cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Happijac 4800 jacks?

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace one jack. It's bent just enough that it's pulling a lot of current, and sometime blows the fuse for the right side. The jack works great with a hand crank but I want all 4 to work with the remote.

Currently have Happijac 4500's, rated at 1900#. They are ball screw jacks and handle the weight ok.

Yes, I know everyone calls them "Crappyjacs", but I'm not going to the expense of replacing all of them at one time. I want to wait till they need to be replaced and then add the heavier jacks.

The 4800's are rated at 2800# but are ACME screw.

I talked to Happijac. They said they are swappable, just a bit longer and heavier. They claim they are better even though they aren't ball screw. I would love to feel of them to make a hands on decision but there are no dealers near.

Would like to know if the ACME screw mechanism handles the weight as well as the ball screw.

I know the 4500's work better than the 4150s.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these two or have them on your camper?
If so, what camper are you lifting with them?
Joe & Evelyn
25 REPLIES 25

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
egarant wrote:
Here is a write up on TCM on the new 4800 jack

I purchased a set of 4 today to replace my no longer manufactured 4160 jacks.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
See-depends on user. The added braking of the acme screw would be enough for me to switch. The added capacity, length&weight, of the 4500 Id be tempted to replace both fronts.
Our Atwoods the fronts like to coast a bit after releasing button when lowering camper, to the point I often 'bump' the up to stop.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just replaced all my HJ 4500s with the 4800s. My 4500s were 3 years old (had 4600 before that) and not holding up at all. One 4500 seized up and the other 3 were not far behind. Hopefully the 4800s with the zinc platting will hold up better. I'll let you know after this winter.
Customer service at HJ was good, talk to Gary, he cut me a deal again.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a write up on TCM on the new 4800 jack

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
need to replace one jack. It's bent just enough that it's pulling a lot of current, and sometime blows the fuse for the right side. The jack works great with a hand crank but I want all 4 to work with the remote.

with your past motor problems I'd suggest you change motors around to see you still blow fuses on that jack ( corroded plug ?)
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
No rants please. I know everyone has opinions on products. I've had Atwood manuals and now Happijac electrics, I've had only minor issues.

Back to my topic.

Does anyone have these on their camper yet or have you compared them with the ball screw jacks??
Joe & Evelyn

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
consider your self very lucky

this is my first run in with hj all four were just like this ( have many more pix ) less than 1 year old
hj denied any responsibility however Mark Holmes at Bigfoot stepped up and had them replaced when I showed them to him at the factory

1999 Bigfoot 1011

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
54suds wrote:
with crappy jacks long long long of history of knowing they had poor quality issues and" knowingly "continue to produce and sell a substandard product ,why would anyone trust their statements about improvements . this is a company that for years did little or next Nothing to help the people stuck with their junk ,yes you could send them back for possible repair but only at an very high cost to the customer . In the past I personally have had to replace 6 of their jacks and right now have at least 3 that should be replaced
Torklift could teach them plenty about quality and customer relations

acme verses ball info link

16 years on my Hjac's. I use them a lot. Camper has close to 200,000 miles on it now. Just grease 2 times... Do have some rust on the outer shells. Rocks do create pits... Sand and paint soon.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
after several hrs reviewing info on old and the new happi jacks it is my opinion they reduced parts costs ,reduced their production costs and then used "New" as an doubt-able!!!! EXCUSE to raise prices

relative experience:
4 years machine shop 4 years machinist mate Navy , 1 year production quality control inspector in metal fab at Bossert Mfg Utica ,ny 1 year machine op at Chicago pneumatic , 26 years supervisor of both metal fabrication and soap mfg industries , then 6 more years shop supervisor metal furniture products & fabrication in another factory site
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the info in 54suds link, I think that I would personally stay with the ball screw for the mere reason that I could drop the jacks to the ground without power. The acme sounds like it needs power to do anything to overcome friction.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
with crappy jacks long long long of history of knowing they had poor quality issues and" knowingly "continue to produce and sell a substandard product ,why would anyone trust their statements about improvements . this is a company that for years did little or next Nothing to help the people stuck with their junk ,yes you could send them back for possible repair but only at an very high cost to the customer . In the past I personally have had to replace 6 of their jacks and right now have at least 3 that should be replaced
Torklift could teach them plenty about quality and customer relations

acme verses ball info link
1999 Bigfoot 1011