cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Filters For Your Trucks

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
So what air filters do you run in your gas/Diesels besides K&N? Time to replace mine and looking toward Fleetgaurd but could o with the OE Mopar.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
62 REPLIES 62

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"The difference is clear!"

Uh, one's used and one's new?

:B

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The difference is clear!"

Uh, one's used and one's new?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
1320Fastback wrote:
K&N is trash and will dust your motor.

Ditto

NEVER use K&N air filters. Pull one of the the box at a store and hold it up to the light. Every one I have checked, I can see through the filter media.

I still run a GM OEM filter in my 2009 Duramax. I think I've only changed the filter twice in 12 years.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well when I changed the oil for the first time on our new to us 2016 Ram CTD, I did a comparison of the filter the Ford dealer used on it and the Fleetguard StrataPore I replaced it with. The old is on top the Fleetguard on the bottom. The difference is clear!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wintersun wrote:
K&N have their advantages for racing vehicles but not for use on paved highways. With my diesel pickup I bought a Fram replacement filter but it was much lower quality and a poorer fit than the stock GM air filter.

What 99% of people do not know is that a filter is least effective when it is brand new and before any "loading" of the media has taken place (same is true for fuel filters). The only way to improve air flow is to reduce the filtering of particles in the air, as with the K&N filters. Not a problem with a race engine that only has to finish the race but not a good choice if you want to put as many miles as possible on an engine.

With FRAM ya get what YA pay for!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Fleetgaurd oil filters are still made in the USA and I can try to get my Fleetgaurd rep from Cummins cooperate on this thread to prove it."

Would you like to make a friendly wager??? I said "FleetGuard oil filters are not made in USA any longer so that is another reason I switched" I should have said 5.9/6.7 FleetGuard StrataPore oil filters are not made in USA any longer so that is another reason I switched.

You made a blanket statement and so did I but you know what I was referring to. So please prove me wrong.

So you are saying apples and oranges, I am talking quality here as to why I buy what I buy. Simply no comparison with the NAPA/WIX. You should know how important it is to have the BEST filtration for your fuel with the cost of injectors in our modern cummins trucks.

HAPA Gold does NOT compare to StrataPore or NanoNet Fuel filtration plain and simple.

The StrataPore for our trucks has been made in Mexico for at least a couple years now. Now have your friend tell you so and report back please.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
K&N have their advantages for racing vehicles but not for use on paved highways. With my diesel pickup I bought a Fram replacement filter but it was much lower quality and a poorer fit than the stock GM air filter.

What 99% of people do not know is that a filter is least effective when it is brand new and before any "loading" of the media has taken place (same is true for fuel filters). The only way to improve air flow is to reduce the filtering of particles in the air, as with the K&N filters. Not a problem with a race engine that only has to finish the race but not a good choice if you want to put as many miles as possible on an engine.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FleetGuard oil filters are not made in USA any longer so that is another reason I switched.

Totally get there are only so many battery manufacturers. They do make batteries to the spec people want so batteries can be different.

The MOPAR FleetGuard air filter has changed numbers and is improved to meet the 19 and newer specs.

To give you a comparison of filters my friend had someone change his 13 RAM Fuel filters. When I went to remove the engine mounted filter I no way could pull it out by hand. I had to pry it out. The filters were NAPA and a side by side comparison can tell you the FleetGuard/MOPAR filter has more filter media.

Things may be made by the same company but the quality can be different!

No comparison between the filters. NAPA/WIX and MOPAR/FleetGuard

There are two variants of that filter. The synthetic media version(FS53000) and the standard media version(FS43255). Both made and still offered by Fleetgaurd and is sold to various other filter manufacturers. Just like how FLeetgaurd offers a good and best version, so do many other filter suppliers like the standard Napa version versus the Napa Gold version. So what you are comparing in that picture is the synthetic version versus the standard version so it is not apples to apples when comparing each brands re-labeled product.

