cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying water leak/drip from drain tube

FED565
Explorer
Explorer
We have an older early 90's Jayco Eagle that has been a great trailer but I have had an annoying leak/drip coming from what I guess would be a drain tube from the back of the trailer (next to the sewage drain) when the water system is pressurized. We have had the trailer for over 5 years and it has always had this leak/drip but it has really gotten bad and wastes a lot of our water we take. I cannot trace it back as it is sealed where it exits from under the trailer. If the water system is pressurized it really leaks/drips good and if you open up the water faucets and un-pressurize the water system the drip from the tube pretty much stops.

I have asked numerous RV repair places about this and nobody seems to have any idea what could be causing this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Scott
11 REPLIES 11

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
FED565 wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped in finding my low drain valves. I finally found them next to the bed behind the side table door and hidden in a whole in the carpet. Both the hot and cold were partially open which was causing my drip.

I have asked numerous "RV repair professionals" on this issue and NONE of them could tell me even where to start looking.

Awesome forum.

And that is why I do my own repair work and frequent this site......
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

FED565
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped in finding my low drain valves. I finally found them next to the bed behind the side table door and hidden in a whole in the carpet. Both the hot and cold were partially open which was causing my drip.

I have asked numerous "RV repair professionals" on this issue and NONE of them could tell me even where to start looking.

Awesome forum.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Both of my low point drains are a devil to operate. The stem pops up to open and down to close but they are in an awkward place and one really has to lean on them to get them to close.
Try not only leaning on the handle but rotate it slightly as you push. It should `click' into place.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Neither of mine are capped, I have valves on the interior of the trailer that I open to drain and close otherwise. Perhaps he has a defective valve on that low point drain... Easy enough to put a fitting on the end and cap it as a fix..

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
No.. It should be caped all the time...opened only for winterizing.

To the OP ... be aware that when some say "capped" they're probably referring to a female threaded cap but these low point drains can instead be "capped" with a male threaded plug, as they are on my own trailer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
No.. It should be caped all the time...opened only for winterizing.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

FED565
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks guys for the information. This is more info than I have got in 4 plus years of asking around. I will go home tonight and look for this stuff. Is there any issue with putting a cap on that drain?

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Sure does sound like low point drains all right. The sharkbite fitting can be bought at hardware store and put on the pipe. Try opening and closing the existing valve and see if the leak stops(something on seal). It might be inside a cupboard right above the exposed lines if they are not exposed.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK...yes, we are talking about low point drains. One is the hot water and the other is cold water.

There should be a cap of some sort on the end of each. If not, inside your trailer, in a cabinet, under a bench, or behind a removable panel there will be valves that open and close these tubes.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

FED565
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if that is what they are. There are actually 2 of these tubes sticking out of the bottom of the trailer and only one is leaking. These are white plastic bendable tubing and not like plumbing PVC and probably 3/8 or 7/16 tubing.

Where would this Sharkbite valve be located? Is there a normal location for this?

Thanks for the response.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is what is leaking one of your low point drains?
If so, try putting a new cap on it or even a new Sharkbite valve.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro