cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ants in roof, tried everything need ideas

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
So every summer between June 1st and end of August I have a huge ant battle where I live. House was blasted into granite and backfilled with yards upon yards of bank run gravel. Seems to be a perfect locale for ants. Finally figured out my house solution but can't seem to keep them out of the camper. They seem to get in via the light in the cabinet next to the head (Lance vertical cabinet with slideout shelves. Never figured out where on the roof they enter from but I constantly have to deal with them in that cabinet. Good traps have kept the population low but they've got to be in the roof as I always have flakes of white (styrofoam insulation???) in that cabinet meaning they're still active between that light and the roof somewhere. I've tried fogging the entire camper, spraying up into that hole and keeping the deadliest traps I can find. I even put ant powder around jacks which is what keeps them out of my house but I think they must drop in from trees and there's trees everywhere on my property, mostly pines.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath
18 REPLIES 18

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
Question, what is Terro? With the dry conditions in NorCal ants swarm to any moisture source. A fresh dog turd is soon covered with them.

Terro for inside

Terro for outside
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Royals_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Terro, for sure! you have to kill the the queen....takes a few days just be patient it works!

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Question, what is Terro? With the dry conditions in NorCal ants swarm to any moisture source. A fresh dog turd is soon covered with them.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

ClassicB
Explorer
Explorer
I've had similar experience with ants. My solution was to get out the liquid ant spray (I can't recall the name) and in the beginning of May I spray the camper jack (feet) a few times a week though out the summer. No problems. Also, like someone said, keep the camper away from the low hanging branches.
------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 Lance 1010
1999 F250 PSD
6-SPD Manual
4X4

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Start wish a good washing of everything on the outside of the camper. Ants leave a scent trail that other ants will follow. Wash down your driveway too and the truck.

MKish
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be more equipped to handle the ants if you figure out what species they are. County/state agricultural extension offices can help with that and offer suggestions. Some ants won't touch particular baits due to their dietary preferences.

(Meanwhile I just learned that I might get a campsite where someone has sprinkled pesticides. Pesticides aren't only toxic to ants so it's a good idea to use them when there is actually a problem, like in OP's camper!)

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
once had a problem with carpenter ants they were coming in the fridge vent from alimb hanging in a tree

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also get up on the roof, seal every hole crack and crevice you see.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Terro - but also do a very close inspection for leaks and soft spots. I picked up a nest in my 5er after I got a roof leak.
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Would the grenade style bug killers work?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar problem. I removed all the food and baited with tero - took a while and had to repeat to get the next generation but RV has been ant free now for years.
Kevin

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
We sprinkle Seven Dust around campsites. They track it back to the hill so all can enjoy a last meal.

One primitive site that we use for a week, two times a year (Talladega), we no longer have any fire ants. We still sprinkle some dust just to keep it that way. Seven Dust is cheap and it works. Our winter spot in FL has a lot of ants but we keep them away from our trailer.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Couple of ideas;
Don't park the camper under trees.

Throw some of the ant killer down the stink pipe...we had this problem in our last camper.

Also; ants probably mean moisture. Start poking around for wet wood.

Good luck, Bill

Wish I had that option. My property is only 1/3 of an acre with a slope that drops 50' over that! I had to build a 4' retaining wall off the side of my driveway and fill it with crushed stone to simply have a safe place to unload the camper as the rest of the property and driveway are sloped far too much to take it off safely, I know I tried once and almost destroyed the camper and truck along with possibly hurting or killing myself. The only place I could build the wall is in front and it has tree cover from neighbors trees. I wanted to put soft carport over it but the town won't let me due to being in front of the house, lucky they let me park it there at all.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath