Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox 990 on SRW in the Snow?

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

New member here, excited to be joining your ranks. Less exciting is the prospect of wrecking my new truck and TC.

I have the truck (2017 F-350, CC, SRW, 6.7l, FX4), but not the TC. Reason being the safety factor.

I understand that AF990's weight is roughly 4k lbs. I'll never be carrying more than 1 day of water or LPG. Also opting not to get AC, Fox landing, solar, or any side awnings. I don't need any of the above, and all would save some weight (although I've heard carrying a bit more water can improve handling).

I'll do whatever I need to do on the truck (independent air bags at minimum). I plan on running Nokian LT2 studs (e-rated, and roughly 3600lb per tire). I don't care if they're destined to last only 15k miles, as I feel there's no safer way to transport my family in winter conditions.

Speaking of that, this camper will be used 99% of the time to overnight up on the mountain (5400ft climb from my house). I will have to make the drive every weekend, all winter, regardless of conditions (the first 2/3rds is essentially never snowy, and the last 3rd is highly variable (Mt. Hood, OR).

All of the above brings me to my hang-up. I know I could put everything together in such a way that I stay under my 11,500 GVWR, but given the weight of the TC, it wouldn't be by much. I wonder if I'm going to regret not leaving myself more overhead in terms of payload.

Ultimately, I know I can always slow down enough to make the trip safely, but I don't want to be "that guy" on the road who is holding everyone else up in single Lane sections.

As there will frequently be 2 adults and an almost-teenage man child camping, and since one of those adults is my wife, my impression from reading these forums is that a slide is almost a necessity. Would you agree?

If so, I could also consider a Lance 995 to save several hundred lbs (just felt like the AF had the edge in build quality, and with all the extra weight, it better!). I think I could even save a few lbs in a Host (but not a few dollars).

If not, that would bring Northern Lite into the running, which seems to make a lot of sense as an exclusive winter camper where weight is also a factor (especially the sportsman).

I'm sure if you've made it this far, you get the idea. Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can offer. I look forward to being a part of this community.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
2018 Northern Lite 9-6 SE
Upper StableLoads (for now)
Nokian LT2 Studs
101 REPLIES 101

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
You made a good choice with the Northern Lite. We have the 8.11 QCSE and I carry it on a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gas engine. NL makes a really good, true 4 season camper. But, like any of the manufacturers, they can have issues as well. Before mine was a year old I had to have the dealer replace the refrigerator as it was not getting cold at all. I also had to replace the Rayzr HD Antenna. All under warranty but still frustrating nonetheless. Neither of those issues were NL quality problems.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mark. Just for your peace of mind, my deal is better because it is a 2018 that was used for 2 nights, then returned. Looks/smells new, and still has warranty through April, which is when I would have needed it anyway. A new 2019 would have run another 2k at least.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Sliding-into-home wrote:
Correct, my kid is doing ski team sat/sun all winter and there is no on-mountain lodging.

We are ready to burn the LP for sure. Here and elsewhere, I've heard we'll be burning a lot less with a fiberglass non-slide. Those S5 acrylic windows shouldn't need separate insulation best I can tell. But I should have real world feedback by next weekend. Bought it today and will be installed on Wednesday.

Northern Lite 9-6 special edition with U-dinette and wireless rearview camera. Full dealer prep, batteries, LP, hoses, cords, etc, torklift stable loads, tie downs, fast guns, and bed mat installed and out the door for 36k even. Good deal? Not too late to change my mind at this point, but it seems like a good deal best I can tell.

Congratulations! This sounds like a decent deal. (I paid more for my 2014 9.6 new off the lot in 2014!)

Happy Camping!

- Mark0.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like an awesome winter ahead!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. I liked the wolf Creek quite a bit as well. It ended up being my top runner up today.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

3TV
Explorer
Explorer
Sliding-into-home wrote:
Bought it today and will be installed on Wednesday.

Northern Lite 9-6 special edition with U-dinette and wireless rearview camera. Full dealer prep, batteries, LP, hoses, cords, etc, torklift stable loads, tie downs, fast guns, and bed mat installed and out the door for 36k even. Good deal? Not too late to change my mind at this point, but it seems like a good deal best I can tell.

