cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody ever connect an external battery?

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
The Lancer 880 only has room for one battery. I'm thinking of connecting a second one and using jumper cables to the main battery. Has anybody ever done this?
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
24 REPLIES 24

tbltony
Explorer
Explorer
I installed 2 size 31 deep cycle batteries in the bed of the truck when the camper is off they connect to the truck electrical system ,when the camper is on they connect into the camper battery. the truck connection connects to a relay and charges the 3 camper batteries .If would like a wiring diagram and pictures I will send them to you .anyone else who would like pictures can contact me at email tbltony.barra@gmail.com tblmarine electrical .

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You are right that using electronic colder with flux with it makes it easier.
Also most of the cables I am dealing with are older and have copper corroded, what require cleaning for good soldering.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Electrical solder has flux in it since you have a "Plumbers torch" maybe you are using plumbers solder. Never had a problem with solder connection like this I relocated a battery to the trunk of my Challenger almost 30 years ago with a connection like this and never had a problem with that connection. I changed these connectors on a few forklifts too this way and no problem.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Ralph's picture reminds me one technical option.
If you want reliable high-amperage 12V quick connection, use electric forklift plugs.
They come with couple of sizes and can be rated for 400 amps.
Basically idiot-proof in usage and silver-plated prongs last long time.
Crimping the connectors might be hard as it require special and expensive press, but what I was doing for my winch was hammering the end of connector flat, drilling a hole and using short bolt connecting a cable with eye connector on the end.
Brass or SS bolt makes it lifetime set.

require special and expensive press?? I always used solder in the past. I would hold the connector end vertically in a vise have wire stripped and ready. Heat the end with a propane torch and fill the hole with solder then just stick the wire in.

I've been soldering connectors as well, but I do have plumbers torch, that cost money as well.
Also from your description you did not clean and flux the wires in the cable. That will make for cold solder.

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Solder actually has pretty poor resistivity, and will add resistance and voltage drop to the connection. Hammer style crimpers can be inexpensive.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built a rack, actually had someone else weld it. Installed it under the passenger side wing of the Lance. Used 4ga marine grade cable and Anderson connector. The battery is a group 31 AGM mounted on it's side. I took a battery box and cut it so it would protect the battery from flying rocks and such. I have use this set up for about 6 six years. It being an AGM, I don't have to worry about water or ruff handling. I check the battery connections about once a year to make sure they are tight. That's it.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
If you want reliable high-amperage 12V quick connection, use electric forklift plugs.
Crimping the connectors might be hard as it require special and expensive press, but what I was doing for my winch was hammering the end of connector flat, drilling a hole and using short bolt connecting a cable with eye connector on the end.

require special and expensive press?? I always used solder in the past. I would hold the connector end vertically in a vise have wire stripped and ready. Heat the end with a propane torch and fill the hole with solder then just stick the wire in.

Terrick_down_Un
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for Ramblin' Ralph's idea, we have 2x100ah FIT batteries in the TC and one extra in the bed that uses the Anderson plugs with a double adaptor. While driving it connects the TC and extra battery to the second battery in the engine bay. This is all topped up by the 250amp alternator that we fitted. With all these DW and I get 5 days of camping without starting the generator.
The crossover switch in the engine bay means that we don't drain the cranking battery for starting.
All the cables are big and flexible, they take me ten minutes each to fit into the 50 amp connectors, then they get crimped and then they get soldered for good connection.
All these ideas come from this forum.....

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Did you have your axles weighted?
From what I learn about TC is the last thing you want on them is put heavy stuff in the rear and have front axle lifting off the ground as the result.

Believe me that isn't an issue with an older unit like this on a Dually. 50# more on the back will make no difference. This camper grosses at least 800# less than the Lance 981 I carried for nine years on the same truck. Yeh the battery will change the axle ratio slightly but not enough to notice. If it does I can always balance it with a couple of cases of beer in the back seat of the truck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Did you have your axles weighted?
From what I learn about TC is the last thing you want on them is put heavy stuff in the rear and have front axle lifting off the ground as the result.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just went to one of my local RV stores that I trust (Webb RV, Lakeside, CA.) The owner and I discussed numerous options and he came up with a great idea. The 2nd battery will be mounted on the aluminum bumper under the ladder on the passenger side of the TC. It will connect through the 4ga wire that already runs from the present battery to the generator for starting power.

Only gotcha seems to be that about 2" of the ladder will need to be removed so that the top of the battery box will clear. He's ordering the parts for the ladder modification and the work will be done a week from Thursday.

Will post pictures when it's complete.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Like DJ, I mounted a 2nd battery in front of the driver's side wheelwell. I used heavy duty connectors to wire it to the DC distribution panel under my sink. The original and 2nd battery are run through a marine type "1-2-All" switch. Works great! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
The Lancer 880 only has room for one battery. I'm thinking of connecting a second one and using jumper cables to the main battery. Has anybody ever done this?

Here is an idea that I am toying with
A second series 27 batt in a batt box and connecting with a 7 pi connector when camped.I made my owm 7 pti connector several years ago,but got a new factory made when I got the new camper.
I will cut the old one in half and only use the the 12v hot and gtound
when drycamping unhook the 7 pin connector and plug in the extra batt
Will post pics when I get the new batt and holder
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200