cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ants in roof, tried everything need ideas

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
So every summer between June 1st and end of August I have a huge ant battle where I live. House was blasted into granite and backfilled with yards upon yards of bank run gravel. Seems to be a perfect locale for ants. Finally figured out my house solution but can't seem to keep them out of the camper. They seem to get in via the light in the cabinet next to the head (Lance vertical cabinet with slideout shelves. Never figured out where on the roof they enter from but I constantly have to deal with them in that cabinet. Good traps have kept the population low but they've got to be in the roof as I always have flakes of white (styrofoam insulation???) in that cabinet meaning they're still active between that light and the roof somewhere. I've tried fogging the entire camper, spraying up into that hole and keeping the deadliest traps I can find. I even put ant powder around jacks which is what keeps them out of my house but I think they must drop in from trees and there's trees everywhere on my property, mostly pines.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath
18 REPLIES 18

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
Couple of ideas;
Don't park the camper under trees.

Throw some of the ant killer down the stink pipe...we had this problem in our last camper.

Also; ants probably mean moisture. Start poking around for wet wood.

Good luck, Bill

This is very good advice.

I tried the Terro around my home and had to resort to something more potent. I got Amdro ant bait granules and sprinkled them around the foundation. Now this stuff is poisonous to children/pets. You could sprinkle it on the roof or put it in some type of covered container to keep it from scattering.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of ideas;
Don't park the camper under trees.

Throw some of the ant killer down the stink pipe...we had this problem in our last camper.

Also; ants probably mean moisture. Start poking around for wet wood.

Good luck, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the Terro liquid w/ honey!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Terro liquid mixed with honey. Place a few nickle sized blobs on pieces of foil and put them in the camper. If you go back in the camper the next day you will find literally thousands of the little buggars crawling around. You must resist the temptation to suck them up with a shop vac. They carry the poison back to the nest and in a few days you will find just a few dead ones. I had 3 infestations in my old TT and this worked like a charm each time.

Good Luck,
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne