cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air compressor for winterizing

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about doing my own winterizing this year. I'm also planning to resurface my deck at home. Each job raises the possibility of purchasing an air compressor. But I know very little about air compressors. Can one air compressor be powerful enough to drive nails but also be dialed back to blow out water lines in my TT?
21 REPLIES 21

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a decent cheap portable one at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-gal-15-hp-150-psi-professional-air-compressor-68149.html

But as mentioned, more volume makes it much more versatile.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a compressor, get a 150 psi unit. The cost isn't much more than a lower psi model.
The smaller units take longer to air up your tires and may not do the job.
You may as well get something that will do more than blow out the lines on the RV.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The larger the tank the more you can do with a compressor. The small portable units have enough cfm for tires, blowing out lines etc. For air tools lke air wrenches you need the larger units. At home Depot and Lowes you will see on the side of the tank what they will handle.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
To properly blow out an rv with air, you need a compressor capable rated at 4+ CFM @ 90 psi.
Compact Jobsite compressors are generally inadequate to supply the volume of air at pressure needed to blow a rig dry. They are designed to power a couple of air nailers with a lower supply demand.
For the same money, go get a 30 gallon 1.5 hp from your box store that will handle all your needs and outlast the compact.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Just about all air compressors come with an air pressure regulator, so you can run up the PSI for those air tools you use, and lower the psi for duties like blowing dust around or pumping up tires in a bike. What you really need to be wary of are volume and storage. Personally, the more volume you can practically store, the better. I have a 30 gallon unit and it can run all my air tools from a nail gun to my impacts wrenches and air hammer. To run tools like paint sprayers and impact wrenches, you need lots of volume, at least 25 gallons worth of air for most air tools, and maybe 50 or more gallons for paint sprayers to maintain a constant spray pressure. But for things like a nail gun, you only need a 1 or 2 gallon unit.

However, if you need to drag your air compressor to somewhere like a roof or through doorways and all around, make sure you have a wheeled unit or make sure it's small and light enough to take around with you.

So consider how you will use the air compressor (just nail guns and occasionally pumping up tires? Or any intense use like paint sprayers or impact wrenches). Consider where you will use it (In the house? Garage? Roof? etc...). That will help guide you into selecting the right compressor for you.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you can. And for winterizing, and oil less pancake compressor will be just fine. I recently ordered one from Amazon, a 150 psi Porter Cable and it came with a nice little accessory kit which included a 25' hose. I have also used it with a nailer. $127.00 which was cheaper than the local big box stores.
Times fun when you're having flies!

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes.. I can run from 1 psi to 150 psi with the 15 year old Craftsman compressor I have.

You can't just let it run continually while using it however... It was only a $150.00 compressor! (15 gallon tank)

I will let mine run for about 5 minutes continually and then let it rest for at least 5 minutes (it takes about 5 minutes for it to fill from zero psi) if I'm using enough air using a tool or blowing out my lawn sprinkler system, or the trailer lines.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.