cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have a GM 1500 with Max Trailering?

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to figure out if I can go from a 2001 GMC 2500HD that is starting to look old to a 1500 with the Max Trailering package.

I have a Cougar 30RKS. I have a Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch. I have weighed my trailer and truck. The only thing I haven't done is weigh the truck empty to see what my actual current payload is.

I'd like to move away from a diesel as I have a very short commute and end up parking it for 6 months over the winter and drive a beater. I am thinking of a gas truck.

Trailer weighs ~8,000 fully loaded as per my last run over a scale. Assume max load of 8,200 lbs. Tounge weight is 1,060 but weight transferred to the truck with the WD hitch set up is ~775 lbs. Weight on the trailer axles ~7,200.

Truck weight while hooked up is 8,650 lbs.

I know it isn't a correct comparison, but the total combined weight is 15,850. According to the brochure I looked through, the GCVWR for the 1500 with the max tow (5.3L 3.73 rear) is 7,600 KG or 16,720 lbs. I am below that now with the diesel so I can't see how I would be over the weight with the gas truck etc.

So, best I can tell is I would be under the tow rating (~11,000), under the combined (16,720) and the only question is would I be under the payload (~2,200).

The other option would be stepping up to another diesel and I just don't see that happening. I like my truck but don't pull enough to really need it and more often than not am driving 5 minutes to work.

Hope this makes some sense.

Who is towing with the Max Trailering package and what are you towing?
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS
24 REPLIES 24

jwc99
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with the 6.2 I think they recommend premium fuel. I have read where some are running mid grade. I didn't want the extra fuel cost of premium since the truck is a daily driver. Another note on my 5.3, it now takes 8.5 quarts of oil for a change. I have heard several people complain about the cost of changing the oil in a diesel, well it looks like I'll be getting close to their cost with synthetic oil. But if I can't afford the cost of an oil change I probably don't need to go camping anyway.

jwc99
Explorer
Explorer
GVWR 7600 lb, GAWR FRT 3950 lb, GAWR RR 4300 lb, sticker says weight of cargo and occupants never exceed 1891 lbs. GM quotes Max payload is 2210 lbs, I have 20" wheels so I am sure that takes away from their rating, probably based on 17" wheels. According to GM curb weight is 5278 lb, towing is listed at 10900 lbs. Hope this helps.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
jwc99 wrote:
I have a 2015 1500 Max Tow 4x4 crew cab with the 5.3. I can give you my sticker numbers if that will help you. I pull a 28bh, sticker shows 5329 lb dry and not to exceed a cargo weight of 2314 lbs. Gives a little over 7600 lbs of trailer according to the sticker. I have not carried the camper to the scales yet to get the true weight, notice I said yet. I will be carrying the complete rig, truck and trailer whenever I get a chance to load everything like I was heading on a trip. I can say I with the test pulls I have made the truck has plenty of power.

Be curious to know your weights. I figure I'm at 8,200 most times but was a bit under that last time I weighed.
2010 Cougar 30RKS

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Why not just get a 3/4 ton with a gas engine? Problem solved.

$10K - $15K more money.
2010 Cougar 30RKS

jwc99
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 1500 Max Tow 4x4 crew cab with the 5.3. I can give you my sticker numbers if that will help you. I pull a 28bh, sticker shows 5329 lb dry and not to exceed a cargo weight of 2314 lbs. Gives a little over 7600 lbs of trailer according to the sticker. I have not carried the camper to the scales yet to get the true weight, notice I said yet. I will be carrying the complete rig, truck and trailer whenever I get a chance to load everything like I was heading on a trip. I can say I with the test pulls I have made the truck has plenty of power.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just get a 3/4 ton with a gas engine? Problem solved.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
First, I think I might have confused GVWR and CGVWR. I think it's 7,600 lbs GVWR and not 7,600 KG combined. Problem working with US and Canadian brochures, I get confused.

The 6.2 Max Tow has a lower payload rating than the 5.3 Max tow. 2,270 vs 2,110 for double cab 4x4.

Rear axle payload rating is 4,300 lb. Rear axle weight on my current setup is ~4,700 lbs. Current truck has a canopy and boat rack. I'd move to a tonneau and us a trailer for my boat so wouldn't bother with the boat rack.

I think I need to weigh my truck empty to see what I am using for payload now. My guess is I will be close.
2010 Cougar 30RKS

astraelraen
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you would want the 5.3... even the new 5.3 with the max trailering package with that heavy of a trailer. I would go with the 6.2l and max trailering. That's a heavy trailer.

I think you will be borderline on payload and maybe rear axle ratio on any 1/2 ton. The new GM and Ford 1/2 tons can get near the 2000lb payload range with their corresponding max towing packages but as BenK said you still have a lower rear axle ratio that is limited by the 1/2 ton platform.
2013 F150 Crewcab Ecoboost Max Tow
3.73 gears 157" wheelbase

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have a 2011 with the NHT package. It is a 6.2L with 3.73 gears and the integrated trailer brake. It comes with larger axles and brakes. The payload is just shy of 2K and I routinely tow 8K to 10K in the mountains of the west. I have 4 ยพt and 1t PSD trucks available on the ranch to use for towing and much prefer the Silverado NHT package over any of the PSDs. It will more than do the job you want.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
You are going from an approx 9,200 lb GVWR down to a 7,xxx lb GVWR truck

From a rear GAWR of approx 7,000 lb GAWR down to something in the 4,xxx lb GAWR

I've found that Ford does not make/offer a true fake half ton anymore. It used
to be a 8,xxx GVWR truck and is now a 7,xxx GVWR truck. Rear GAWR used to
be close to 6,xxx RGAWR and now 4,xxx RGAWR...so making the assumption that
GM likewise no longer offers that fake half ton...

Use those numbers for you research

GVWR 7,xxx lbs
RGAWR 4,xxx lbs

Cargo/payload will be GVWR minus curb
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...