cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone take their PopUp South for the Winter?

rvnetter
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of you take or use your popup in the South during the Winter? Are there others doing the same, or do you feel out of place with all of the motorhomes, travel trailers, and fifth wheels?
Thanks
Happy Trails to You!

The Tin Tent
2006 R-Vision Trail Lite
8 REPLIES 8

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
rvnetter wrote:
Do any of you take or use your popup in the South during the Winter?

Seems as if most of the responses have been, "No, but I've seen it done." You may have to wait until April when they all get back to repost your question.;)

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Our neighbor and friend took his pop-up and family to Fort Wilderness one year for a couple of weeks in the winter. It is a 3400 mile round trip.

They stayed in motels until they hit warm weather.

It allowed him to get his kids to Disney on a budget.

Not exactly south "for the winter" but certainly south during the winter!
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not me doing it, but I have met full-timers in pop-ups who move right along with the fiver and motorhome full-timers and snowbirds. They do not necessarily stay in the same places. Some of the big guys go to the "no camping" resorts, while I more often PUPs and TTs in campgrounds and mixed-camping RV parks.

At the RV park I visit at Grand Lake there is a PUP off in the corner in November, and he is there again when I return in March. Don't know if he is permanent, or wintering (gets quite cold though the park stays open), or just at the tail end of the southern migration and lead of the northern migration.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I full time and I see quite a few pop ups every time I pull in a CG for the night.
Pop ups have come a LONG way in regards to comfort from years ago.

Last year I met a full timer in a pop up. They sold their 40 something foot DP for the pop up. Not because of financial reasons either. After several years on the road they found they could experience far more places traveling with the pop up than they could in the DP.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We spent most of the winter in various state parks in the Florida Panhandle. There was nearly always a pop-up or two there as well. We had four or five really cold nights (low 20's) but there were tent campers there also and everybody survived. lizzie

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I Never feel out of place anywhere. The only one we really have to please is ourselves...

ALthough we have never gone south for the winter and setup is some fancy camp ground for the winter months We have pulled our OFF-ROAD POPUP setup all over the East Coast, gulf States, southern states and as far west as Texas and Okla. Even in the winter months...

Our real love is camping off the power grids and sitting on a creekbed site enjoying the great outdoors. I guess being avid TENT Campers from the 50s and 60s may have had something to do with this style of camping.

We are outdoor lovers and get our outdoor fix when-ever and where-ever we can. We always like to end the day with a nice country cooked peaceful meal, catch some HDTV, check-in with the kids, and pay some bills online no matter where we might be at the time.

Has been a most enjoyable ride so far. Hoping for many more camping adventures...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Meaning to live in for extended periods of time (months)? I'm sure some adventurests have done it, but living in a PU for months would be tough!

Will be interesting to read the replies.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen it often in Florida State Parks. They are not "out of place" there.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006