cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone tow anything behind a Ford Edge ?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Max tow weight is 3,500 lbs (Class II), but even the EcoBoost (turbo) 4 cylinder is rated for that ! The Trailer Towing Option comes with a 2" receiver and a 4 wire trailer harness.

Sadly, the 2.7L EcoBoost 6 cylinder, which has lots of power, is NOT rated for towing. Probably because it comes with ridiculous 20" wheels and extremely low profile tires and they did not want to design a larger radiator and transmission cooler. Plus they really want yo to move up to a Flex or Explorer.
13 REPLIES 13

zombojoe
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say that I've towed with an Edge, but I have towed with a Flex. it was a one-time thing as it wasn't my vehicle, but I can say that it towed great. We were right on the edge of the 4500 lb tow rating as well.If possible, would the Flex be something that fits your needs?I know it's a wagon and not a CUV, but it should suit anything any trailer at or under 4000 lb.
P.S. to be fair, the electric fan did **** out on us. The vehicle was an early model and I'm pretty sure the issue has been fixed in the recent model years.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fast Mopar wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
The only small SUV I can think of is the Toyota Highlander that has a truck frame instead of uni-body.

Highlander is unibody, front drive platform, definitely not a truck frame. Maybe you meant to say Toyota 4Runner.
Your right I meant 4Runner. Thanks

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We Cant Wait wrote:
No wonder that truck bent in the middle, 1) a very big heavy TC with about a 3' rear over hang and 2) a good sized trl (probably heavy) with an extended tongue. Talk about the 2 turning into 1 BIG LEVER prying down on the rear of the truck.

The extended tongue trailer puts a lot LESS stress on the truck chassis than the four foot long hitch extensions most people with campers use.
I'd love to hear the story on that photo! One-ton duallies are well within their comfort zone with a big camper and a big trailer. Something crazy had to have happened, especially to fold it like that!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
The only small SUV I can think of is the Toyota Highlander that has a truck frame instead of uni-body.

Highlander is unibody, front drive platform, definitely not a truck frame. Maybe you meant to say Toyota 4Runner.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
There sure is a load of misinformation in here. Where to start...

I owned a 2008 Highlander and towed with it for 140,000 of its 185,000 total miles. It did NOT have a truck frame; the Highlander is a unibody.

Unibody vehicles are plenty capable of towing. Jeep Grand Cherokee, for example, has a 7200 lb tow rating with optional V8, and it has been a unibody for years and years.

That said, I agree that the 350 lb. hitch weight limit will be a huge factor. Figure on towing less than 3000 lbs max, so you don't exceed hitch weight, and keep trailer length under 18' or thereabout. A 13'-16' Scamp or Casita would be a good match. I had a KZ Escape E14RB for a few years and that could work too, as long as one traveled with an empty fresh water tank (it was up front).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Depends on the year. We ordered my wife's 2013 Edge and the 2.0 liter Ecoboost is rated to tow 2,000 lbs. But the factory tow package wasn't available as an option on the 4 cyl ecoboost. That being said, I've not towed anything with it, we just use the Explorer.

I just bought a 2016 Edge 2.0L EcoBoost (which I love !). I was very surprised that it came with a factory tow package rated at the same 3,500# as the non-turbo 3.5L !

My boat weights around 3,000# and it is pretty flat around here. I would not hesitate to tow it, even with the 4 cylinder.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't ask opinions. Get the numbers on the specific version you are looking at.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Max tow weight is 3,500 lbs (Class II), but even the EcoBoost (turbo) 4 cylinder is rated for that ! The Trailer Towing Option comes with a 2" receiver and a 4 wire trailer harness.

Sadly, the 2.7L EcoBoost 6 cylinder, which has lots of power, is NOT rated for towing. Probably because it comes with ridiculous 20" wheels and extremely low profile tires and they did not want to design a larger radiator and transmission cooler. Plus they really want yo to move up to a Flex or Explorer.

Depends on the year. We ordered my wife's 2013 Edge and the 2.0 liter Ecoboost is rated to tow 2,000 lbs. But the factory tow package wasn't available as an option on the 4 cyl ecoboost. That being said, I've not towed anything with it, we just use the Explorer.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
No wonder that truck bent in the middle, 1) a very big heavy TC with about a 3' rear over hang and 2) a good sized trl (probably heavy) with an extended tongue. Talk about the 2 turning into 1 BIG LEVER prying down on the rear of the truck.

Understood, but that is my unspoken intend of my jest in posting that picture. Physics should rule....not marketing specs and more to the point the assumption that there is something inherently better about a truck frame style construction. In fact a unibody is significantly more rigid and stronger for a given weight, that's why they use them in cars. The need for the flat bed in a truck leads to a big compromise on frame rigidity (although much less so when the truck frame is mated to an SUV body).

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
As noted by the OP, tow ratings (for smaller vehicles) often have far more to do with upselling than engineering or physics. In Europe where the upselling to trucks is not on the table magically the ratings double, and most mid sized trailers are pulled with small cars in my observation when travelling there.

BTW the Edge is probably a better towing platform than the Explorer, better overhang ratio etc according to some experts....it does need professional TLC to do the above.

Of course there some vehicles you do need to be more careful with.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As far as I'm concerned they made it useless for me when they made it into a car along with the Ford Explorer. You have to look at it from Ford's view point they will sell more of them to people who don't tow that just like the appearance of a SUV. CUV's are what's popular.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
i wouldn't tow anything but a popup or A-frame behind an Edge.
it's not the engine as much as the unibody chassis.
hitch capacity will max at 350lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes