Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alrighty gents... and a few ladies... looking at an 09 F350

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am looking hard at this truck, drove it yesterday. It seems great.

what's the skinny on the 6.4L ?

http://antelopevalleylincoln.com/Los-Angeles/For-Sale/Used/Ford/F-350/2009-Truck/28949569/
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun
74 REPLIES 74

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
m4reel wrote:
Wait... I'm confused. I thought this thread was about the 6.4. I didn't think the 6.4 had a Bosch system. I thought it was the Siemens 2 point high pressure system. Am I wrong?

You're correct. But the Siemens pumps had lots of failures just like the CP4's. It also took out the whole fuel system just like the CP4's.

Just Google 6.4 HPFP failure and read, read, read...........
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

m4reel
Explorer
Explorer
Wait... I'm confused. I thought this thread was about the 6.4. I didn't think the 6.4 had a Bosch system. I thought it was the Siemens 2 point high pressure system. Am I wrong?
2013 Komfort Trailblazer
2009 F350 CCLB 6.4 Powerstroke 4x4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Didn't read all 8 pages, but regarding the 6.4.... Ferd only made them for 3 years. That should be a dead giveaway right there. At lead the 6.7 is going on year #4 now with better reliability.
All trucks are awesome and all are a PoS. Just depends which ones are a PoS less days than the others.
Just put $2200 worth of new injectors in my Cummins with only 120k mi on it and I changed the fuel filter EVERY oil change. Big difference is I got new, not reman, 60 hp injectors AND a 2 micron filter setup for less than $2500 shipped to AK and could do the work in my garage in one day vs the $5k injector jobs I hear about on the Strokes. Oh and a valve adjustment for free before I buttoned it back up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Ninerbikes if they do replace the pump are they upgraded? Thanks for you info. I should have said I could get bio but probably won't go to the trouble but who knows maybe I will change my view on that.

If your 2011 pump goes south, then yes, you will get the most current updated version of Bosch HPFP, with the latest goodies on it. Does it mitigate or solve the problem of bad initial design? Hard to say, Bosch is using every one of us as a beta tester.

Let's see how bad Gen 1 is when Bosch comes out with the CP 5.1 and 5.2 family of HPFP, and how long it takes before they cr*p out.

Can you be more specific about "what the latest goodies" entail!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fordlover wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I guess my question would be why take a chance with anything after the 7.3 when there are two other brands that mostly have things ironed out and do stand behind their product.

Because the other two don't come with a never break down guarantee. When I drive by the Chrysler and GM service bays, I notice they are just as busy as the ford garage. No starving techs... now, if I was looking for a diesel, the rep of the cp4 would be on my mind, no doubt..

No no TV comes with a never break guarantee, but Ford seems to have issues bigger than GM with the Bosch HPFP 4.+ fuel pump. Keep in mind that Cummins still uses the 3.x HPFP.
I think if I owned a a GM or Ford with the 4.X+ HPFP I would be installing an after market filter and water separator, so what if Ford says that it will void the fuel system warranty Ford doesn't cover that anyway.

I have a Cummins Gen2 with a Bosch VP44 (AKA VP$$), I installed an aftermarket lift pump that supplies the necessary fuel pressure to protect the VP44. I also use a lubricity additive to help.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Meanwhile back at the ranch, my 6.8L gasoline engine keeps purring along. I never got caught up in the diesel fervor.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Ninerbikes if they do replace the pump are they upgraded? Thanks for you info. I should have said I could get bio but probably won't go to the trouble but who knows maybe I will change my view on that.

If your 2011 pump goes south, then yes, you will get the most current updated version of Bosch HPFP, with the latest goodies on it. Does it mitigate or solve the problem of bad initial design? Hard to say, Bosch is using every one of us as a beta tester.

Let's see how bad Gen 1 is when Bosch comes out with the CP 5.1 and 5.2 family of HPFP, and how long it takes before they cr*p out.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
When human lives get lost and someone gets killed by a failed HPFP... the lawyers are going to have a field day with Robert Bosch with offering a HPFP that was not "fit and suitable for use" on north American D975 520 wear scar micron fuel. It's called fraud. Their pump requrements demand 460 micron fuel, America's fuel is 520 micron wear scar, not enough lubricity, yet they still brought the pump to market here in the USA, knowing the lack of lubricity in our fuel.

You've said this for how many years? It hasn't happened yet.

One could have said the same thing for the 6.0. Look how many complaints were made over that piece of junk. Nothing done. Nothing.

I remember years ago people were saying they were sure Ford was going to do the right thing and give them their money back on the hunk of junk 6.0 Ford sold them. They are still waiting..........and waiting........and waiting............................. Ford didn't need to do anything about it. Why? Because most bought a new 6.4 and got burned again!!!!!! And they had junk pumps too!!! LOL, Why do anything with customers like that?

I'm sure some will put on their grave stone: "Please give my family the money I never lived to see." :B

BTW, you might not like Bosch's products but guess what? What brand of fuel system does every modern diesel manufacture use? :B Much like Microsoft. :B

BTW, BTW, I'm not criticizing you for being pissed about the pump issue. Good for you for saying these pumps are junk, they are. It's just that IMHO it's not going to go anywhere. At lease you get good exercise.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I guess my question would be why take a chance with anything after the 7.3 when there are two other brands that mostly have things ironed out and do stand behind their product.

