cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Tabs Installed

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Well I pull the trigger to and install Air Tabs on my camper. Hoping to cut the wind noise around the passenger door and reduce bugs. We will see how it works. ART

55 REPLIES 55

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Art,

Thanks for the picture. I guess I'll have to try some in that location on my cabover. The ones on the rear did make a huge wind noise difference.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
PIANOTUNA here are the photos on my truck. I went off one of the wings on the bottom goose then snap a caulk line. They need about 3/4 inch apart they recommended a thumb space. So that is what I did they say 3 per foot, but due to how the shell is laid out I had a larger gap on the outside ones. But they should not touch.

Steve, I have not yet, just the mileage tracker on my truck. I was getting around 10 or 11 before, coming home when checking it read 11 and 12. So millage is yet TBD. I'm going to add these towards the rear of the camper like stated on there web site. So that should reduce the drag. This is a test in progress, but as I mention above I'm very happy the wind noise as been eliminated so to speak. And bugs reduce ALOT. ART

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Art Schlangen wrote:
Ok Hot of the press. I just got back from a 300mile trip. Cab noise from wind 98% gone. My wife and I can speak without screaming. We had a good head wind coming home VERY HAPPY. Bugs about a 90% improvement. Money will spent going to add some on the tail end of camper also to reduce drag on the tail end. I would recommend them It worked for me. ART
Thanks for the report! I'm glad it worked for you.
Do you track gas mileage closely enough to comment on it?
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

TravelingLight2
Explorer
Explorer
Several U-tube videos about these available. Some show before and after wind tests with marker flags. Look good to me.
Sometimes...when you say you're doin' pretty good...it's like sayin' you're the best lookin' puppy in a pretty ugly litter

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Art,

I'm glad it reduced the noise.

Can you post a more distant picture of the installation--I want to see where they actually are and I can not figure it out from the close ups that are already online.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Hot of the press. I just got back from a 300mile trip. Cab noise from wind 98% gone. My wife and I can speak without screaming. We had a good head wind coming home VERY HAPPY. Bugs about a 90% improvement. Money will spent going to add some on the tail end of camper also to reduce drag on the tail end. I would recommend them It worked for me. ART

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
steve68steve wrote:
BCbigfoot: disclaimer: I'm not an aeronautical engineer - there's every chance I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

The airtabs would have to create a row of vortices with a length and direction such that the 'sheet' of vortices would "fly over" the stuff on the roof trapping bubble of low pressure air up there (lol - which would theoretically unload your suspension a little). There's a lot of variables - do the airtabs actually make a strong vortex? at what speed? how long are they? what's the ideal placement of them? would the air you'r moving thru push the vortices down into the roof projections and make things worse? if so, at what speed do you change from 'beneficial' to 'detrimental'? and on and on.

But qualitatively, it makes sense - I guess it could work. Short of having a scale model for wind tunnel tests, or a buddy who's an aerodynamicist with $10,000 modeling software, stuff like this is all down to educated guessing - trial and error.

HaHa thanks Steve68, I respect your thought's/ideas and open mind.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Altern wrote:
The purpose of air tabs on an aircraft is to improve slow flight handling and reduce stall speed.
Their purpose on a metal box with attached a/c's, vents, antenna's etc seems ill defined at best. So far it looks like "lets stick 'em on & see what we get".
Without repeatable data based upon identical or nearly so configurations their value cannot be anything other than costly subjective hearsay.
YMMV
Good luck

In most part I agree, however isn't that the case with most scientific theories? impossible to get absolute proof, the Wright Bros. built a contraption based on it should/might (and a wind tunnel that every one on RV.net would laugh at if we tried to use it on our RV's) work with no proof it would work. It was accumulated failure and success (of themselves and others) that ultimately gave them the necessary knowledge to fly.

When do we ever get absolutes about most of lifes issue's such as,

when should I retire? should I retire in Detroit or Denver? should I invest in Apple or Blackberry? is it a good idea to marry that stripper? At times the best we do is throw educated guesses at some issues, the more accumulated knowledge we can amass (in this case a forum) the better of educated guess one can make.

Aerodynamic additions to our RV's are relatively low cost when one compares the cost of fuel over the RV's lifespan or the initial purchase price. I have under 100$ invested in my air deflector.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Altern wrote:
The purpose of air tabs on an aircraft is to improve slow flight handling and reduce stall speed.
My understanding is that this is accomplished by the generated vortices maintaining a sort of psudo-laminar flow, thus maintaining airflow over the wing at a lower speed.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
BCbigfoot: disclaimer: I'm not an aeronautical engineer - there's every chance I don't know wtf I'm talking about.

The airtabs would have to create a row of vortices with a length and direction such that the 'sheet' of vortices would "fly over" the stuff on the roof trapping bubble of low pressure air up there (lol - which would theoretically unload your suspension a little). There's a lot of variables - do the airtabs actually make a strong vortex? at what speed? how long are they? what's the ideal placement of them? would the air you'r moving thru push the vortices down into the roof projections and make things worse? if so, at what speed do you change from 'beneficial' to 'detrimental'? and on and on.

But qualitatively, it makes sense - I guess it could work. Short of having a scale model for wind tunnel tests, or a buddy who's an aerodynamicist with $10,000 modeling software, stuff like this is all down to educated guessing - trial and error.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
Their purpose on a metal box with attached a/c's, vents, antenna's etc seems ill defined at best. So far it looks like "lets stick 'em on & see what we get".
Without repeatable data based upon identical or nearly so configurations their value cannot be anything other than costly subjective hearsay.
YMMV
Good luck

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Steve68 for the explanation of how air airtabs, helps me to visualize their effects.

I would like to streamline the aerodynamic mess on the roof of my camper and was wondering how Airtabs might work on my camper if I ran a horizontal line of them approx. where the camper clearance lights are. All constructive opinions and ideas would be appreciated. I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking.

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
Those are called "vortex generators". Aircraft often employ them:

If you have a sunroof, you probably have a sawtooth or castellated edge that flips up at the front of the opening, too - without it, turbulence would create an annoying, pulsing, "thud" as you drove at speed. Same thing - a vortex generator.

A vortex generator puts energy into the airstream, causing the trailing air to "spiral" (a vortex). Since it has more energy and is spiraling, the air can't/ won't devolve into a turbulent mess, creating drag BEHIND the surface - it will flow/ spiral PAST the trailing surface, only becoming turbulent when the vortex energy dissipates much further back.

So the idea is that you're creating a smoother airflow over surfaces and past trailing edges, which creates less turbulence behind them.

I'm really interested to hear what the OP finds - putting vortex generator on the underside of a TC cabover seems like it would generate vortices aimed right at the vertical front wall of the camper - a worst-case scenario, aerodynamically.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
I hope they work well. I can't say I like the looks of them.

My first thought was to paint them to look like sharks teeth.:)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Art_Schlangen
Explorer
Explorer
They were only 2.85 a piece. I bought them here in Indy so no shipment. They are recommended for the rear side of a trailer or cab of a truck. I wanted to try to reduce the bugs also the wind noise in the cab. Some of you guys had spoilers, I wanted something different they do look kinda cool on the camper. They recommend 3 per foot, my Northern Lite is 8 across I did not want them to interfere with my clearance light on the truck so they are just behind the lights. I'm going to the Ohio rally tomorrow, then a big trip in July so I should have the data and share it with everyone.

Bobndot The guy I got these from has several trucks in his fleet and does safe a small about of fuel. Also he had a costumer with a large goose neck trailer and he stated the trailer handles a lot better in truck traffic and cross winds. Thanks for all the interest... ART