cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any info on this camper?

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, all! Haven't been on here in a while. We used to have a pop-up sold that went to travel trailer. Moved and bought 4 wheelers and can't haul both so sold tt and been tent camping. Ready for a camper again.

So, I saw an ad for a 1996 Idletime truck camper for $2000 its 8 ft it says refrig, ac, heat, small microwave, stove, titan jacks, and hold downs. No bathroom but will throw in a porto potty.

There are no pictures of inside but outside looks good.

We are going to try and go look at it today. I know to look for water damage but what else should be look for?

If its all in working condition is $2000 a good price?

Is a 1996 too old?

I don't want to spend too much because we only go 4 wheel riding about 4 times a year. But, I'm thinking we might go more if we had a camper.

Thanks for any help you can give!
16 REPLIES 16

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will wait for you.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
We went and looked at the TC today. The man was very nice. He said he just learned that it was a 93 not a 96. He had the ac and the refrig on and they worked good. It had a musky odor to it. It was in good condition I think to be that old, but it just wasn't for me. I'm going to keep looking.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
TraciK wrote:
Wayne, we actually want a used one to make sure its something we are going to use. If we love it, in a couple of years we will buy a newer used one.
I think this is an excellent approach. Consider the following approximate cost (if needed): new coil for fridge=$650, water heater replace=$250-$500, Furnace fan motor replace=$100, hydraulic jack rebuild kit=$50 each. The estimated cost do not include labor for install. These items are the most likely to fail with age.

Personally, I would not even consider the generator. I suggest a Yamaha or Honda, in the 2000 watt range. They are about $1000. You can take this set-up with you to your next RV. Depending on the existing A/C, you might need a 4000 watt (about) or two 2000 watt generators.

In all probability, you will have a 13000 btu A/C. Most of these require two 2000 watt generators (abt $1000 each), with a kit (about $250) to combine them (total about $2250 to $3000). You do have at least two other options for the A/C.

Option 1. Buy one 2000 watt plus Honda or Yamaha generator. Cost is pretty close to the same as two generators (about $2000?). The down side is one of these is pretty heavy for one person to lift. Two smaller 2000s are easier to lift. The two are easier to store, in cab or in TC. The bigger single generator not so easy.

Option 2. Buy one 2000 watt generator (abt $1000), and replace the existing A/C with a 9200 btu Polar Cub (about ($700). Total cost of about $1700, compared to the Option 1 total of about $2000. When you upgrade TCs, the new TC will probably have an oversize 1300 btu A/C. So, you can bring the 2000 watt generator and 9200 btu A/C to your new TC A/C.

My preference is the single Honda 2000, and the Polar Cub 9200 btu A/C. I have had this combination for over eight years, and would replace with the same pieces if needed. It has been a while since I tested it, but I think the Honda 2000 will run the A/C about 6 hours with one gallon of gas. I have added the extended fuel tank stuff, which allows me to use my 3 gallon boat fuel tank. This gives me 4 gallons of continuous fuel. I could use a 6-gallon boat tank.

This is how my Honda and fuel tank are set-up.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
bobndot wrote:
AS long as you really know what you are looking for appraising it. IMO, any tc thats been taken care of, not neglected , solid,clean and doesn't leak is a good camper. I would then buy it for $2k if it fit my truck as well as my needs.

X2. As to being too old, I sure hope not, mine is a 1988. It is really about condition, and your expectations. Lots of folks would only buy a new TC, then there are people like me that would only buy used.

Wayne

Like others have said, check the roof and signs of water damage.
As for too old? Ours is a 1966, so I would say no.
It's not about the age as much as it is the condition.

Good Luck,
Garry In Kodiak
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a generator before so can't help ya there. Please also know this is all only my opinion. I'm no expert, I just play one on the internet! 😉

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
TraciK wrote:
Dak, that is the one! It kind of looks like a newer a/c. I really don't care that much about the stove or refrig. I really wish it wasn't even in there to have more space. I just want a nice dry place to sleep with a/c.

I haven't called yet because I have a bad head cold and not feeling good right now.

We don't know anything about TC.....should we put it on our truck and make sure it fits and then we can try the lights out? We have a Dodge 2500 extended cab? with back doors lol and long bed, can't remember the year, somewhere around 2005.

If they have a truck can they plug it in at least to test? There should be no reason it would not fit your truck if it's a standard 8' bed. Personally, if all I wanted was a dry place to sleep I would find something more basic, as you are paying for things you won't need on this one. Are used campers hard to find back there? They are a dime a dozen out here! You could actually find what you appear to be looking for at a price under $1,000 here, though I know that doesn't do you much good. I still also think $2,000 is too much for that one (without seeing it in person.)

Dak

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
It also says in the ad that he has a 4000 Microguite generator for sale. I looked up the price of those new and around $3300 to $3500. It doesn't say what year or how much. I'm going to call him and ask. But, do these hold the value or should we buy a new one? It says it uses 1/2 gallon gas per hour. That seems like a lot. I was looking at Lowes and they have ones that say 4 gallons in 10 hours.

Any advise here?

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne, we actually want a used one to make sure its something we are going to use. If we love it, in a couple of years we will buy a newer used one.

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
Dak, that is the one! It kind of looks like a newer a/c. I really don't care that much about the stove or refrig. I really wish it wasn't even in there to have more space. I just want a nice dry place to sleep with a/c.

I haven't called yet because I have a bad head cold and not feeling good right now.

We don't know anything about TC.....should we put it on our truck and make sure it fits and then we can try the lights out? We have a Dodge 2500 extended cab? with back doors lol and long bed, can't remember the year, somewhere around 2005.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Idletime camper in Shreveport

Is this the one? Not sure of the price for that age and lack of bathroom and water heater. I paid $2,200 for my 96' Weekender 2 years ago (not knowing, of course about the roof!) Nada says around $1,530 for the Idletime, but of course that's just a "suggestion" Not sure what they base their prices on.

Dak

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
The year is less important than the condition. That said, as noted above, make sure before you buy that all the appliances work, check in all the cabinets and under the mattress for water damage or structural weakness, pressurize the water system, check for leaks, etc. Many of the same things you would look for in a TT. All the obvious stuff on the outside too. Is it currently on a truck? is so ask to have all the lights (exterior) turned on. Most campers at this point in time have both a ground and hot wire to each light (at least mine does) so grounding issues should not be a problem with exterior lights as they were for many years where they grounded directly to the skin of the camper. CHECK THE ROOF!!! I made the terrible mistake of not doing that in DETAIL, thinking that because the PO had just recoated it (rubber roof) it would be fine. I was unable to actually get on the roof to inspect in throughly. Many $$$ and a new roof later I now would be VERY vigilant in that. Corners/jack mounts are also very important to checkout. Structural issues can be the death to an older camper from water... In any event good luck with your progress returning to the TC world! Don't forget to post pics of your new rig when you get one! 🙂

Dak

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
AS long as you really know what you are looking for appraising it. IMO, any tc thats been taken care of, not neglected , solid,clean and doesn't leak is a good camper. I would then buy it for $2k if it fit my truck as well as my needs.

X2. As to being too old, I sure hope not, mine is a 1988. It is really about condition, and your expectations. Lots of folks would only buy a new TC, then there are people like me that would only buy used.

Wayne

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Google "1996 Idletime truck camper" and see several examples.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still a few photos for the 1996 Idle Time Truck Camper on google images... Take a look...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS