cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anybody regret buying too much truck?

interceptor15
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?
76 REPLIES 76

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
interceptor15 wrote:
I've recently purchased a new Skyline Ecocamp 20BH. It is a small travel trailer, 4600 pounds loaded with a 700 pound tongue weight. I live in an area with mountains. I would eventually like to haul bikes, people, kayaks, and whatever else I want. I also pull around a 4000 pound boat. Payload is more of my concern than maximum towing weight, as I have fairly light toys. I would like to be able to take some long trips with my trailer in the future.

I've been looking at Ford crew cabs with the 3.5 liter ecoboost. They have around a 2000 pound payload. However, they are very expensive.

I can pick up an F250 or Ram 2500 diesel for roughly $5000 more than the Ford 1/2 ton. I can also pick a gas 3/4 ton for about the same price as the half ton.

I plan on keeping this truck for a while, and will also use it for other recreational activities without pulling anything.

I'm not pulling 20,000 pounds and a lot of the diesel guys laugh at me when I tell them I'm looking at a diesel for my light trailers.

I know about maintenance costs, diesel costs, and the differences in gas mileage. I'm trying to see if anybody has any reason I would regret buying a 3/4 ton diesel or 3/4 gasser for my tow vehicle?

I went through the same thought process you're going through, and you can see the result in my sig. At the end of the day there just wasn't enough cost difference between a properly outfitted half ton versus a HD diesel. I looked at all my options and the three finalists were a HD payload max tow F150, a powerstroke F250 or a Cummins Ram. Newer HD trucks are perfectly comfortable as daily drivers so to me it was a no-brainer. There's really no downside to it.

I went diesel versus gas because the cost difference is a wash in the end, and I prefer the performance you get with the diesel. The good fuel economy and improved range is a nice bonus.

If I ever feel bad about not getting a half ton, I can always take my wife's Pilot for a spin around the block to get it out of my system. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Not at all.
My truck is rated for about twice what my TT weighs.
The result is fantastic performance in the hills.
Get the diesel, the exhaust brake and extra torque are well worth that much.

X2 on the above.

Ours is also rated at twice what our trailer weighs.

It is our theory that when towing, our truck is not working hard at all, and will last longer than a truck that works "hard" during it's towing life.

Like the overall motor longevity between the little old lady's going to church car and a motor in a dragster.

10 years and 109,000 virtually trouble free miles so far, so my theory might be valid.

Get the diesel and you will never be able to wipe the smile off your face when towing.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
No.

My favorite vehicle (bar none) for Alaska is my F550 plow truck. I haul dirt and snow, pull toys summer and winter and it's the go-to for "help, I slid off the road, can you pull me out?" situations. Nothing I've ever done with it has even made it break a sweat.

FWIW, my more-frequent-but-not-daily-driver in AK is a GMC 3/4 ton diesel. Like that as well, particularly when son or daughter ("Isn't my F150 pretty?") need to borrow it to pull something or carry some weight.

I wouldn't want the F550 in Houston, but that's just 'cause I don't do anything fun down here.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I think it depends on your expected use of it. For me, I bought the diesel when my trailer got to the 8000# range. 3/4 ton diesel just did a better job for me. Bought a new trailer, 10000# and couldn't tell much difference in tow load. Bought a 2012 Cummins with the thought of retiring and going from towing 10000 miles a year to more like 30000. I want to get 15 years out of the truck; quite possibly my last TV. If the body and other stuff hold up I'm confident the motor will. If you are only pulling a few thousand miles a year and have plenty of extra capacity with a smaller gas engine and do a lot of short city miles, the gasser is probably more suited to your needs. At least consider the 3/4 ton. It will give you a lot more upgrade room for the near future.

KrazyKGetaway
Explorer
Explorer
Lol ^^ over over compensating...

I'll take one...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get one of these and you'll never know that popup is back there..:B....Dennis

2016 FORD

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Went through this for last month, non stop.

We are looking for tow vehicle for 27-28' Airstream. I've read many times one ton trucks ride so rough they literally rattle the trailer to the point of damage. Airsafe hitches, airbags, help I hear, but I'm not up to speed on that issue yet. But I have no need for a one ton truck and decided a 3/4 ton was more than enough. 3,000 lb payload. Dodge Mega Cab 2500 it is for me.

Went up the diesel thoughts, wanted one. But after studying up on it realized first of all, towing 6-7k camper, I had no need for it. And with all the EGR, DEF, and assorted acronyms that are causing issue since 2013 EPA mandated emissions add ons, it was a risk. I plan on owning my truck long after warranty is over. In the end, I decided the 6.4 Hemi was more than enough.

I will caution you about one thing, however obvious it may be. Folks with diesels will tell you to buy diesels. Folks with gassers will tell you to buy a gasser. It eludes me, but the truth is people are full of ... and simply try to justify their own purchases. Irregardless of what that may be, and with little regard for what you actually need. 4200 lb trailer?? Needs a diesel?? What a joke.

Research all you can here, Cumminsforum, powerstroke forum, watch The Fast Lane truck review videos on YouTube. And then decide for yourself. Lots of well intentioned good advice, but you should think for yourself in the end. I went full circle with what I thought I wanted, compared to what I needed. And what I would want 5 years from now with no warranty. That Cummins is a $23,000 motor. Think ahead.

Dan

KrazyKGetaway
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and no...I bought a 2004 2500 burb with the 8.1l. I haven't trailered it yet but I'm wondering if I could've gotten along with the 6.0l. I know there's no replacement for displacement. I moved to this from the good old 6.5 diesel burb and am getting 2/3 the mileage (was expecting close to the same not towing) but I bet the towing will be great (can't afford a Duraburb). You are right Norsky, it is a hobby fine tuning your rig to help it be at its best when you need it (no one other than you will understand this obsession). And yes, it is a daily driver but I'm going to get that solved by getting another minivan (both my burb and minivan died within two weeks of each other in Feb). But I love the power (buwahahaha!!) For me, it is brad nailing with a sledge hammer. I just can't bring myself to buying just what I need (1/2 ton, 2wd, smaller motor, better mileage). I like to know it will out perform the inevitable challenges (we call them adventures) that seem to follow me whence I go...but that little thing sits in the back of your head "you shoulda bought different", it's hard to get past that sometimes.

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
No.

Had a 2004 2500 Diesel Dodge with the HO 5.9....

Used it to pull a 2004 Prowler 270 FQS Regal TT..

Bought the signature RV and knew the older Dodge would pull it, but wanted the cushion.

Signature truck pulls signature RV like a utility trailer.

You can NEVER have too much truck.

I LOLOLOL at the 1/2 ton crowd trying to justify their numbers..

Buy a real truck and be done with it.. Extra costs of ownership for a big diesel are exaggerated - regardless - no gas truck for me.

Signature truck gets 21 highway and about 18 around our little town.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
When I was living in my RV in Portland OR, back in 2008, the fifth wheel next to me had a F-350 SRW diesel parked near it for a while. One day I noticed that they had two cars, instead of one car and the truck.

They had sold the pickup because they where living in the RV, and had no plans on moving it soon. Even if they needed to move the RV, they could use a towing company to place it on another site. The $700 a month payment was just not in their budget.

I am really happy that I bought a gas motorhome. While the mileage is not nearly as good as some diesel motorhomes, it is much lighter, and the mileage is not all that bad. I do have a higher HP to weight ratio than my buddy in a Country Coach DP that is 40' long and 27,000 GVW. Mine is 30' and 17,000 GVWR, about 16,000 GVW.

The gas cost is not all that bad, considering that in the 16 years I drove it around, I only put on about 50,000 miles, or about 3,000 miles per year, with most of that while it was newer, and cost of gas was less than $2 a gallon. Once in the $4 range, I basically stopped moving it around, except for some shorter trips, or while moving from one state to another to look for work.

