cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the GM hit's just keep on coming!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
General Motors has discovered a problem with the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8s fitted to certain versions of the Cadillac CTS-V and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The affected models are all 2009-2013 CTS-Vs and all 2012-2013 Camaro ZL1s.
Link
up side is "Owners also receive a Special Coverage Adjustment for the problem. This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle is sent in to receive the new supercharger, regardless of ownership."

At least they are fixing the issues, maybe better or longer RD? This idea of trying to be first to the market is killing them. Who wants to be a free beta tester for a product that cost $20,000 to $70,000?

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
47 REPLIES 47

catfishmontana
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:
this is totally a "bash GM thread". But it's also posted in the "Tow Vehicle" section.

When comparing GM (Duramax / Allison & GM) with brands D & F and when you look at the problems and the factory treatment for the respective brands, most here would say GM has been the best when coupling reliability and factory support for design problems.

It just looks like some of the folks here are trying to rationalize some of their product shorting-comings by pointing at GM.

Even for these hi-po supercharged engines in the Camaro and Caddie, GM appears to be making a good faith effort to keep them going to 120k miles. I don't know who among us owns a 600 hp supercharged car but I doubt many would make them a daily driver and put 120k miles on them. I was looking at the Camaro & Mustangs and thought the 1LE (SS) would be a nice ride but there was no way I even considered a supercharged Camaro. Just a little common sense but I would think that a 600 hp supercharged car might require a little more than oil changes. I wonder how the maintenance costs compares to a Ferrari or turbo Porsche? Or a Shelby supercharged Mustang?

I know a few people that daily drive supercharged cars. I don't daily drive my 2014 Shelby, but about maintenance .....it is just oil changes.....oh and rear tires. The only other thing I like to do to both of my factory supercharged cars is check the plugs every couple thousand miles and change them out every 10,000. Other than that, it's just like any other car.
2016 F350 Platinum Dually, CC
2014 Cyclone 3800 toyhauler
B&W Companion 20K

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
this is totally a "bash GM thread". But it's also posted in the "Tow Vehicle" section.

When comparing GM (Duramax / Allison & GM) with brands D & F and when you look at the problems and the factory treatment for the respective brands, most here would say GM has been the best when coupling reliability and factory support for design problems.

It just looks like some of the folks here are trying to rationalize some of their product shorting-comings by pointing at GM.

Even for these hi-po supercharged engines in the Camaro and Caddie, GM appears to be making a good faith effort to keep them going to 120k miles. I don't know who among us owns a 600 hp supercharged car but I doubt many would make them a daily driver and put 120k miles on them. I was looking at the Camaro & Mustangs and thought the 1LE (SS) would be a nice ride but there was no way I even considered a supercharged Camaro. Just a little common sense but I would think that a 600 hp supercharged car might require a little more than oil changes. I wonder how the maintenance costs compares to a Ferrari or turbo Porsche? Or a Shelby supercharged Mustang?
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
coolbreeze01 wrote:
And that's that.

6/5/14

"WARREN, Mich. (AP) — General Motors said Thursday that it has forced out 15 employees for their role in the deadly ignition-switch scandal and will set up a compensation fund for crash victims, as an internal investigation blamed the debacle on engineering ignorance and bureaucratic dithering, not a deliberate cover-up."

A few scapegoats, hardly the crux of the matter. GM's own internal investigation found "No cover up". Wow that was hard to predict. It will be interesting to see what the juries in the lawsuits have to say about GM's complicity in a cover up if any of them ever make it to trial. I think GM is hoping they have enough cash to keep these away from a jury.

They do have 30 billion cash on hand. Ken Feinberg, the 'auto czar' from the Obama administration that steered GM and Chrysler through their reorganizations was appointed by Mary Barra to oversee the compensation fund which has been termed by her to be 'open ended'.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
And that's that.

6/5/14

"WARREN, Mich. (AP) — General Motors said Thursday that it has forced out 15 employees for their role in the deadly ignition-switch scandal and will set up a compensation fund for crash victims, as an internal investigation blamed the debacle on engineering ignorance and bureaucratic dithering, not a deliberate cover-up."

A few scapegoats, hardly the crux of the matter. GM's own internal investigation found "No cover up". Wow that was hard to predict. It will be interesting to see what the juries in the lawsuits have to say about GM's complicity in a cover up if any of them ever make it to trial. I think GM is hoping they have enough cash to keep these away from a jury.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
And that's that.