Fleetgaurd oil filters are still made in the USA and I can try to get my Fleetgaurd rep from Cummins cooperate on this thread to prove it. I just had a meeting with him on next years pricing. They have had some supply chain issues forcing them to get filters from other factories for a short period of time or move product to different factories to meet demand, but they typically sell product in the same region they are produced. The N/A product comes from the N/A factories, the South American product comes from the South American factories, the Asian product comes from the Asian factories, and so on.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FleetGuard oil filters are not made in USA any longer so that is another reason I switched.

Totally get there are only so many battery manufacturers. They do make batteries to the spec people want so batteries can be different.

The MOPAR FleetGuard air filter has changed numbers and is improved to meet the 19 and newer specs.

To give you a comparison of filters my friend had someone change his 13 RAM Fuel filters. When I went to remove the engine mounted filter I no way could pull it out by hand. I had to pry it out. The filters were NAPA and a side by side comparison can tell you the FleetGuard/MOPAR filter has more filter media.

Things may be made by the same company but the quality can be different!

No comparison between the filters. NAPA/WIX and MOPAR/FleetGuard

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nope just wanting the best product available. Example I used to run the FleetGuard Stratopore oil filters but since the AMZ/OIL-Donaldson are a better filter i have switched.

Don't think you will get a better stock air filter than the FleetGuard/MOPAR.

But what if the Fleetgaurd/Mopar is the exact same as the Wix coming out of the same factory? I bet if you did a little research, you will likely find that they are procured from the same company. Contrary to popular belief, filter manufacturers do not make every filter they sell. Many times they will buy from a competitor and relabel it if it is cheaper to do so or if the competitor still has a patent on the filter. Since Mopar does not make their own filters and Fleetguard doesn't make this filter, they are both likely getting this filter from the same company that Wix is also getting it from.

It is like vehicle batteries. There are only three major battery manufacturers in the US. Clarios(used to be Johnson Controls), East Penn, and Exide. These three make all those battery brands people fight over claiming one is better than the other. The last time I visited Clarios(who makes our branded battery for my company), I saw interstate batteries come of the same line as Motorcraft batteries. The only difference is between each brands good/better/best batteries which may have a different virgin lead content. is bonded, and/or has some other accessory like a handle. However, all "good" batteries from every brand comes off the same base battery line, just like all of the "better" comes of the second tier assembly lines as well as the "best' coming off the tier 1 assembly line.

In regards to Fleetgaurd's Stratopore, they actually sold this synthetic media to many other competitors when it first came out because these competitors did have the means to make it. This synthetic media was made specifically to Cummins' spec so even if Donaldson or Amzoil has a better filter media(which I don't think they do based on my data), it will not do anything to extend the life of your engine so it is basically pointless especially if it costs more. If you can show me where the Donaldson/Amzoil filter will extend the life of my engine X amount of miles more than the Fleetgaurd, then I might be intrigued.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
No one here even mentions Wix. Why?

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

Yup. Going for it but was just curious that Wix wasn't in the mix

Wix is a fine option. Some folks let brand loyalty cloud their recommendationsโ€ฆ.

Nope just wanting the best product available. Example I used to run the FleetGuard Stratopore oil filters but since the AMZ/OIL-Donaldson are a better filter i have switched.

Don't think you will get a better stock air filter than the FleetGuard/MOPAR.

blt2ski
Wix and napa are same filters. Napa has on more digit, last four are the same as wix four.
I've run them too. Easy to find.
Also have run Baldwin.
Then the one manufacture makes ALL one size is not that uncommon. The GM 6.5TD fuel filter were one manufacture, just different boxes for a given brand.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:

Simply NOT the same quality as MOPAR or FleetGuard. I posted the one I run and I think by now you know I am a pick MoFo just order it and be happy!!!

Wix is a fine option. Some folks let brand loyalty cloud their recommendationsโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:

A local well respected auto repair shop uses Wix filters in their oil change bay. Iโ€™ve had oil changes done there once in a while on 2 of my pickups and I think they put in a Wix air filter I needed โ€ฆ

So that means I would have run Wix filters! Now Wix is on the list.

Some of the cut open and examine filter videos are interesting.

If you want ultra filtration a bypass filter kit in addition to the oil filter on the engine is an option.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
SweetLou wrote:

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie