cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody regret buying too much truck?

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?
76 REPLIES 76

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Yep; every time I go to the DMV. :M
why does your state charge you more for a dually oregon does not coast same as my dw escape

I have no idea? You would have to ask Mr. Brown that. I can tell you this. My friend had a F450 years ago and it cost him $1,400 for the little piece of plastic that goes on the license plate every year. Mine cost me $250 a year for my 22 YO 2500 truck. :M
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I saw someone mention 2500 3500 The 3,000+ lbs payload I know the 3/4s can handle plus the 17,000 lbs it can pull so they bought the 2500.
I feel the lessor payload on paper is why I am looking at a 3500. after the 1600 pin weight it does not leave enough payload to load hat I need. I know it can do it, but on paper you cant go above the limit
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I've been pulling trailers of various sizes since I got my drivers licence in something like 1973. I've pulled with 440 Mopars, 460 Fords, 6.9L Fords, 6.2L GMs, 5.7L Fuel-y Suburban, 460 Fuel-y Ford, 7.3 Ford w/Banks Turbo and finally my new-ish 2013 GMC Denali with a Duramax. I hooked it up for the first drive the other day and man! I can't believe what a sweet ride that is having all that pulling power at 1600 rpm's. Crazy! I can't ever see me having anything but a Diesel like this for towing. And the Duramax seems to have very little turbo lag so daily driving is gravy too. Gets 20mpg on the hiway solo at 70mph. But it came at quite the cost compared to gas rigs.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
why does your state charge you more for a dually oregon does not coast same as my dw escape

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I traded my 2500 Ram in for a 3500 Silverado Dually. Don't NEED this much truck...right now. I don't see many if any downsides. The way I use the truck it isn't much different than my old shortbox sgl rw. Plus I get better mileage, not by much but better and my license plates are way cheaper on the one ton. I like the dually a lot more.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
DRW is where I would personally draw the line. Those things suck off road and on narrow forest service roads, let alone parking lots/garages. It would also be a tight squeeze in my garage (big garage, but three separate entry doors, none of which are very wide).

I am with you right there. I would rather go with a smaller the RV that a SRW can tow then get a DRW for some of the reasons you stated. Just not my cup of tea. Then after learning about how GVWR and payload numbers on the 3/4 tons are a farce, it sealed the deal for me. The 3,000+ lbs payload I know the 3/4s can handle plus the 17,000 lbs it can pull is more than enough for me. I can honestly say I don't want to tow anything that would require me to need more than that.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Never regretted buying my 1ton at all and I often wonder why anyone would buy a 3/4ton for essentially the same price. You can NEVER have to much truck.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
DRW is where I would personally draw the line. Those things suck off road and on narrow forest service roads, let alone parking lots/garages. It would also be a tight squeeze in my garage (big garage, but three separate entry doors, none of which are very wide).

But everybody is going to draw the line at a different place. Posters here tow with minivans and crossovers all the way up to full MDTs, or even beyond in a few cases.

The definite sweet spot to me is definitely a SRW 2/3500 diesel.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
no such thing as to much truck i own 2 diesels 1 tons 1 dually and 1 srw

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
If I would have gotten a dually or 3500 then yes, I would have regretted buying too much truck especially when it comes time to pay the registration since they are twice as much. However, I didn't so go the "the the biggest just in case" route and bought what I wanted and needed. Actually it is a bit more than I needed, but every bit of what I wanted.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope, my van is the perfect TV for my Family. Much better than my old dually. That was way too much truck.

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Its hard to say what truck will be needed in years to come. I don't regret buying a 3/4 ton at all since its not my DD. Its a great match with the current camper. Now in the future I may downsize the camper some. If so I will still keep the truck since it will be paid for.

HD trucks these days are great daily drivers. They ride a little bit stiffer and you have a little higher step up to get in them, but they're quiet, comfortable and they handle really well. Personally if I had to tow more than about 7000 lbs there's no way I'd get a half ton. I know many of them are rated to tow a lot more but they aren't nearly as good at is as their bigger brothers. A HD gasser is going to get noticeably poorer mileage than a half ton, but a diesel remedies that issue.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
nope and wish they offered a higher rated Suburban
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Its hard to say what truck will be needed in years to come. I don't regret buying a 3/4 ton at all since its not my DD. Its a great match with the current camper. Now in the future I may downsize the camper some. If so I will still keep the truck since it will be paid for.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.