cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

All battery/electric bus fleet

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
On Thursdays Wichita KS will convert it's bus fleet to all battery/electric bus fleet. With set routes and know range I think this is a wise use of a electric vehicle.
32 REPLIES 32

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Simple solution... Turn the heat off.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Inductive charging, while not 100% efficient, isn't that bad (around 80%) and arguably it makes up for the minor losses it incurs with increased safety. There are conveyances right now that use this method and I suspect you will see more of it in the future.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would it have to be inductive charging? Could a buss bar make contact to the bus? If at a stop there was a large battery as large as the battery of the bus, and when fully charged had a voltage say 10% higher than the bus battery, and a pair of large bars made contact. I know good jumper cables can add voltage to a mostly discharged 12V battery pretty fast. The stationary battery could be recharged while the bus is gone.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Chinese batteries? :B No all electric transit buses around these parts, a mix of diesel, CNG, & CNG hybrids.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Inductive charging at some stops would work. However, that does take time to install.

Inductive charging is VERY inefficient...worse yet if the distance between primary and secondary coils are far apart

Then the weight and space of the secondary on the vehicle might be a problem, but bus...so might be okay in that app

Frequency management is another issue to be solved for moving vehicle vs stationary vehicle

Then all RFID components (credit cards, ID cards, dog/cat chips, etc) will all power up and broad cast their info..

The losses and system on small devices is acceptable, but not so for EV,BEV level of power requirements
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Inductive charging at some stops would work. However, that does take time to install.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Neither program has lost money that I know of. Sure they may need to break out the diesels again when conditions require it. That alone does not make the project a failure. The world is not that perfect.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You can fix anything with enough tax payer dollars.

Second best reply of the year......:h
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Fear of failure and setbacks holds too many people down in life.
Try learning to play guitar. That'll teach you about setbacks.
Did that long ago. Never found the art of making music. Was just mechanical repetition to me.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Indianapolis just did this, and when weather got cold, they failed.
Good luck!

Edit:
I just checked, the article is till out there. Click here.

Another... Good luck!

50 degrees is cold? Seriously?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Fear of failure and setbacks holds too many people down in life.
Try learning to play guitar. That'll teach you about setbacks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Best way to gain knowledge is to get out there are do the impossible. Fear of failure and setbacks holds too many people down in life.
Sounds good, but are you willing to foot the bill when cities do a lousy job because they basically have little accountability?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
its
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You can fix anything with enough tax payer dollars.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
LanceRKeys wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Best way to gain knowledge is to get out there are do the impossible. Fear of failure and setbacks holds too many people down in life.

Reply of the year.

That sounds great when it comes to one person and I'll agree.

Not so much when as taxpayers, multiple people are paying for any "failures".

I don't feel like cities do their research or make prudent decisions much anymore.