Congrats! It sounds like a good deal to me. I paid $25K for my 2019 Wolf Creek 840. But that did not include the extras I added, such as the 7 year extended warranty, a DC television, 2000 watt inverter, dual 6 volt batteries, 170 watt solar panel, the torklift tie downs and fast guns. No sales tax on mine, because the trade in was worth $26K more than the camper. So, ... about $30K out the door for mine.
2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie SWB 4x4
2020 Lance 825
2021 Grand Design Momentum 350G

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Other than appliances, I canโ€™t think of any reason to buy a new Bigfoot or Northern Lite. They arenโ€™t mechanical. Their designs arenโ€™t much different compared to the older models. Appliances are that expensive and havenโ€™t changed much. Most RVs are barely used per year.

You are only talking about a very short period when there is a warranty in any case. There are plenty of stories with people having issues with new RVs so much so that the RV stays at the dealer most of the first year. The more it cost the more you lose when you trade.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
It is nice to have money for new one.
Although I bought my 2 campers in TLC condition, I paid less 1/5 of that for each of them.
Enjoy your new toy.

Yeah, I almost bought a TLC early 90's bigfoot for 7k or so. There were a lot of factors that went into the decision to get a new one, and it was a close call. But like I said, I can still back out of I change my mind before install, if the right used one came up before then, I probably would.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
It is nice to have money for new one.
Although I bought my 2 campers in TLC condition, I paid less 1/5 of that for each of them.
Enjoy your new toy.

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Correct, my kid is doing ski team sat/sun all winter and there is no on-mountain lodging.

We are ready to burn the LP for sure. Here and elsewhere, I've heard we'll be burning a lot less with a fiberglass non-slide. Those S5 acrylic windows shouldn't need separate insulation best I can tell. But I should have real world feedback by next weekend. Bought it today and will be installed on Wednesday.

2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
So, I would assume that you are camping out to go skiing / boarding out there in the winter...

I have an AF811 and have been camping many a winter at the slopes in Washington and BC. Its a four season camper but make no mistake if you are burning LP you are going to use a lot. On the hill if they have plugins you should get a supplemental Electric heat system. While they claim to be four seasons it can get mighty cold in the camper, and the LP doesn't flow as good.

I would also recommend insulating the windows and putting a switch on the basement fan to keep it running 24x7 to keep the heat circulating thru the "heated" basement.

I also added an electric mattress pad and insulation under the mattress.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
I'll get a loaded axle weight today. With a wet weight well under 3000lbs and an unloaded rear axle weight of 3400lb, with passengers, I think we'll be well within specs, but like you said earlier, if I end up wanting to tow something, wheels and tires would be much more important.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

Bedlam
If you are going to be a stickler for weight, take a look at your OEM rim ratings. I went to 19.5's because the stock rims were rated for close to what the stock tires can carry.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Sliding-into-ho
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed jknight. I've worked too hard and saved too diligently to put it at risk, even if the risk is small. The fact is that people get sued all the time when they cause accidents with injuries. Might be a small risk that being overloaded makes things any worse than they already were, but I can tell you that every little saving grace you can point to would matter.

Anyway, not here to grind that axe. I asked my question, got good answers, and they helped reinforce a safe decision. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to exceed specs. Remember that I'm only going to be driving my TC up curvy, snowy, icy, windy mountain roads. I don't feel like that leaves me as much leeway to push the limits compared to others. If I was on flat dry pavement, I would have gotten the AF and called it a day with the plausible deniability of the weight sticker and manufacturer literature.

As it stands, I'll be well under specs even when fully loaded. I just ordered Nokian lt2 studs (125 load rated), and also planning on stable loads as a baseline, and then see how things feel from there.
2017 F-350, CC/LB/SRW
Nokian LT2 Studs

Jknight611
Explorer
Explorer
I was a professional pilot back in my working career. On a aircraft GW is identified by the manufacturer, just as a truck manufacturer publishes the GW. For all I know it may be because of the door knobs, not my authority to randomly decide that I know better than the guys that designed it. I checked in with a neighbor that is a lawyer, and his response was it was a topic he would explore in the event of a accident........and if enough assets were available.

Pays ya money, takes ya chance. I have worked too hard for this to be a question, and I am sure you have too.

A truck camper at the end of the day is a discretionary purchase, otherwise known as a toy.