cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska advice

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever went to Alaska by way of a ferry from Washington state, if so where did you board the ferry at, and where did you disembark. Is there any Canadian customs, if you go by way of a ferry? Would like to do the Alcan highway, but leaving in October roads might be unknown condition I know it is late in the year but we are going to support a dear one that is on a military base there. Thanks for your help sincerely
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
32 REPLIES 32

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
in 2001 we went to Alaska via the Cassiar highway following snow plows into whistler then up the Alcan and pulled into NorthPole & Fairbanks Dec 24 stayed in the American legion parking lot temp -24 best trip we've ever taken !!! We were in a brand new purchased just for the trip Bigfoot 1011 3000 series . We have only taken the Alaska ferries on several other trips, twice & we landed in Canada and headed home and no real problems from Canadian officials but USA border bureaucrats hassled me because they couldn't/wouldn't believe I had documented permission from Canada to transport a M1 carbine.
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Reality Check wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Summer. Staying through the summer is what he alluded to I believe.
Wintering over in a TC would be a high adventure/survival experience, not even remotely "normal" living accommodations. Whether the OP is in ANC or FBKS, which he hasn't specified.

See, I'm not even sure now. I think they're talking about leaving in October... summer is over in the Alaska I know (which is really, really, trivial comparatively to many).

I think you gave good advice, but then, I don't have thin skin, lol.

Dang man, you shoulda bet me a beer! You were right! PS leaving work now can be in NB in 20 min and I'll buy you one anyway!

Se I woulda swore that "goin to support a dear one" or ill friend or whatever he said wasn't an activity that could be postponed for like 5 months....generally when I'm called on for a need, it's not a take your time, sometime in the future maybe, need. So my bad.

And apparently they want to take their camper for NEXT year.

Well, best wishes and next time just look up the sailing schedules for the ferries....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I only asked if anyone had took a ferry from the lower states to Alaska. And where did anyone embark and disembark, and if so is there any Canadian customs . Maybe that is easier questions and not cryptic. All options are open and yes we already have a house to winter in Alaska. Thanks for the information I have already got. We are not spyโ€™s or James Bond just wanted to know the experience of using the ferry boats.
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible to stay in a camper in the cold. I have done it down to -30 not the most comfortable but as long as you have access to a bathroom it is do able. You also go through propane to the tune of one tank every three days, if you are careful. In Oct it won't be anywhere near that cold even way up north. I use my camper more in the winter than in the summer. Yes I do it in Alaska though it is Southeast so no where as cold as up north but we did have -6 this last winter.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So youโ€™re ferrying up and then staying the winter?
Or leaving the camper down here and staying in a house up there, until or thru winter?
Not that itโ€™s any of my business but then again, I didnโ€™t ask the cryptic questions or post my cryptic plans and Iโ€™m intriguedโ€ฆ

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
We have already left heading west the T/C will be winterized and we will stay in a house which Alaska has a few more of than igloos. Thanks for advice on the ferryโ€™s that was all I needed was to here from someone who has made the journey that way thank you and that is all I have to say about that

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the question. You will have to travel the whole way by ferry unless you can talk the border into agreeing that it is essential travel. That means you only have the Kennikot to ride unless you want to lay over in Juneau or Ketchikan to get it. The Ken only goes every other week. I know it was going northbound fairly full a couple of weeks ago. You no longer need a COVID test to ride it but mask are required everywhere but your room. It may or may not be running in Oct as the schedule hasn't come out. It looks like the border may open to vaccinated indivuals in early July but I wouldn't count on it.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
PS, Iโ€™d like to leave now for AK and come back never!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Reality Check wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Wintering over in a TC would be a high adventure/survival experience, not even remotely "normal" living accommodations. Whether the OP is in ANC or FBKS, which he hasn't specified.

See, I'm not even sure now. I think they're talking about leaving in October... summer is over in the Alaska I know (which is really, really, trivial comparatively to many).

Thanks! I triedโ€ฆ
I sometimes forget seems a lot of folks just like to pontificate or only hear what they want to hear.
Knowing now, I think, OP wants to head up now and come back in October, he has few options. And actually hasnโ€™t even responded appropriately to make me (us) think that heโ€™s doing more than the pontification stage.

Bedlam
There was talk about borders opening this week, but it was pushed out another month with no guarantees.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
devildog1971 wrote:
Wish people would read the entire question going up staying through summer we have a loved one whose husband is on a military base and she is ill and needs help. Wanted to know my options people read what they want to into a question. Asked for help from someone who may have done this before, if I were well informed why ask I have answered many questions on this forum. Now I know why many never come back

I did read the entire question. It doesn't mention staying through the winter. It does imply a lack of knowledge on the basics, so I think you got a wealth of information and common sense direction in an attempt to help. I don't understand the attack for the responses.

So, if I understand this correctly, you need the rig to stay in over the winter near the base while tending for your friend. Incredibly generous and heartfelt. Good luck for sure.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
devildog1971 wrote:
Wish people would read the entire question going up staying through summer we have a loved one whose husband is on a military base and she is ill and needs help.

Sorry that I donโ€™t have experience with it, but as others have said, you will have to take a ferry if Canada doesnโ€™t open up.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member