cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ambient Temp Sensor Troubleshooting

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Right up front, this is not an RV related question, but I know there's tremendous vehicle knowledge and experience to be had here.

We have a 2012 Ford Fusion that doesn't know the outside temperature and thus is unable to heat/cool the inside properly. The temp display will sometimes be accurate briefly, but will soon start drifting downward, eventually bottoming out way below zero, before wandering back upward some. It goes all over the place. Internet research indicated that I should replace the ambient temp sensor, which I did, twice. The sensor I replaced is behind the front bumper and fascia. Is there another sensor? Could a bad fuse cause that behavior? I'm getting ready to remove it all together to see if there's any difference.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
10 REPLIES 10

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Lol. No mechanic work in the winter?
Damned straight!

My garage is too small to close the doors and have room to work, and I don't need the A/C just yet. Besides, it's my wife's car. :B
2015 Ram 1500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the research and feedback. Those items are the cabin air temp sensors.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the ambient temp sensor that displays the outside temp and provides input to the HVAC system.
2015 Ram 1500

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You might want to look at Rockauto.com as they list two!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2012,fusion,3.0l+v6,3015604,heat+&+air+conditioning,cabin+a...

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol. No mechanic work in the winter?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
So... I've learned that there is only one sensor and it's the one I changed. I've also learned that it's semi-common for the wiring to this sensor to get damaged if there is even minor front damage. When this happened, my wife had hit a snow berm.

Also, this sensor absolutely does influence the HVAC system. In the winter it's not too bad, you can always get heat, usually too much, but you can deal with that by cracking a window.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find the damaged wiring once I get going on it, likely next spring.
2015 Ram 1500

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand this correctly you have two problems. The first is that the outside temperature does not display correctly. I would agree that this is likely related to the ambient temperature sensor in front. However, there is almost certainly a separate sensor that measures the interior car temperature. Fixing the outside temp sensor probably would not fix the HVAC problem. Just my opinion I don't know for sure

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks. I'll do some more research.
2015 Ram 1500

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some cars have 2 sensors, one behind the grille and the other in an outside door mounted mirror.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ae5573t
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem and like you I replaced the ambient temperature sensor. It didn't fix the problem. I had to replace the ambient temperature sensor connector. That is what fixed my problem.
2018 Thor Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There should be two. You replaced the one for the engine control and not the heating/cooling system.
My Chrysler has the passenger comparment sensor internal to the temperature control unit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker