cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone brought home 2015 F150 yet?

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for anyone who has please?

Way back when it was announces that Ford was going with aluminum body construction, some of the anti-Ford crowd predicted that there would be huge increase in the insurance rates... :h

I predicted that there would be none or minimal, as in my experience, the rates are "more" affected by safety ratings than repair costs.

Can anyone give some real world experience yet on this issue?

EDIT to add..
O ya, what do you think of the truck so far???
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL
23 REPLIES 23

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Just at my dealer's body shop today and they said they had just received all the equipment they need to do aluminum repairs. They also have a wait and see attitude on it from what I gathered.

They won't know the expense of fixing aluminum until they actually get their first.

Their dealership also had their first 2015 F150. Watch out for packages. This $47K XLT 4WD Crew 3.5L Ecoboost has the new reciever hitch option and integrated brake control, but NO TOW PACKAGE!! So it can only tow 5000 lbs!!! Nuts that they offered options and packages in a way to get the hitch and brake controller WITHOUT THE TOW PACKAGE! This needs to be changed right away!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct , personal injury -can you say lawsuit- is by far and away the big ticket thing for insurance companies ,posters who try and scaremonger about the aluminum F150 are just butt hurt that "their company" is getting left behind.
Insurance companies love it if all they have to do is repair and replace a few body panels.
That said the insurance instiute crash test numbers on the truck are going to tell the tale,if they aren't best in the class heads will roll at Ford.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
I am speaking from experience in the Canadian insurance system but US must be similar. One part of my job involved getting new vehicles plated/registered and to do that I had to ensure insurance was in place. This involved contacting brokers on customers behalf and it wasn't uncommon for rates to not increase (sometimes decrease) when going up 3-4 yrs on a new truck.

There are 4 sections involved with full insurance on a new vehicle.
--The public liability/property damage; to cover what you may cause damage to.
--The comprehensive; for hail, vandalism, etc.
--Collision; for damage to "your" vehicle when you crash.
--And medical; to cover damage to people.

My actual bill is back in Canada but it breaks each section down and as I recall the largest charge was for the medical portion.
As a new vehicle could be rated as much safer than old one, this is when you could see a reduction in overall bill.
I also think the collision and comp charges were less than half the total bill so this is the only portion that should go up if there were to be an increase on an aluminum vehicle?

That's why I suggested to those predicting "HUGE" insurance increases, that I thought they were wrong...:h
I don't think, less than a hundred a year is a huge amount that would sway a deal?

Hoping as a few folks buy these we will all find out?

I guess I am just trying to show the naysayers that
"NO, you won't see a huge increase on a new aluminum body truck!"
:W

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
mich800 wrote:
That is as close as you will get. You can still go to a Ford lot and purchase either a 2014 or 2015. So model year aside they are both new off the lot purchases. I don't know if the Ford is historically more expensive to insure than Chevy in your area. Can you do that quote with a 2014 Ford and 2014/15 Chevy to see if they would be the same? That may answer that question.
spud1957 wrote:
Did you get a breakdown of the specific coverage that was $5.61 higher? Was it just collision? As that is where the add'l aluminum repair costs would be covered. Do both trucks have the same retail price?
Ok, got the rate quotes to replace my current truck with the following trucks (all 150/1500, 4x4, crew cabs):

2014 Ford Ecoboost $2.47 (+) increase
2014 Chevy V8 $4.41 (-) decrease
2015 Ford Ecoboost $5.61 (+) increase
2015 Chevy V8 $ .14 (+) increase

Looks like, at least in my situation, it costs more to insure a Ford :h

spud1957, yes, they had a complete breakdown for collision/comp/liability, but I just didn't have time to compare it all. Hopefully later.

Thank you. So a little more on the 2015 Ford. Assuming this is monthly about $38 more annually for the aluminum version in your case. As far as the Chevy there are many things that impact the premium such as theft risk, etc. That is why I was looking to isolate just the Ford.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
That is as close as you will get. You can still go to a Ford lot and purchase either a 2014 or 2015. So model year aside they are both new off the lot purchases. I don't know if the Ford is historically more expensive to insure than Chevy in your area. Can you do that quote with a 2014 Ford and 2014/15 Chevy to see if they would be the same? That may answer that question.
spud1957 wrote:
Did you get a breakdown of the specific coverage that was $5.61 higher? Was it just collision? As that is where the add'l aluminum repair costs would be covered. Do both trucks have the same retail price?
Ok, got the rate quotes to replace my current truck with the following trucks (all 150/1500, 4x4, crew cabs):

2014 Ford Ecoboost $2.47 (+) increase
2014 Chevy V8 $4.41 (-) decrease
2015 Ford Ecoboost $5.61 (+) increase
2015 Chevy V8 $ .14 (+) increase

Looks like, at least in my situation, it costs more to insure a Ford :h

spud1957, yes, they had a complete breakdown for collision/comp/liability, but I just didn't have time to compare it all. Hopefully later.

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
The wife is an insurance broker not a adjuster...so had her ask this question to one of her adjusters. Simple reply, insurance companies are in the business to make money, if the replacement parts costs are more then "steel/tin/plastic", then insurance companies are going to increase premiums or deductibles to recover their costs to keep their bottom line.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Just went to my insurance company's website and got a quote for a 2015 Ford F150 Super Crew Ecoboost 4x4 as a possible replacement for my current truck. They asked if the truck was made out of steel or aluminum . . . just joking, of course! Seriously though, my rates would have gone up $5.61 a month.

Also got a quote for a 2015 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab V8 4x4 as a possible replacement for my current truck. My rates would have gone up 14 cents a month.

Hhmm . . . interesting.

2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
mich800 wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Just went to my insurance company's website and got a quote for a 2015 Ford F150 Super Crew Ecoboost 4x4 as a possible replacement for my current truck. They asked if the truck was made out of steel or aluminum . . . just joking, of course! Seriously though, my rates would have gone up $5.61 a month.

Also got a quote for a 2015 Chevy 1500 Crew Cab V8 4x4 as a possible replacement for my current truck. My rates would have gone up 14 cents a month.

Hhmm . . . interesting.

So less than $75 extra for the aluminum Ford?
I don't think that would hold many back from buying.....

Hers a quote on another thread but again no figures are given.

-------------quote----------------------

geotex1

Repairs to that aluminum body are going to be expensive every way around. The insurance companies are not keen on them - I know this to be fact. Will be interesting to see how it ultimately proves out.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope a few on this forum will update this as they price or buy these trucks.
Actually all this shows is a newer presumably more expensive vehicle is more to insure. Not that aluminum is more expensive to insure than steel. The closest apples to apples will be an actual quote for a new 2014 vs 2015.
Not sure comparing rates for the 2014 F150 and 2015 F150 would be exactly apples to apples. If the 2014 F150 rates were higher, well . . . everyone would just scratch their heads and probably say I worked for Ford. If the 2015 rates were higher, one could easily claim the increase was due to depreciation of the 2014 F150.

That's why I compared rates for a 2015 Ford F150 and a 2015 Chevy 1500, both equipped exactly the same. At least there's no depreciation issues.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
mich800 wrote:
v10superduty wrote:
otrfun wrote:

Hhmm . . . interesting.

geotex1

Repairs to that aluminum body are going to be expensive every way around. The insurance companies are not keen on them - I know this to be fact. Will be interesting to see how it ultimately proves out.

Actually all this shows is a newer presumably more expensive vehicle is more to insure. Not that aluminum is more expensive to insure than steel. The closest apples to apples will be an actual quote for a new 2014 vs 2015.
Not sure comparing rates for the 2014 F150 and 2015 F150 would be exactly apples to apples. If the 2014 F150 rates were higher, well . . . everyone would just scratch their heads and probably say I worked for Ford. If the 2015 rates were higher, one could easily claim the increase was due to depreciation of the 2014 F150.

That's why I compared rates for a 2015 Ford F150 and a 2015 Chevy 1500, both equipped exactly the same. At least there's no depreciation issues.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
otrfun wrote:

Hhmm . . . interesting.

geotex1

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:

Hhmm . . . interesting.

geotex1

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hhmm . . . interesting.

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Bamaman1 wrote:

Aluminum is the future of automobiles and trucks worldwide.

I fully agree with this statement and that's why I feel those who keep bringing up the "huge insurance hikes" issue are wrong..
I still bet it will be minimal or nothing over a comparable 2-3 year old trade in.
I guess eventually we will find out?

Insurance agents are weird sometimes. :S
Way back when my 2000 F250 was new (it was early order, got it early Aug 99) my local agent who I had been with about 10 years said, "too new can't quote!" ---- What :h
I went online and got hold of (get ready) Good Sam Ins.
Went with them and ended up there for bout 10 years. (merged into GMAC Ins in Canada)

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Ford's first retail delivery was on 12/2/2014.

Only one factory is up and running, however expect them at dealers' lots now in limited supplies. It's going to take a few months for the Kansas City Plant to come on line, as they're installing the manufacturing equipment now.

It's hard enough to come in with a completely new pickup truck--much less one out of a material never used in mass automobile production. But at the same time, Ford's having to design and build all the presses, robots and machinery for the future of the automotive world.

Aluminum is the future of automobiles and trucks worldwide. GM just brought out their new Silverados last year, but they're also designing their aluminum truck. Competition's going to demand big changes in the industry.

We have an ex-Reynolds aluminum factory in our town that's recently been rolling aluminum can stock for Coca-Cola and Budweiser. The factory was just bought by a Dutch aluminum company to put out automotive aluminum panels--and over doubling capacity.