks cool, but there's no way that high centered mass lumbering down a hwy would remain upright should a wheel failure occur. I just don't get it. Yet lots of fellow TC'ers seem to applaud it.

That's SoCal

Looks over functionality rules

Lifted trucks and Plastic surgeons on every block LOL
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
I decided on the Vision 401 Rivals due to the 3750 lbs. rating. They will be here this coming week so I will update the thread then.

In the meantime, I did reach out directly to Vision with questions. The wheels and tires I ordered should be flush with the fenders. I went with Toyo AT3 tires. Replacing all six.

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
19.5s are a completely different type of tire. Your ride will probably change significantly since the tires are much tougher.

Right....I mentioned that I had 19.5's on my old SRW. I have no intention of putting them on my DRW.

I know the habit is to read the last post in a thread and then comment, but, that often doesn't keep the conversation in context.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might glean some useful information off this old thread.
19.5 Wheels

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
19.5s are a completely different type of tire. Your ride will probably change significantly since the tires are much tougher.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
milleda31 wrote:
3 tons wrote:
First off, Safety matters and the majority of the ‘racy’ aftermarket wheels out there are of the cheap cast variety designed more for looks rather than loads - go forged like your robust Alcoa’s and stay Safe...

3 tons

Agree 100%

I used to haul my Lance on a 2001 F350 7.3 SRW. I upgraded the wheels on that vehicle to Vision 19.5" rated at 3900 lbs. I also ran load range F tires on it.

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/867/VisionHDTruck/Trailer/81A%20Heavy%20Hauler?finishID=103

The Visions in my first post are rated at 4300 lbs. and add the fact that my current truck is a DRW. I am assuming that I'm good to go, correct?

Just to be clear: the 16" Vison Heavy Hauler 81A's are rated for 3900lbs, the 19.5" version is rated for 4500lbs.

Vison Website

- Mark0.

Sorry, you are correct. I meant to link the 19.5" version of those wheels.

Thank you for the correction.

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Avoid the tons of cheap cast wheels out there, they are junk when carrying weight, stick with a quality forged wheel. If you don't see a HD weight rating listed, assume its for a 1/2 ton or SUV.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
milleda31 wrote:
What do you think about the Fuel's?

With a 2500lb rating the Fuel's should not even be a consideration.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
milleda31 wrote:
3 tons wrote:
First off, Safety matters and the majority of the ‘racy’ aftermarket wheels out there are of the cheap cast variety designed more for looks rather than loads - go forged like your robust Alcoa’s and stay Safe...

3 tons

Agree 100%

I used to haul my Lance on a 2001 F350 7.3 SRW. I upgraded the wheels on that vehicle to Vision 19.5" rated at 3900 lbs. I also ran load range F tires on it.

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/867/VisionHDTruck/Trailer/81A%20Heavy%20Hauler?finishID=103

The Visions in my first post are rated at 4300 lbs. and add the fact that my current truck is a DRW. I am assuming that I'm good to go, correct?

Just to be clear: the 16" Vison Heavy Hauler 81A's are rated for 3900lbs, the 19.5" version is rated for 4500lbs.

Vison Website

- Mark0.