I would keep looking at the F-150 Ecoboost. Make sure that you are looking at Max tow packages. If you don't have full grown children (or expect to have 5'5" tall or taller passengers in the rear seat) then the Supercab version with a 7' (or 8') bed would offer a great payload (with the optional max cargo rating) and decent payload ability.

You can find a lot out by reading the towing guide. If you look at the page for 'camper loading' it will give the 'base weight' by subtracting the max cargo rating from the GVWR. But remember if you get the optioned up pickup, it will be heavier than the base models.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

You can look up various years trucks as well.

You might find that a 2011 and later 6.2L F-250 will take on just about any trailer load that you could put on it. It should have around 2,000 pounds of cargo rating, more than enough for any travel trailer out there. But if you pick a fifth wheel, then the F-350 would be a better pick with a 2,800 - 3,000 pound cargo rating.

If you look at a F-350 in 2005, you will find it can have a 11,500 GVWR with single rear wheels, while the 2004 and earlier would only have 9,900 pound GVWR. So they did not carry nearly as much cargo.

The ecoboost has plenty of power. That was reported by one owner of a 10,000 pound trailer, a brand new 2011 F-150 Ecoboost, and he had traded in a slightly older F-150 with a 5.4L and a problematic 6L F-250. The older F-150 had never let him down, but the F-250 with the International 6L had problems, that have been discussed at length for many years on this site.

My sister also bought a 2012 F-150 with 3.5L Ecoboost engine. She has been very happy with it, however her husband thought it was to quiet. Even her dog did not hear him drive up to the house anymore. So he 'improved' the exhaust system to make it louder. Not for me, but anyway it is his truck. ..

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you state payload is your concern so I'd recommend a 3500-series. The 1-ton SRW from each of the big three trucks offer +/- 4,000 lbs of legal payload.

Ride is a bit rougher and price a bit higher but I never regret daily driving my 1-ton.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I downsized from a CC Dually/TT to a Minivan/PUP and am tickled to death.

But I am an oddball on this forum and its okay. My minivan does everything I need it to do. PUP is much more comfy than our TT...happy family..happy me.

Did I regret buying my Dually? Yep.. about 50 miles after I purchased it. No matter what I did, I hated it.

Mostly because the 98% of the time I wasn't pulling my trailer I was daily driving/city driving/parking garaging/doing the homeowner thing... and it was like trying to brad nail a trim piece of wood with a 10 lb sledge.... way too much truck.

For me,IF we were going back to a TT, and if I could make the numbers work... it would be a half ton crew cab short bed truck. If I could NOT make the numbers work then it would be a 3/4 ton CC Ram 6.4 Hemi with Coil springs... and a short bed.

Many people daily drive a HD truck and only use the truck for half ton chores and daily driving with the occasionally heavy pull of their RV...and they seem to be perfectly content.

I'm not one of those guys...and I am not trying to scare you into a half ton or anything like that. I just want to answer your question...

I bought a mega truck and I hated nearly every minute of my ownership.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my 5500lb TT with a F250 diesel and love every minute of it. Half the time I don't even know it's back there, and in mountainous areas it just flies up the hill staying at the speed limit.

It costs me $120 to change oil with full synthetic, and fuel filters are $40. It's not really much more expensive.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.

I've owned two diesel 3/4T 4X4 trucks since I bought the first one in 1983. They've always been my daily drivers and had a 110 gal fuel tank in the back. I did have a TC on the first one for a few years. The second one pulls snow machine trailers and a dump trailer a few times a year. If I buy another one, I'll probably go to a 1-ton next time.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
:h

I've heard this "maintenance costs" referring to diesel ownership a lot.

Honestly, if you cannot afford the small increase in price for filters and the extra oil it usually takes, then perhaps you should find another hobby.

And these newest diesels have almost extended oil and filter change intervals, somewhere in the 15,000 mile range, if you follow manufacturers recommendations.

Get the diesel and don't worry about what ignorant folks say about it.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!