cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heater blower and battery

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Now that its cooling off we can camp and not need hookup for a/c. But, we do need electric for the heater blower. Would this run off a battery? I was thinking if we got a battery we could run the blower and lights off of it. Is this what y'all do?
11 REPLIES 11

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
There are battery boxes called strong boxes that are made for all battery types and also for pairs of different types that are sealed and have a vent tube that hookes up to the exterior .Using regular rv type vent hose and outside wall plates , like you find in 5th`s in the basement , you can put one in the under dinette storage area if you want a battery more than storage.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
The Palomino B1200 we use to have didn't have a battery location so I put a battery box with type 27 battery in the front wheel well (fit through the little door) and made a cable up to plug into battery. I never wired it to the truck I just charged it when I had a chance but could have.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could look at the Torklift hidden battery.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to be stranded. lol

Maybe we will just get a generator.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup.

From the factory, there is no house battery on the B1500, at least there wasn't in 2000.

Unfortunately, there is no good place to put a battery. It needs to be vented and separated from the interior unless you use expensive sealed batteries.

The only place like that is the propane compartment, and even though there are electrical wires running through for the tail lights, people poo-poo the idea swapping one of the tanks for a house battery.

I think the newer ones have batteries now, but I'm not sure when that started.

The furnace is 12V. If you have 12V power when the camper is plugged into the truck, the furnace will run.

However, remember that you are drawing off your truck's starter battery!!! Do that too much and you will be STRANDED.

In my case, I usually have my enclosed trailer hooked up when I'm camping. My house batteries are in the trailer.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
TraciK wrote:
There is no battery or if there is we don't see it. thanks for the help!

You have a Palomino b1500, right? According to this thread by Mkirsch, the earlier models didn't have a battery. The Palomino website shows a vented battery box as an option.

Yes, that is what we have.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
TraciK wrote:

You have a Palomino b1500, right? According to this thread by Mkirsch, the earlier models didn't have a battery. The Palomino website shows a vented battery box as an option.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Furnace blower does run off of 12V. Question is why don't you have a battery in your TC?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
TraciK wrote:
... I was thinking if we got a battery we could run the blower and lights off of it.

Do you imply that there is not a house battery? Most TC's have at least one... how long you can run a heater blower (which take a lot of power compared to other components) depends on many factors such as how much volume of camper you need to heat, how warm and often the blower runs, how many batteries or other sources of power you have... but yes, a house battery will allow you to camp off the grid in comfort to run the interior components except for AC and MW.

Here are some good information articles that can get you up and running for your needs:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12 volt Side of Life (Part 2)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The RV furnace runs completely off propane and 12V DC power from battery.......no AC power needed.
Just propane and good charged battery
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31