Because the other two don't come with a never break down guarantee. When I drive by the Chrysler and GM service bays, I notice they are just as busy as the ford garage. No starving techs... now, if I was looking for a diesel, the rep of the cp4 would be on my mind, no doubt..
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
ninerbikes I answered your survey so what did you come up with. Do they replace the old pump with a new improved pump if there is problem? What do you think of stanadyne?

You drive through Denver going to the Rockies? There's numerous places in Denver to buy 10 gallons of biodiesel before you tow up the grade. Do a google search in Denver, CO for biodiesel, One near Commerce City, one near Aurora, CO

I'd keep your truck.
I'd slow down to 55- 57 in that 20 mph headwind.
I'd run biodiesel blend, however you have to get it, in the summer, and any time you tow in temps above 80F. Even if you only add a quart every 24 gallons, it helps tremendously with lubricity in your fuel.

I can't comment on Stanydyne additive. I can say that Power Service Power Kleen white bottle additive, the 96 oz size at Wal Mart, will keep your fuel dry. Put in 8 ounces every fill up, to keep condensation out of your fuel tank, and keep your fuel tank full, as much as possible when you are storing the truck a lot without doing much driving.

Never run your fuel tank gauge below 1/4 tank, that HPFP uses the fuel as coolant, you need fuel as coolant, and 1/4 tank of fuel is the minimum acceptable level of coolant for your HPFP.

I'd run that motor in a gear going up the grades like I-70 where you can always accelerate in a healthy manner, no matter how steep, if you add in more throttle at the pedal. If you can't accelerate in the gear you are in, drop it down gears, until you can, and slow down. Somewhere on that motor, while trailering, on the torque band, is a sweet spot, where the motor makes enough torque, enough horsepower, that you aren't marginalizing the whole powertrain system. Find it, and live within it's means. Diesels are very good about letting you know when you are working them, and when you are overworking them, let your tach and how the throttle responds to added input be your guide. If you get nothing or not enough from added input, you're not where you need to be speed wise, gear wise, and load wise. Downshift and slow down. Let the motor work at a range it's comfortable with, not at a death rate.

If you lose a HPFP, Chevy GMC will take care of you. File the online complaint with NHTSA, just to be safe, and to help NHTSA keep complete records on this issue with this Bosch fuel pump design. They sold all of us a Bill of Goods, they deserve what they have coming to them in warranty claims.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
ninerbikes I answered your survey so what did you come up with. Do they replace the old pump with a new improved pump if there is problem? What do you think of stanadyne?
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I've never claimed that Bosch was going to do something about this.

You said "NHTSA" was going to do something way back then. You seem like you think they still will.

I said way back then "no they won't" and still say they won't.

How long are we going to have to wait until the NHTSA does something?

Bottom line is: First gen Bosch pumps are junk just like first gen Bosch LB7 injectors. That was a 5 grand job.
Did NHTSA do anything about first gen LB7 Bosch injectors? Nope. Did they do anything about 6.0 diesels? Nope. Are they going to do anything about first gen CP4 pumps? NOPE!!

Jump up and down all you want about this pump issue. It's good exercise. :B

As long as the case at NHTSA remains open, and NHTSA keeps holding Ford, Chevy, GMC and whoever's feet to the fire, I am good with it. The file case is still open, after 5 years. Vw and Audi keep on fixing them... and folks keep filing complaints to NHTSA, so that wheel keeps on squeaking, and VW keeps on having to grease it.

Bosch keeps eating it too, on all those pumps. I view Robert Bosch as the Lucas "prince of darkness" for german sector cars. They've been making failure prone junk******for MAF's since 1998 in Vw product, falure prone condenser packs per spark plug in 1.8T Turbo's for ever, and on, and on, and on.

When human lives get lost and someone gets killed by a failed HPFP... the lawyers are going to have a field day with Robert Bosch with offering a HPFP that was not "fit and suitable for use" on north American D975 520 wear scar micron fuel. It's called fraud. Their pump requrements demand 460 micron fuel, America's fuel is 520 micron wear scar, not enough lubricity, yet they still brought the pump to market here in the USA, knowing the lack of lubricity in our fuel.

There will never be a recall. I hear there are folks that are wrecking their pumps just before going out of warranty, to get the newer updated version, instead of the 1st generation pump sitting in their vehicle.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I've never claimed that Bosch was going to do something about this.

You said "NHTSA" was going to do something way back then. You seem like you think they still will.

I said way back then "no they won't" and still say they won't.

How long are we going to have to wait until the NHTSA does something?

Bottom line is: First gen Bosch pumps are junk just like first gen Bosch LB7 injectors. That was a 5 grand job.
Did NHTSA do anything about first gen LB7 Bosch injectors? Nope. Did they do anything about 6.0 diesels? Nope. Are they going to do anything about first gen CP4 pumps? NOPE!!

Jump up and down all you want about this pump issue. It's good exercise. :B

outside the fire"