cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alternatives to free standing/perm, attchd shade structure?

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about ready to ditch my HEAVY, EZ-UP shade structure that I carry with me on my trips. It's just too heavy and is only water resistant.

I've looked at some of the lighter ones like the wings and the shock-corded ones but have nixed most due to either poor construction or extremely pricey.

I had this one idea but need help analyzing whether it is feasible and, if it is, how I would get the parts.

It goes like this. I'd love to find some thin, smooth "bolts" with a welded, washer-like base. The end of the "bolts" would have a hole drilled that a hitch pin could pass through.

With 3-4 of these adhered to each side of my camper roof, I could then attach a heavy duty, brown/silver tarp with grommets to these "bolts" and the hitch pins would keep the tarp in place.

On the ground side of the tarp, I'd go with 2-3 adjustable, tent poles with a thin, top post that would go through the grommets. These would, of course, have to be anchored to the ground with line and stakes.........but I am OK with that as we camp so infrequently on surfaces that would resist that.

The whole thing would probably cost less than 50 bucks and would probably weigh around 10-15 lbs. It would also roll up to a lot smaller than most other options.

Is this idea feasible? It would be pretty easy to drop the poles in a big wind and secure the tarp against the rig with chairs or an ice chest. Just leave the stakes in for when the wind passes. And those silver tarps ARE pretty waterproof.

I have an aluminum roof so I am intrigued by these new adhesives they are using to attach solar panel mounts to roofs.

The item I am having trouble locating are these "bolts" with the flat base and the hole for the hitch pins. I dont even know what to call these; hence the term "bolts" with the quotes.

Any suggestions on the design or where to secure these "bolts"?
19 REPLIES 19

cd4eac
Explorer
Explorer
I put a small dowel in the end of the conduit and placed a wood screw into that with the top of the screw sticking out about 3/4 of an inch, it goes through the grommet and I hook my stake rope over the screw, thereby holding the tarp on the conduit.
'99 F-250 SC 4X4 SB - Palomino Bronco B-1251 popup

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
cd4eac wrote:
I took an 8X10 tarp, attached 4 carabiners along the edge in the grommet holes, used 4 eye screws - stainless steel attached to the side of the camper near the top, used 2 lengths conduit for legs and attached a length of rope for tie downs, cost nearly $20 and works fine!

How did you attach the conduit to the tarp?

Camp__Forrest__
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you are looking for something inexpensive, waterproof, lightweight, and easy to set up. We have a simple 10'x10' canopy that we bought at Rite-Aid many years ago, but they still sell them for around $30 I think. It has a frame of aluminum poles and a plastic cover. When stored, it fits in a bag a little bigger than a folding camp chair, it weighs very little, and sets up in just a few minutes. You can stake it down in bad weather and it is 100% waterproof.
-2000 Chevy K3500 CC DRW 7.4L, Auto; 2000 Arctic Fox 1150 WB; 1999 Bayliner Capri 1800LS Outboard
-Air Lift bags, Torklift tie-downs, Superhitch w/48", Rancho RS9000X, K&N FIPK, MagnaFlow exhaust.

cd4eac
Explorer
Explorer
I took an 8X10 tarp, attached 4 carabiners along the edge in the grommet holes, used 4 eye screws - stainless steel attached to the side of the camper near the top, used 2 lengths conduit for legs and attached a length of rope for tie downs, cost nearly $20 and works fine!
'99 F-250 SC 4X4 SB - Palomino Bronco B-1251 popup

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
When I am at the beach, I am mostly dealing with wind and rust. that is why the simple design. Plastic poles and ropes to hold every thing tight.

Yes there is some pooling if it rains. I have been thinking of adding another pole next to the camper to help with this. I still have not found another design that suites my needs.

Thanks for your questions.
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
pezvela wrote:
Salty Dog, your setup looks like it would trap a lot of rain, no?

That's the cool thing about my somewhat more complicated design.

Like a "real" awning, you can angle one corner down so the rain can't pool up.

The PVC across the outer edge keeps the awning from flapping and lets you leave it deployed in most any weather, just like a "real" awning.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
pezvela wrote:
What are footman loops?

ask at amazon or ebay.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
delosholly wrote:
.. I am not sure if links are allowed, but: http://sport-brella.com/sport-brella-xl .

Del
Links are allowed.

Rules & Policies include:
You may include URLs or active links to commercial sites for the purpose of expanding on comments or providing additional information as part of regular forum interactions.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is not the exact same setup you are talking about, but I wanted to alert you to an alternative. We do not use a tarp or awning, we use a very light weight 9foot wide SportBrella.

We can use this over our two recliners or place it next to a picnic table (to cover 1/2 the table) or when the slots in a picnic table are wide enough apart, we can place the SportBrella in the middle of the table and it is all covered. We do carry a heavy, probably overkill, umbrella stand that we already owned to hold the SportBrella in place.

It is more versatile than something attached to the TC, especially since many campgrounds have the picnic table bolted down and not in a location where the TC can be close enough to them.

It only takes one person about 1 minute to set it up (unless you want to secure it better using the cords provided. I am not sure if links are allowed, but: http://sport-brella.com/sport-brella-xl .

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
Salty Dog, your setup looks like it would trap a lot of rain, no?

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
What are footman loops?

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Consider using footman loops and short, ball bungies to attach the tarp grommets to the side of your TC.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
You all are making it to complicated.

I tied the tarp to the ladder in back and the bracket for the struts off the front. I used 2" pvc pipe for the post and 3/8" rope to tie every thing down. The tarp is from wally world and I have been through 3 of them. it holds most of the time. When I need to lower it no problem. Loosen the ropes and lay it against the truck.

I can put it up by myself. simple and very cool in August on the beach. Because of me not able to bend over very well, I started using the cheep surf rod holders made from rebar. long and a lot easier.

this is the best picture I have on photobucket.

ps. the surf rod holders are for the tent spikes I was using.
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
pezvela wrote:
Any suggestions on the design or where to secure these "bolts"?

Are you talking about clevis pins?

Yes, I guess I am but would like one with a much wider base/head than the ones shown in your example page.