6/5/14

Wonder why Mary Barra, GM CEO didn't write her own pink slip. She was also singing the "I didn't know until January" song, not to mention she was at one time a VP in Global Engineering.

That open ended compensation fund is gonna hurt...............

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Unlike the Toyota the Ford can quickly be thrown into neutral and stopped, but nice try. BTW EVERY diesel engine can have this happen no matter the flavor.

Really? Why can't the Toyota be put in neutral?

Still waiting for the answer Donnie boy...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
And that's that.

6/5/14

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Hay for all you slow kids, this did not start off as a bash GM to bad you boys can't stand it when someone posts yet another GM recall. Funny how guys that never post show up to try and throw mud (that would be you nutz). I posted Chryslers screw up, that cost 37 people their lives Nutz. The differnce is Chrysler never tried to cover it up!

Funny you just can't get the fact the GMC has a track record at doing this. Post any link that shows one death related to the issues you posted Nutz. You are the one that should "try being honest once pom pom" Nutz.

BTW never one time have I said Chrysler or any other manufacture is immune from recalls! Just because I work for Chrysler does not mean I think they are perfect, we have had our problems, we just don't take 15 years to own up to them.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK first off this was not a slam on GM just posting yet another GM recall. Seems to be shaping up to be a bad year so far for GM.

But before you (LowRyter) go throwing Ford under the bus for how they handled their 6.0 customers (6.4 and some 6.7 also). You do know, none of those customers died as a result of Ford's lack of recalls!

Don

Don,

As another poster said, no manufacturer is immune to recalls.

I seem to recall the Ford Explorer situation, a number of years back. A number were having accidents. Ford said it was the tire make/model. Others said it was the Ford design, narrowness of the track, the low payload capability, etc.

I'm not an engineer and therefore could not venture an opinion on the cause, or for that matter any mechanical failure cause .

In the end every manufacturer...Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota...etc... has problems...some more serious than others....but eventually all will have serious issues.

There is a process that Federal governments and auto manufacturers use in North America to address these type of issues.

Some instances are handled quicker, some slower. As with many things in life there needs to be improvement. The notification and recall process is no different and I'm sure improvements will be made when the system is found wanting....as it is...every so often.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy seems to forget the 46RE tranny, the liftpump issues, the breaking frames from twisting in the trucks with the 5.9 12 valve Cummins, the death wobble fun and games, and I could cite more but don't want to overload his mind. Yes, many people were killed because of these hidden not recalled Chrysler Corp glossovers. Try being honest once pom pom DODGEBOY!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
I do think its relevant as all recalls are and GM has been on a roll. I won't speculate on the motivation of the OP. It is legit news as I am sure if it were Ford or Ram it would be posted also.

Most people don't care as it is part of doing business and they will get their vehicle fixed, but since you say it is relevant, her you go.

June 4th

2009-2012 Fusion, Escape, Milan, Mariner

May 29th

914,000 Escape and Explorers.

Ultimately ANY company that makes this many units will suffer recalls.

Posted two weeks ago, old news now
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
OK first off this was not a slam on GM just posting yet another GM recall. Seems to be shaping up to be a bad year so far for GM.

But before you (LowRyter) go throwing Ford under the bus for how they handled their 6.0 customers (6.4 and some 6.7 also). You do know, none of those customers died as a result of Ford's lack of recalls!

Don

and who died in a Camaro? ?? ?
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unlike the Toyota the Ford can quickly be thrown into neutral and stopped, but nice try. BTW EVERY diesel engine can have this happen no matter the flavor.

Really? Why can't the Toyota be put in neutral?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
CTS V is one of the best cars I have ever driven- it is an absolute joy and puts an immediate smile on my face.

It is also one of the scariest cars I have ever driven. I dare anyone to cruise along at 90 mph and then floor it without both hands on the wheel.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

buffalobore
Explorer
Explorer
General Motors has discovered a problem with the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8s fitted to certain versions of the Cadillac CTS-V and Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The affected models are all 2009-2013 CTS-Vs and all 2012-2013 Camaro ZL1s.
Link
up side is "Owners also receive a Special Coverage Adjustment for the problem. This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle is sent in to receive the new supercharger, regardless of ownership."

At least they are fixing the issues, maybe better or longer RD? This idea of trying to be first to the market is killing them. Who wants to be a free beta tester for a product that cost $20,000 to $70,000?

Don

Troll